Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

Cheers to Lore for their hard work in setting this up, and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft - and please practice patience grasshoppers if it's not updated in the immediate aftermath of completed trade

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

MFC don't want to lose face now by perceptively taking unders (or offering overs) to trade CO which is their conundrum. The only plausible way they survive this PR disaster/crisis with any CO trade to GFC considered palatable in the minds of its players, fans and other stakeholders is to proclaim, "CO was a required player and valued player, CO wanted to depart following a meeting with GFC arranged by his management, we believe MFC has been adequately compensated". (Unfortunately, the reality is none of those three statements will likely be honest or true with any trade to GFC perpetuating their untrustworthiness). Absolute debacle.

While I think Oliver has his own issues, it's not as if Melbourne are a shining example of perfect club culture itself.

It would be.....convenient.... for Oliver to be made the scapegoat for the failings and flaws of others (Goodwin etc).

Melbourne's club environment shouldn't be understated as a factor in Oliver's last few years.

Get him out of the Melbourne Football Club and he'll turn things around, I'm certain.

Bews signed on for 2025. Oh joy😏
I mean right now we have literally no small defenders, Bews who is getting on but was hardly awful in his few games, and Mullins who is too green to be relied on in games let alone defence.
Bews is cheap and good insurance.

Just pay the man

If he helps us win a flag in 2025 on 1.3 mill not one single person will give a shit

EXACTLY! How is this a debate? We are ****ing Geelong.
We say we want someone, we go and get them.

We've never held back on stuff like this.
Be aggressive and go after him.

Dees are backed into a corner, what would really drive the knife is Clayton basically telling everyone without actually saying it that he wants to be at Geelong in 2025.
Him liking that CENCH post on Instagram saying "Clayton wants to go to the Cats" was a big step as it spread like wildfire from there...but really put the boots in to the Dees and drive it Home that he wants TF out of that basket case organisation.

Someone photoshop him in a Cats jersey and tag his instagram lol

Providing we've done our due diligence on Oliver (which we're all assuming they have) then just do it Cats.

It it goes wrong, it goes wrong. At least we gave it a shot. That's more than can be said for most.

Would prefer that than sitting here in 12 months time, having lost a tight prelim or GF with no Oliver, and just thinking "what if?" while another mediocre side storms through.

We've got the young talent now, the security blanket is there.

What we don't have is the 24-28 year old pieces. We've all said it for 2 years now.

That's Smith & Oliver. Get it done Cats.

Been offline today and probably will be tomorrow as I’ve been dealing with some personal stuff, just catching up now and been messaging and on calls…

So, basically I just got off the phone with my Melbourne source an hour ago and what’s happening is there’s still so much drama happening internally there. Oliver is still making it clear he wants Cats, just not publicly because he is anxious if it doesn’t get over the line the playing group will be disgruntled with him.

The report that the “playing group is happy to see him go” is a little misleading by channel 10. They’d be happy for him to go if it helps him, nobody is going to begrudge him after this and they’ve shown their support. From what I’m hearing is they’re understanding of his position and aren’t pressuring him to stay. But they’re not “happy” in the sense that they can’t wait to see the back of him.

What the report gets right is Demons became disgruntled over the fact Geelong asked for so much of the salary to be paid. The draft pick is believed to be more flexible but Geelong were firm on where they stand on paying X amount of the contract. That’s why Melbourne bridged up publicly, they genuinely want it paid in full to save face and Geelong basically walked away saying “be realistic.” And for now that’s where it ended.

Now, this is why are McClure and Barrett and others reporting it’s not dead. It’s because of this notion that the parties were too far apart opposed to Oliver never being available, which we all know is a lie. So, they’ve deduced along with others internally at both clubs that over the course of this week the gap can be bridged and it won’t necessarily need Oliver making a scene for it to get there.

This isn’t all, my Geelong source has said Mackie is walking around with extra attitude this year and half expects him to start needling opposition clubs like his playing days. There is an air of confidence with Geelong and they know this offseason is pivotal after another prelim loss and Mackie knows how strong is hand and leverage is with the Smith trade. These media leaks are intentional and the media is returning the favour by pushing our agenda of walking Smith to the draft and getting him for a first round pick anyway if Dogs don’t play ball. If we can dedicate just one first rounder to Smith and be assured of that it allows an immediate push for Oliver with more flexibility.

Now, why is all this important? It’s bubbling and if talks start officially, the pressure of it being a THIRD time Oliver is being shopped, will be too much for Melbourne to just talk their way out of and walk away from again. The fact they’ve shut this down any inkling of it reopening will cause absolute fireworks and that’s why the journalists won’t drop it, they know if anything leaks this will instantly become the biggest saga in recent years. Could you imagine the headlines… again, a THIRD time he is shopped. There is smoke, will there be fire? All the dominoes are lined up it’s just whether they get the nudge in time to fall.

I sense Friday is a big day but that’s just my hunch.

That’s all for now, thanks everybody.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back