Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

Change it to trade month instead?
Michael Scott No GIF

50% and F2 only? Surely Geelong could up the offer, I sure as hell wouldn't trade him for that, we need to at least make it half look like a win/break even for MFC.

He's not worth more than that unless he's taking a paycut.

Do you think the club has moved on from trying to secure Oliver or his very much still in their plans
I don't think they will too actively chase it and I don't think they ever were. Oliver wants to play for Geelong, Melbourne for a moment wanted him gone, Geelong remain in the same position.

We're interested but not if we have to trade much for him. Balls in Melbourne's court to say "okay okay, we want him out" or stick with it.

I have said that this year and last year he has been below standard as an AFL midfielder. Why would that ever end up in the I was wrong thread?

Actually his 17.5 touches and efficiency rate average for midfielders this season and his tackles and clearances rate above average for midfielders so saying he’s been below standard is factually wrong

I find the media narratives in trade week fascinating. They really rely on stories and razzing up the bigger clubs supporters. Almost like a playbook which in reality is the same boring stories as the year before. We need an unreasonable trader, a story about a PSD warning, fake tension, a mega trade not being discussed, a surprise last minute long shot etc etc. (Essendon are so bad that Geel is the only team that fits the bad guy narrative)

I mean apparently a duel AA for the last two years is worth less than Bailey Smith?

Yet we genuinely have reporters saying that guys like Noble ect are worth the world. Same with some of those Rich players that are north of 27.

Do you think the club has moved on from trying to secure Oliver or his very much still in their plans
I think we'll be going about our business as though it's not happening but with an eye on him/line to his management to see how it's going and be ready to move if need be. I'd also expect some real straight bat nothing answers whenever Mack/Wells etc are on trade radio.. We'll give away nothing and keep a really low profile on this.

I doubt they move on from anything until the period is closed, and even still they may be positioning things for an attempt next year etc.

WTF but yeah I guess our last committed Christian that I’m aware of went alright i guess and his old man before that 😇
I think Dempsey is a devout Christian. Hasn’t declared a specific religion, he’s actively involved in community service + charitable initiatives. The importance of giving back is evident in the projects he supports + often collaborates with organisations focused on mental health + well-being, which aligns with his values of compassion + empathy.
♥️ ♥️ ♥️
IMG_0773.jpeg

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah but WHs feelings have more weight than facts

Also the most telling fact is he only averages 61% time on ground. Not hard to do the math when that starts to rise. Anyway there’s no point talking about it as you can’t changed a stubborn man’s mind. He’s too deep in the “Bruhn sucks” mindset to think anything different.

An interesting piece in the Fairfax rags today:

Makes the excellent point that clubs can get caught up in their own hubris and their own mythology at times, and when that Duncan/Dangerfield/Guthrie/Stewart set retire, we have a big vacuum in experience, and recruiting too many accomplished, experienced but ill-disciplined and wayward recruits could be a real issue.

I actually met Tim and his wife as we both had kids in a small autism playgroup, my impression was she was well and truly checked out of the place (Geelong), the club couldn’t have done anything to keep Tim, the value we extracted out of that last year was insane, a top 5 Brownlow result, but I think it was best for him to head home. His boy who was there was non verbal and they had a long and arduous journey to go on.
The issue was his partner wanted to leave immediately + was angry Geelong refused. Experienced her family on Fb Geelong Cats’ page, who were aggressive + abusive. Said the WAGS were stuck up + racist, which wasn’t true. Some of the senior players’ WAGS organised a welcome for her + included her. Completely understand she missed her family + needed their support, desperately. Geelong paid for family to fly to Geelong, many times. Nothing was ever enough for her. They were in a very trying + really difficult situation. It was very sad 😢

Trade radio is infuriating. I put it on whilst I was in the bathroom getting ready and the first 3-4min were ads. They finally came back from a commercial break only for Cornes to say "that's all for today, catch ya later" and then went back to a commercial break.

I only heard ads for the 10min I listened.
Welcome to trade period being to long so they need to fill time and even the idiots on it only have so much bullshit to talk about so half of it ends up being adds

Who cares? We'd be getting him in to play footy, not lead a prayer group.

Yes what a beat up on diversity. 30% of Aussies are Catholic, mostly cruisey, and that figure would translate to footballers, especially of Irish descent. It's not exactly a radical faith, with rules on playing on the Sabbath, or drinking, for instance. The closest that article got was not eating meat on good Friday as a point of difference. Big woop.

I hope we are having a good look at Kennedy.

27 years old, experienced but not too many kms on the clock.

Hard trainer and committed Xian from what I hear.

Excellent club man, and much loved by other players.

No risk to culture - in fact would engage with Cats culture and grow it.

Strong inside player.

I would think pretty reasonable cost.

Good fit for us on a 3 year deal.
Kennedy placed 10th in Carlton’s BnF. Cripps, Walsh and Hewitt in the top 5.

Not bad when being played out of position and being sub on many occasions.

As a ‘recovering’ Catholic, I thought fasting + eating fish on Fridays went out with Vatican III?

Although, a plenary indulgence might be handy, at times 😉
Some more devout Catholics still do it.

One of my close friends is like this - she doesn't make any sort of big deal about it, just if we ever catch up for lunch/dinner on a Friday she'll always order a seafood dish.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back