Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

Cheers to Lore for their hard work in setting this up, and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft - and please practice patience grasshoppers if it's not updated in the immediate aftermath of completed trade

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

The Hun: "Young midfielders Jhye Clark and Mitch Knevitt were floated as a potential deal" (for Oliver)
Very funny Tom Michell, what's your source?
Never, ever, let it be said that these journos, desperate for info, don't stalk Big Footy. That was us.
What's the bet- Next minute it will be Close and Mannagh appear in print. Not floating, drowning.
Well until clubd come out and call them liars they can get away with it. Simple as that really. Journos have close to no accountability across multiple platforms

Yes i hope Geel recruit Oliver , seriously talented player as evidenced by 21 and 22 back to back Coaches award /votes so arguably the best player in the comp at that time , and that is only 2 years ago

And dont kid yourself , Geel are going to have to pay plenty to get him , and like in all deals of this magnitude give up something they dont really want to give up

My educated guess would be if he ends up in the blue and white hoops , Geelongs 1st round pick , which would be about pick 20 , plus Jhye Clark ( he was an early pick at 7 , so early into his career , thus still a bit of currency with him ) and his salary trimmed to just under 1million and under Camerons 1.05 million

Geel wont like losing Clark , but they are going to have throw in something decent plus the 1st round pick to get a player with Olivers playing credentials

Thats the real world not the big footy world , where the selling club supporters want the world , and the buying clubs supporters want to pay peanuts
What makes you think Jhye Clark would agree to this?

I said it with SDK but i will say it for Close or anyone else being bought up.... I would NOT trade anyone unless THEY came to us asking for a trade and even then it would depend on what we get, how long they have left and if we have a replacement ready or soon to be ready.
No one wants to go to Melb or the dogs that is for sure!!!

Well until clubd come out and call them liars they can get away with it. Simple as that really. Journos have close to no accountability across multiple platforms
Imagine if football journos and pundits were held to the same standard and scrutiny they hold for players and clubs. There’d be maybe four still employed.

That's true, I'm glad one of us remembers to eye the future. Of course other players enter that story, like Atkins and Bowes. Possible exits like Danger, Cuthrie, Duncan, Bews, and dependent on who shapes up in'25, Clark, Clohesy, Mullin etc. I have a feeling we'll look very different in '26. But as usual, our money will be well spent.

Look 100 % and we will have guys like blitz Guthrie Duncan and maybe Danger etc all go so we will have cap room. Some of it just becomes more a policy thing and cap balance decision as to how much you want to spend on one position on the field as a pose to another. Someone like mannagh will be interesting as he's a late starter and this is his last big contract (and he has a young family to provide for) so if another team offers him overs on the contract he may want to take it. Close is slightly different in terms of family situation but again is in the prime age bracket and teams might offer a lot.

I'm open to keeping everyone but I'm also realistic that if the club targets guys like Reid, cadman, butters etc that to get any of them it may mean giving up one of our players either for the capspace or picks (probably both) that it will generate-and small fwds is out strongest line. But we do have a record of keeping most players that we want to.

If WCE split their pick 3 in order to land Baker, I'll laugh

They won't and some of these journos are morons as to what trading up the order costs.
They will probably get Carlton future 1st and 2nd for barass.
They will either offer the Carlton fr1 or wce current r2 and wce fr2 for baker. 3 will be for draper at the draft.

Yes i hope Geel recruit Oliver , seriously talented player as evidenced by 21 and 22 back to back Coaches award /votes so arguably the best player in the comp at that time , and that is only 2 years ago

And dont kid yourself , Geel are going to have to pay plenty to get him , and like in all deals of this magnitude give up something they dont really want to give up

My educated guess would be if he ends up in the blue and white hoops , Geelongs 1st round pick , which would be about pick 20 , plus Jhye Clark ( he was an early pick at 7 , so early into his career , thus still a bit of currency with him ) and his salary trimmed to just under 1million and under Camerons 1.05 million

Geel wont like losing Clark , but they are going to have throw in something decent plus the 1st round pick to get a player with Olivers playing credentials

Thats the real world not the big footy world , where the selling club supporters want the world , and the buying clubs supporters want to pay peanuts

No we won't. The contract is an albatross. Melb will be lucky to get our r1 let alone anything else and if we were to trade something else it wouldn't be Clark.
I don't think the trade happens anyway as CO won't take that big a haircut.

They won't and some of these journos are morons as to what trading up the order costs.
They will probably get Carlton future 1st and 2nd for barass.
They will either offer the Carlton fr1 or wce current r2 and wce fr2 for baker. 3 will be for draper at the draft.
One round 1 pick is more than enough for liam baker... Very generous actually.

Look no one has to go for Oliver and I agree this year we keep them all.

It's more a discussion for 12 months time if a club offers close or mannagh 4 or 5 years and big $ (and they would have to want to go we wouldn't push either out) about do we match that-as it's a lot of cap to invest in small forward when stengle is tied up till 29 and miers will stay long term on similar $ or do we let one of the two go.

