Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

Cheers to Lore for their hard work in setting this up, and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft - and please practice patience grasshoppers if it's not updated in the immediate aftermath of completed trade

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

How about Clayton tears up his contract, and we sign him as DFA... He can say he was high and lacked capacity when he initially signed the contract lol

Because that’s not how delisted free agents work and he’d have to go via the draft - that’s if he was permitted to nominate for it

I'll really love the face saving this conversion happens:

"We saved 1.3m pa in salary cap!"

"awesome! What new players are we spending it on?"

"Ummmm, Tom Campbell"
We'll get Butters next year instead anyway! Lol

I wouldn’t rule out Jhye Clark’s name being floated before the week is out.

If Oliver were to come, that is two more midfielders ahead of him and he didn’t even make an emergency in finals.

Could be a painful exit there to get Oliver.
I’d prefer to deal Jhye Clark and keep or F1 if that was a possibility but I doubt it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d prefer to deal Jhye Clark and keep or F1 if that was a possibility but I doubt it.
If we're getting Oliver and all goes according to plan, then that pick is going to nudging 20.

It might happen regardless even if we flop a bit, with '25 promising to be a heavily compromised draft.

No matter where you rate Clark, we're better off hoping he realises his talent than we are turfing him to keep a pick that is much more likely to be a Stephens/Lang/Smedts than it is a Max Holmes.

Look I like trading and drafting as much as the next guy but I do feel sometimes that I wish they'd just get it over with, like whoever the club backs in the end its all a bit of "**** it we ball, these are our people now"

if we get Smith and Oliver
"****ing brilliant players, astutely played Mackie"
If we just get Smith
"star of a player and we avoided a basketcase, astutely played Mackie"
If we just went to the draft
"Gee these guys looks like hidden gems, astutely played Mackie"

idk maybe its just me

Knevitt isn’t worth anything, Melbourne won’t want him.

Tbh I’m probably in the minority, but I’d consider Clark if it saved us our F1. Although with Oliver and Smith we’d be backing ourselves in for top 4, so our F1 might not be until the late teens.
Clark was pick 7 now we'd trade him out to keep our F1, real chance it's 18? I'd keep the kid around for a season or two before we try to pawn him off. I'm not a fan of him but at least give the guy a real go at it.

Nailed it again mate...down to the attitudes on all sides, the way it's being played, and what the real points of contention are. Even got the stuff about the contract being the real issue, which other journos have ran with.

Kudos mate, brilliant to know we have a true ITK on our board now :)
Last week, when their B&F was happening- a poster here said something along the lines of “it will be arms around Clayton tonight, but come Monday, the trade will still be on”… can’t remember who wrote it, but it was astute.

Fox Sport Trade Day on Foxtel, right meow. Who is the guy on the left with the chipmunk voice?

What’s-his-name, former Poos+Wees player wearing cheap gaol glasses, just delivered a scathing attack against MFC 👏🏻

No I don't think. Think of changing jobs, you don't carry your last contract with you
Oh? Please help me to comprehend. . .MFC are demanding Geelong pays Oliver’s full $1.3m contract salary, right? In addition Dees want a #1 pick from every Geelong Premiership player’s first born son + a #2 pick from every Geelong Premiership player’s first born daughter 🤷🏻‍♀️

Oh? Please help me to comprehend. . .MFC are demanding Geelong pays Oliver’s full $1.3m contract salary, right? In addition Dees want a #1 pick from every Geelong Premiership player’s first born son + a #2 pick from every Geelong Premiership player’s first born daughter 🤷🏻‍♀️
CO wants to leave. IMO MFC want him to leave but they are posturing, and why not?

Assuming there are contractual performance issues already on the table wrt CO's behaviours and performance then there is certainly wriggle room for some negotiation.

If the contract is terminated it is not carried forward to the next gig. If the contract is broken by either or both parties there is potential for legal shit.

My earlier post also raised the potential for serious action down the track if MFC force CO to honour the contract to his physical or mental detriment, given MFC has form on both and CO's issues are presumably well documented.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back