Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

Cheers to Lore for their hard work in setting this up, and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft - and please practice patience grasshoppers if it's not updated in the immediate aftermath of completed trade

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

Good points but I think Melbourne should be looking at improving their own team and culture in order to get better results, and not worry about what might happen if Oliver joins Geelong.

With Oliver leaving, they free up cap, get a pick, keep Petracca and others happy, and start on improving their culture.
Heard an interesting account of Luke Jackson’s exit interview with Goodwin.
Very credible source.
Was very short and once Jackson confirmed he was going he was told to f**** off , we don’t need you.
Remember - this was after he virtually gave them the flag with his 3rd 1/4 in the GF.
That’s horrible culture if true.☹️

Trade machinations possibly in play. If Clarry has stipulated he wants out then his management team will probably get it done. Fresh contract and all.
Like I've said before MFC cannot force him to stay under the contract as there are clearly disputable issues on record from all parties. Hence if they do force CO he can likely table all sorts of things that would potentially void the contract or at least trigger renegotiation clauses. It's also likely MFC could do the same.

However MFC has a duty under all sorts of laws and regulations to provide sound governance and a safe and secure environment, and I would be surprised if they have a leg to stand on in that respect. If I was on the Board I would be just a little jumpy about potential liabilities coming in my direction from multiple sources including CO, Petracca and maybe others.

Very credible source.
Was very short and once Jackson confirmed he was going he was told to f**** off , we don’t need you.
Remember - this was after he virtually gave them the flag with his 3rd 1/4 in the GF.
All roads lead to Rome ...

Am I correct in reading that GC are willing to give up pick six (!) for a 27yo Daniel Rioli, and Richmond are not only rejecting it but are asking for pick 13 as well?

That's utter madness, the guy is a slightly above average HBF who will turn 28 not long after next season starts. At least with the Bowes deal we chewed up a bunch of salary cap space, this is bonkers.
Pick 13 alone is overs.. he’s good and if value but 6 is Tuggers tugging and 13 is still overs IMO… but sure it’s better than the fantasy land of 6 …

And if GC are stupid enough to pay it.. it just goes to show how little they as a club actually value the RD1 treasure trove of picks they’ve had over time.

Go Catters

Very credible source.
I think the idea that some of their players are bigger than the club strikes a nerve because it's true.

According to my dogs source, Brad Close was the player they initially wanted included in the Smith deal. Apparently we had absolutely no interest in that suggestion.
As we should not

Go Catters

Agree. His role may have changed somewhat, doesn't kick as many goals as previously, but absolute integral part of our system. Unless he's gagging to get out, he's still our tested gold. Mannagh ain't going anywhere, so forget that.
Can't believe these names even enter the mix.
If they can't find another way with dollars, Oliver at the moment, is not worth it.

Look no one has to go for Oliver and I agree this year we keep them all.

It's more a discussion for 12 months time if a club offers close or mannagh 4 or 5 years and big $ (and they would have to want to go we wouldn't push either out) about do we match that-as it's a lot of cap to invest in small forward when stengle is tied up till 29 and miers will stay long term on similar $ or do we let one of the two go.

There is a possibility that it might ultimately be better for us (assuming we would save say 750k and get a good 1st rounder for either) to take that cap and pick and use it to get for example a top end mid or top end kpf. As we arguably need those types more and small forward is our strongest position that we can best cover.
But its a discussion for next year not now as there's no chance those guys leave this year (but both are ooc next year).

I agree he won't be traded.

I'm just saying if I had to pick Mannagh or Close to go... It would be Close.

Close is a very solid little player and we all rate him.

I am not having a go at Close here btw.
You mean it would be close … as in close between them or it would be close.. as in close

Glad that issue is closed

Go Catters

The thing that irritates me the most about the AFL is the freebies that are handed out as a reward for being shit.

I understand why equalisation matters, and I think the draft and salary cap are very important. But one-off handouts like priority picks? Give me a break. The right way to do it is to set the system up so that equalisation does its job, and then it should be up to the clubs.

The thing about Geelong, and I’m not just saying this because I’m a supporter, is that we are the best run club in the AFL. It’s undeniably true. Only Sydney comes close, and no surprise that their on field record over the past 25 years is pretty impressive too.

The only “advantage” we’ve had is father-son, and that’s equally available to all clubs other than GWS and GC, but they’ve both had so many other advantages it really doesn’t matter in their case. We’ve had no priority picks, very few top 10 draft picks, no COLA, no handouts. Nothing. We’ve bucked the system by playing the off field game better.

These salty supporters of other clubs are either jealous, or can’t get their heads around the fact that their own club is simply incompetent in comparison. It comes with the territory of being good. Tall poppy syndrome alive and well.