There is a possibility that it might ultimately be better for us (assuming we would save say 750k and get a good 1st rounder for either) to take that cap and pick and use it to get for example a top end mid or top end kpf. As we arguably need those types more and small forward is our strongest position that we can best cover.
But its a discussion for next year not now as there's no chance those guys leave this year (but both are ooc next year).
It really depends upon who of the veterans are retiring.

Hopefully our less experienced players improve in 2025.

Who will make AFL level from our VFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It really depends upon who of the veterans are retiring.

Hopefully our less experienced players improve in 2025.

Who will make AFL level from our VFL.
Thr obvious one i would be expecting b22 is jhye clark.

Love what he gives us. Those hard in and under bulls can take a little longer to come on.

He will be a good player.

COS i would like to see 10-12 games from at the level or even a full season.

Having SDK and COS is a nice rock solid backline aerially.

Knevitt i think will end up delisted end of 25, has hardly come on at all

Thr obvious one i would be expecting b22 is jhye clark.

Love what he gives us. Those hard in and under bulls can take a little longer to come on.

He will be a good player.

COS i would like to see 10-12 games from at the level or even a full season.

Having SDK and COS is a nice rock solid backline aerially.

Knevitt i think will end up delisted end of 25, has hardly come on at all
Clark reminds me of Zuthrie. The thing is, didn’t we draft Clark at #7? If he’s still developing, what pick would he draw?

BTW what’s happened with Dusty going to Suns? When asked at the Brownlow he said he’s happily retired.
That’s your answer.
Journos don’t want to harp on it. They will look stupid as they all thought he was going to the Suns until Cotchin laughed and said it won’t happen.

Clark reminds me of Zuthrie. The thing is, didn’t we draft Clark at #7? If he’s still developing, what pick would he draw?
I honestly wouldnt trade him, nor imagine he wants to go.

But you would expect a first rounder for him. He has done nothing to suggest he isnt worth it.

I would be dissappointed if he doesnt crack b22 in his third season as a regular being a top 10 pick.

I will go against the common thinking here... Journos don't make much up.

They get told a truck load of stuff from sources, some good, some not so good. Unfortunately the race to be first seems more important to some than being right so they don't cross check and cross check.. They aren't just making stuff up for shits and giggles, they are just running with it before it's checked properly.

And the other part I reckon is they are strategically leaked stuff to get it public to just either distract or help move a situation, someone has told the HUN that Clark and Knev had been offered as a package, it may have been pure spit balling from the Cats or a hypothetical asking if they wanted out would that help the Dee's...
Doesn't mean it's going to happen, doesn't mean it isn't true.

The people that react and give it oxygen actually make it all worse, if it helps clicks/podcast listens, social media comments etc. It means the media are more likely to check less knowing it drives engagement

Just my 2c worth.
Not worth getting your knickers in a twist just because a Journo has mentioned something

But you would expect a first rounder for him. He has done nothing to suggest he isnt worth it.

I would be dissappointed if he doesnt crack b22 in his third season as a regular being a top 10 pick.

Draft picks that are not instant hits at AFL level depreciate like a car.

I doubt you would find anyone that would be willing to trade a first rounder in this draft for Clark based upon his first two years.

Which by the way is why you wouldn't trade him.

At this point you just hope he bounces.

I don't think the Oliver deal will go through but if it did, Clark would go from not making our best 22 for the second half of the season, to having three others jump ahead of him in the queue in Smith, Oliver and C.Guthrie. Very difficult to see him get a game if that happened.

Clark was playing early in the season in the guts in the AFL.

Then they worked out he was far from ready to be doing that and played a couple more games outside the CBAs before dropping out of the side.

He wasn’t even playing in the guts in the VFL come the end of the year.

Not sure he will break into the middle in the AFL next year with Smith coming in + possibly Guthrie and even Oliver who will eat up CBAs.

Clark can’t really play any other posi in the AFL.

Maybe 2026 he will breakout.

It sounds like I’m writing him off and I do hope he comes out flying next year but I reckon he still will need more time to develop his body.

I’ll take him beating the door down week in, week out in the VFL guts if he can do that.

I will go against the common thinking here... Journos don't make much up.

They get told a truck load of stuff from sources, some good, some not so good. Unfortunately the race to be first seems more important to some than being right so they don't cross check and cross check.. They aren't just making stuff up for shits and giggles, they are just running with it before it's checked properly.

And the other part I reckon is they are strategically leaked stuff to get it public to just either distract or help move a situation, someone has told the HUN that Clark and Knev had been offered as a package, it may have been pure spit balling from the Cats or a hypothetical asking if they wanted out would that help the Dee's...
Doesn't mean it's going to happen, doesn't mean it isn't true.

The people that react and give it oxygen actually make it all worse, if it helps clicks/podcast listens, social media comments etc. It means the media are more likely to check less knowing it drives engagement

Just my 2c worth.
Not worth getting your knickers in a twist just because a Journo has mentioned something
They will also get fed conflicting information from self interested parties. It's as unreasonable to assume they'll get everything right on trades as it is the assume the weatherman so be 100% accurate

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back