Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

Cheers to Lore for their hard work in setting this up, and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft - and please practice patience grasshoppers if it's not updated in the immediate aftermath of completed trade

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

Trade “week and a half” is a joke. They even said on trade radio yesterday that they don’t expect any trades to be done until next week.
I can almost bet with 100% certainty that if trade period was reduced to 3-5 days the exact same amount of trades would be done

Just the thought of the Dogs board going off about Geelong taking more of their talent, plus my later crack about Des's "marketability"
Love it frggr 😹
Because it was funny how it was written. Was written to be funny, so I laughed

Out loud
😹

Thanks for replying, with your info, read it again + it’s hilarious 😹

Lol if he’s basing on where he wants to play purely on marketing he can GAGF
It's a funny thing to say.

All players need to ensure they have some sort of fall back or security post AFL.

Pretty sure Selwood didnt go to GC because he was given the keys to the kingdom by Costa etc, and then Ablett made his choice.

While it is nice for it to be a fairytale and players play for the club because they love it, its not true. It's a business and a job. If they get the added bonus of loving their club thats good, but its just a bonus.

The out of contract non free agent situation is strange. It depends a lot on the clubs being reasonable and the player/agent choosing a club they think has the picks to get it done.

But say next year, an in-form SDK decides he must be in the same club as his brother, but Carlton only has pick 20 after compensation and academy picks ( I know the rules may change next year ), no 2nd rounder or future first, would we be happy to lose SDK for pick 20? No but what could we do about it?

The out of contract non free agent situation is strange. It depends a lot on the clubs being reasonable and the player/agent choosing a club they think has the picks to get it done.

But say next year, an in-form SDK decides he must be in the same club as his brother, but Carlton only has pick 20 after compensation and academy picks ( I know the rules may change next year ), no 2nd rounder or future first, would we be happy to lose SDK for pick 20? No but what could we do about it?
This will be something to watch when future trading is opened up as it will get tricky..

E.g Geelong trade 2025 1st 2026 1st and 2027 1st and some seconds for Reid and the following year try to get Cadman for a bunch of nothing picks and 2028 first as they have no picks left in the end GWS get screwed.
Could reverse those two trades with Cadman first and Reid second.

And 100% clubs will line up 2 or 3 massive trade ins year after year and each one they will have less and less to trade so the subsequent trades will be appalling for the clubs losing the players.

This is the problem with players having to much power but that is unlikely to change any time soon hell it may get worse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lyon’s body language is all over the place. Defensive, arms crossed.
Neck touching indicates insecurities, apprehension, anxiety, worries or issues.
Waving arms around, attempting to dominate.
Hands clasped, not feeling confident.

His ludicrous ‘hypothetical’ that WCE would offer Reid for Smith is hilarious 😹

Going from what some ITKs have been saying about TDKs offer its likely TDK takes a massive deal to Brisbane when OOC. If Carlton are only chasing SDK to keep TDK happy, and SDKs choice is Carlton or Geelong then I'd be willing to bet sdk stays long term

IMG_0815.jpeg IMG_0816.jpeg IMG_0817.jpeg Yes please. He is one of maybe a dozen players in the entire comp who is exactly what we need, and could make a massive difference to our fortunes immediately.

What’s his current contract status?

Going from what some ITKs have been saying about TDKs offer its likely TDK takes a massive deal to Brisbane when OOC. If Carlton are only chasing SDK to keep TDK happy, and SDKs choice is Carlton or Geelong then I'd be willing to bet sdk stays long term

You may well be right but I was highlighting the broader issue of when the receiving club has a poor draft hand but the quality player is determined to get to that club. Which can also include the situation where the receiving club deliberately trades out their good picks or uses them on another player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back