Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

Cheers to Lore for their hard work in setting this up, and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft - and please practice patience grasshoppers if it's not updated in the immediate aftermath of completed trade

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

Basically now in someone else's court ..

Tennis Hit GIF by 2K Games

Who's Fed playing there?

I'm not watching that.

What's the gist?
is that
Sorry Clayton we can't get it done this year stay calm start looking for a farm on the surf coast we will make it happen next year maybe play a bit dead next season too that will help in us paying unders to Melbourne wink wink nudge nudge O/K.

Would love to see Oliver come out and request a trade after this, just to see Melbourne squirm.
Genuine chance of happening. Wait for the stories leaked to the media about his mental health and the impact getting shopped around but not being allowed to leave has had on him.

You see that and we know it's still on. Melbourne will be under huge pressure not to keep $1.2m for 6 years locked up in a guy with major off-field issues, who's overweight and doesn't want to be there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Genuine chance of happening. Wait for the stories leaked to the media about his mental health and the impact getting shopped around but not being allowed to leave has had on him.

You see that and we know it's still on. Melbourne will be under huge pressure not to keep $1.2m for 6 years locked up in a guy with major off-field issues, who's overweight and doesn't want to be there.

Surely if it's as definitive as Melbourne claim, then surely an announcement from him or his management stating he's staying puts it all to bed quite quickly?

We won't be pushing anything, the ball is squarely in the Oliver camp's court.

This was in the article about the Dogs driving a hard bargain for Smith. They're also claiming to drive a hard bargain for McRae.

Prior to Macrae nominating St Kilda as his preferred destination and when there was some chat amongst Geelong fans if we should chase him, I had a Geelong supporter telling me he was worth a first round pick - I tried explaining that no team is trading a first round pick for a 30yr who's been shifted the midfield and found himself in the VFL over the past two years

Bulldogs may want more, but he's not worth more than a 3rd round pick

Surely if it's as definitive as Melbourne claim, then surely an announcement from him or his management stating he's staying puts it all to bed quite quickly?

We won't be pushing anything, the ball is squarely in the Oliver camp's court.
Don't expect he would do that. He just got handed a big leg up in the power dynamics of his relationship with MFC. He gains nothing making that statement even if he stays

Last edited:
Id like a quiz …. whats the outcome for BSmith ….

1… R1 pick

2...R1 pick ..plus pick or player

3… No deal done by close of trade period...

2 for sure

What about when we expect the trade to be announced

I will run with Wednesday 16th October 7.27pm.

Going to be along week and a bit.

Don't exist he would do that. He just got handed a big leg up in the power dynamics of his relationship with MFC. He gains nothing making that statement even if he stays

Good point. What are the odds we revisit this in 12 months time?

Id like a quiz …. whats the outcome for BSmith ….

1… R1 pick

2...R1 pick ..plus pick or player

3… No deal done by close of trade period...

Option 2

2024 first round, with swap of later picks - just not sure if those will be 2024 or 2025 picks

Mackie said Melbourne's stance is 'all as he knows' but didn't Jumping Jack say Clayton reaffirmed his desire to move to the GFC to the club itself over the weekend?
Yeah that's what I was reliably told over the weekend.

I wouldn't read too much into what Mackie said - it was just a nice gently volley back across the net. Oliver chose to meet with the Cats -- he's the person in this whole situation that has a right to feel aggrieved -- MFC said they don't intend to trade Oliver. All that is just posturing in my opinion and the club telling their irate member base what they want to hear. This is not about what the club wants - if Oliver wants to leave then he'll leave no stone unturned (via his management) to make that happen. Does that mean he gets to Geelong - NO. But it doesn't mean we should believe everything coming from MFC either.

You can't tell me that Oliver still doesn't have a desire to leave - clearly he does. And until he comes out publicly and says categorically that he is staying - then I'll stick to my gut feel. And that is that there is still some stuff to play out.

All Mackie was doing was being polite and respecting that Oliver is still contracted. Doesn't mean squat (as we know).

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back