Reg Hickey: like Trump Maga supporters, there's a smaller percentage of the human population that are half-pie nutters with a smaller percentage of AFL supporters being no different, along with their club bias. And in life, it's generally excepted that those who bark the loudest get heard the most, hence the majority of nutters/big mouths are drawn to public speaking forums such as Big Footy, if that's where their interest and dumb-ass opinions lie.

However and thankfully, there's a good proportion of footy fans from other clubs that very much acknowledge that Geelong is an exceptionally well run football club and wished their club could be like Cats. In conclusion Reg Hickey:, it's best not be bothered by these Big Footy nutters, coz they'll argue forever and a day about the latest made-up football conspiracy theory and keep regurgitating it until they're blue in the face..... so best to just 'ignore them'.

Look no one has to go for Oliver and I agree this year we keep them all.

It's more a discussion for 12 months time if a club offers close or mannagh 4 or 5 years and big $ (and they would have to want to go we wouldn't push either out) about do we match that-as it's a lot of cap to invest in small forward when stengle is tied up till 29 and miers will stay long term on similar $ or do we let one of the two go.

There is a possibility that it might ultimately be better for us (assuming we would save say 750k and get a good 1st rounder for either) to take that cap and pick and use it to get for example a top end mid or top end kpf. As we arguably need those types more and small forward is our strongest position that we can best cover.
But its a discussion for next year not now as there's no chance those guys leave this year (but both are ooc next year).

That's true, I'm glad one of us remembers to eye the future. Of course other players enter that story, like Atkins and Bowes. Possible exits like Danger, Cuthrie, Duncan, Bews, and dependent on who shapes up in'25, Clark, Clohesy, Mullin etc. I have a feeling we'll look very different in '26. But as usual, our money will be well spent.

I am in the 'I want Oliver camp'. But I still think the Dees won't trade him. Clearly they would if they got a FR1 and the entire salary tab picked up by us. But I just can't see us doing that. It's not how we operate; we value the salary cap, like trade capital, as a valuble asset that requires careful and strategic management. It's been a big part of our success over the years.

I also genuinely believe rival clubs are sick of us competing year-after-year and Melbourne don't want to give us a big leg up for another opportunity at a flag. They'll be concerned our culture and environment will get the best out of him and make them look like fools. Just my gut feel, I could be very wrong about that.

I am very happy for us to roll the dice on this one- but I can't see it happening, even if he does agree to a pay cut. No doubt lots of talks will be happening this weekend; I think we will have a clear idea come Monday morning whether this actually has any legs or not.

But regardless, I love the fact that we continue to push the envelope in the pursuit of further success.

Well written article Klink: and do agree with all being said including our careful strategic management of the salary cap and the 'buy-in' of all players accepting less than the open-market which has been a vital ingredient to our on-going success and this extraordinarily, dates all the way back to 2007 and thereafter. But I still think we're a very live chance of getting Oliver, however it will not be until next Wednesday come 7.30pm that we'll likely know the final outcome.... here's hoping and GO CATS !!!

Last edited:
Reg Hickey: like Trump Maga supporters, there's a smaller percentage of the human population that are half-pie nutters with a smaller percentage of AFL supporters being no different, along with their club bias. And in life, it's generally excepted that those who bark the loudest get heard the most, hence the majority of nutters/big mouths are drawn to public speaking forums such as Big Footy, if that's where their interest and dumb-ass opinions lie.

However and thankfully, there's a good proportion of footy fans from other clubs that very much acknowledge that Geelong is an exceptionally well run football club and wished their club could be like Cats. In conclusion Reg Hickey:, it's best not be bothered by these Big Footy nutters, coz they'll argue forever and a day about the latest made-up football conspiracy theory and keep regurgitating it until they're blue in the face..... so best to just 'ignore them'.

As opposed to our forum, where I like to think everyone here is as enlightened and inspirational as Kamala.
No orange basement dwellers- Even though we only have a concept of a plan., :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As opposed to our forum, where I like to think everyone here is as enlightened and inspirational as Kamala.
No orange basement dwellers- Even though we only have a concept of a plan., :)

Play it Sam:.... it's generally an absolute pleasure to follow and participate on the Geelong Big Footy forum with many Geelong supporters so welcoming knowledgeable when it comes to discussing all things footy but also life in general.

And sure, we don't always 100% agree on every topic but at the very least, we're still 95% of the time extremely respectful and open-minded to each others points of view and opinions. Unfortunately with the 'main board', that's where the majority of 'nutters' congregate (with Richmond supporters having a highly 'unhealthy' percentage of nutters) and any thread that maybe worth viewing &/or discussing is highjacked by them, making the 'main board' UNBEARABLE to follow.

Last edited:
Surely if Port acquire Lukocious they will deploy him in the F50.

He, Georgiades and Rioli are something to build around without putting all their chips in with frailer prospects like Marshall and Dixon.
Also has the added benefit of making Lord expendable to their needs

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back