Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

Cheers to Lore for their hard work in setting this up, and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft - and please practice patience grasshoppers if it's not updated in the immediate aftermath of completed trade

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

😂

Surely the only thing more desperate & sad than rejecting a first round pick & walking Smith to the draft is to trade back into the first round so you can redraft an unwanted player

They don't need to actually do it, they just need to be able to make the credible threat that they will do it.

I reckon our R1 could be pretty handy for the Doggies to use if they want to get hold of #11 or #13.

Might mean they actually make the Smith trade before the last moments of trade period to get in the game with some amo (our #17) and some time to use it.

Doggies ain’t keen on 17 alone but if they took it and used it correctly they can still make a win out of it.

Nobody could make that threat seem credible.

Desperate? Yes.
Childish? Yes
Nonsensical? Yes.

Credible? Not a chance.

Why let him go to the draft and lose one first round pick when you could just reselect him and lose two first round picks instead!!!!

I mean right now we have literally no small defenders, Bews who is getting on but was hardly awful in his few games, and Mullins who is too green to be relied on in games let alone defence.
Bews is cheap and good insurance.
Zuthrie, Humphries and Jack Henry can play small no worries. There aren't really three categories of height any more in defence.

I mean right now we have literally no small defenders, Bews who is getting on but was hardly awful in his few games, and Mullins who is too green to be relied on in games let alone defence.
Bews is cheap and good insurance.

Bews is playing ok if we want maturity and depth but let's not overegg it. He spent almost the entire year in the VFL and was ok at best when he played.

Mullin, O'Connor, Guthrie x2, Humphries, Atkins, Kolo, Stewart and Bowes have all played as small defenders. We're not short on options.

Yes I think there's a general acceptance that what MFC are saying publicly Vs privately are poles apart. As I said, I think the most telling aspect of all this is the complete silence from Oliver and his management group. Until they put this whole thing to bed and kill of any speculation, I'm personally of the view that it's still got life.

As for Oliver turning up to the B&F ........means absolutely nothing.

Oliver was advised to attend the b&f for 2 reasons -

1. They didn’t want to burn bridges with the club in the event that a trade couldn’t be organised.
2. To basically demonstrate he was more professional than some others that were in the room with him that night

He probably should have stayed as a small back.

He played solid footy in that role.

He was just cooked this year with injuries. Struggled with a knee injury and then did something to his hand when we was battling away in the VFL because of the knee.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FFS Geelong & Bulldogs, just do it!! There is no sensible reason why this should drag out until Wednesday at 7.30pm. Smith has left WB. He wants to come to Geelong. He doesn't want to go anywhere else. We all know Mackie will throw in a late or future pick on top of our 1st rounder this year. So just do it.

Remember the Dangerfield deal in 2015. It happened minutes after official trade began.

FFS Geelong & Bulldogs, just do it!! There is no sensible reason why this should drag out until Wednesday at 7.30pm. Smith has left WB. He wants to come to Geelong. He doesn't want to go anywhere else. We all know Mackie will throw in a late or future pick on top of our 1st rounder this year. So just do it.

Remember the Dangerfield deal in 2015. It happened minutes after official trade began.

And Adelaide copped a heap of backlash for being soft on that trade. I would be shocked if the Smith deal landed before next Wednesday personally.

Sure there is.

Teams offer up more to get the trade over the line in the last moments.

I have no doubt we will offer more on the last day of the trade period than we are offering now.

That is why most deals take so long.

Unless the Dogs want/need our pick/picks to use in other trades (they might) they have no reason to make the trade this early.

As much as I'd love for a trade to be completed, I gotta be realistic to how things work.

He might not. He's a lot more pugilistic than Wells.

They don't need to actually do it, they just need to be able to make the credible threat that they will do it.
It's not a "credible" threat though.

Instead of GAINING a first rounder, they would be SPENDING a first rounder. Effectively giving up two first rounders. For a bloke who openly says he doesn't want to be there.

It would be insane.

AFL wants it dragged out for media attention

Yes I think there's a general acceptance that what MFC are saying publicly Vs privately are poles apart. As I said, I think the most telling aspect of all this is the complete silence from Oliver and his management group. Until they put this whole thing to bed and kill of any speculation, I'm personally of the view that it's still got life.

As for Oliver turning up to the B&F ........means absolutely nothing.
Open bar at the B&F right? I’d go 😂

Thought I'd raise this here after an interesting discussion on FB that Dangerfield should only get a 1-yr and not the reported 2-yr deal thats seemingly been agreed to. I'm trying to make the point that a two year deal would be as much about list management & staggering retirements, knowing where the salary cap stands etc

Aging players out of contract at the end of next season will be Bews, Blicavs, Duncan*, Guthrie & Stanley* and that's 1187 games to date - *based on Mitch & Rhys signing 1-yr deals

Dangerfield currently has 337 games under his belt, then there's Atkins who turns 30 next September with 127 games - add these two to the above list and that's currently 1651 games of experience before any games are played in 2025

Based on current contract list on Footywire, aging players out of contract in 26 - Kolodjashnij & O'Connor with a combined 320 games

Looking at the picture over two years, I can totally understand why we'd be quite happy to sign Dangerfield on a two year deal, and thinking we'd likely try to sign 1-yr extensions for at least 1 or 2 players out of contract at the end of next season to stagger out retirements

For context, from our retirements & delistings this season, we lost 988 games of experience - not sure we suddenly want to be losing 1200/1300 games in one year and then like a quarter of that the next

There's plenty of reason. Dogs will just bank whatever concessions we make and stall out for more until the deadline in the hope that some unexpected trade changes what we can give.

Any offer we make before then is counter productive

Oliver was advised to attend the b&f for 2 reasons -

1. They didn’t want to burn bridges with the club in the event that a trade couldn’t be organised.
2. To basically demonstrate he was more professional than some others that were in the room with him that night
That may be so. I reckon there’s more to it.
Two years of infighting at MFC, disgruntled players, egos exploding from top to bottom, contradictory comments leaked to press. Then spurious love fest towards Oliver. Now silence, seems to speak volumes 🤷🏻‍♀️

It's not a "credible" threat though.

Instead of GAINING a first rounder, they would be SPENDING a first rounder. Effectively giving up two first rounders. For a bloke who openly says he doesn't want to be there.

It would be insane.
And they also need to trade for that first round pick they will then use on Smith.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back