Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

Cheers to Lore for their hard work in setting this up, and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft - and please practice patience grasshoppers if it's not updated in the immediate aftermath of completed trade

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

At the end of the day… ain’t no way the Dogs don’t take our R1 if Mackie doesn’t budge.

I don’t know how it works, but maybe Mackie can sign his part of the deal for whatever it is he is offering and take off.

Power either signs the other half and submits it or he doesn’t and Smith walks and we get him anyway in the ND.

I can’t see a professional organisation flush #17 down the toilet… Especially when it’s actually a realistic offer imo.

They dreaming if they are serious about a top 10 selection.

Last edited:
It really depends upon who of the veterans are retiring.

Hopefully our less experienced players improve in 2025.

Who will make AFL level from our VFL.

Clark and knevitt I am very confident on with the right opportunities.
Stevens willtshire and clohesy I'm not sure yet and not sure on our development talls.

At the end of the day… ain’t no way the Dogs don’t take our R1 if Mackie doesn’t budge.

I don’t know how it works, but maybe Mackie can sign his part of the deal for whatever it is he is offering and takes off.

Power either signs the other half and submits it or he doesn’t and Smith walks and we get him anyway in the ND.

I can’t see a professional organisation flush #17 down the toilet… Especially when it’s actually a realistic offer imo.

There's no 3rd club that would trade us a top 10 pick anyway and if we got it we would keep it. Power knows it won't happen.

Will be something like 17 and a future 2nd.

I don’t know how it works, but maybe Mackie can sign his part of the deal for whatever it is he is offering and takes off.

The other factor is Connors, he won't let it happen.

He's got a good relationship with Geelong. Always has.

Unsure of who he supports, but do know his sister is a Geelong supporter, so you'd assume there was some fondness there too before he got into the management game.

He'll put some pressure on to get the deal done, nothing surer.

There's no 3rd club that would trade us a top 10 pick anyway and if we got it we would keep it. Power knows it won't happen.

We're wary of trading the F2 with the Oliver deal looming over us though.

Unless it's 5 minutes till the deadline and that deal is completely dead in the water, I'd say 17 on its own, or 17 + 35 looks more likely.

I’m starting to doubt Mackie will even give up a F2 with #17 without something coming back.

Might be a #17 or nothing or #17 and an F3 to be nice.

I’m starting to doubt Mackie will even give up a F2 with #17 without something coming back.

Might be a #17 or nothing or #17 and an F3 to be nice.

I think it will be 17 and an f2 and we get some late pick like an f4 or something back. Both sets of supporters will be unhappy so it's about right. But we will take him at 17 in the draft if it falls through.

Well written article Klink: and do agree with all being said including our careful strategic management of the salary cap and the 'buy-in' of all players accepting less than the open-market which has been a vital ingredient to our on-going success and this extraordinarily, dates all the way back to 2007 and thereafter. But I still think we're a very live chance of getting Oliver, however it will not be until next Wednesday come 7.30pm that we'll likely know the final outcome.... here's hoping and GO CATS !!!

I still maintain that the only thing standing between us and CO, is the egos of the list managers and decision makers at MFC.
THEY gave him the massive deal. THEY shopped him twice, then pulled the pin.
Until and unless wiser heads prevail and they accept that they will only get our FR1 and 70-80% of CO’s salary paid by us, then no deal gets done.
If not, he walks to the draft and they risk everything.
Also, the priority should be the Smith deal.
CO as an option doesn’t really exist unless it absolutely lands in our lap like the Bowes deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
We're wary of trading the F2 with the Oliver deal looming over us though.

Unless it's 5 minutes till the deadline and that deal is completely dead in the water, I'd say 17 on its own, or 17 + 35 looks more likely.

I'm assuming Smith won't get done until right before the deadline in the last hour and by then we will have either already traded Clayton in (in which case the dogs will know they can't get the f2 as the f1 would be gone, they would have to settle for whatever 40s pick we have left) or the CO deal is dead by then.

I still maintain that the only thing standing between us and CO, is the egos of the list managers and decision makers at MFC.
Until and unless wiser heads prevail and they accept that they will only get our FR1 and 70-80% of CO’s salary paid by us, then no deal gets done.

Their egos are a big issue but the bigger one is the wage.
Geelong won't pay more than 900kish I reckon, melb won't pay more than 1-200k which means he's got to agree to forfeit about 300k a year (approximately) at least for the trade to happen. Hence Clayton will be stuck there for his contract.

I know Oliver was flying when he got his new deal… but when do player managers need to be looked at for doing so well for their client that it just becomes a stupid contract.

I dont even know how to articulate what I mean.

Connors job is to negotiate for his client… but my god, how can he get Oliver to stick it to the Dees so hard that it not only hampers the Dees, but also Oliver himself.

I don’t know how it works, but maybe Mackie can sign his part of the deal for whatever it is he is offering and take off.

Everyone knows they will take our 1st, the end. The risk is with us. They know it, we know it. They can ask for whatever they want, but the league and PA won’t let Bailey get to draft. It’s actually how boring the dogs are, accept the inevitable, and move on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know Oliver was flying when he got his new deal… but when do player managers need to be looked at for doing so well for their client that it just becomes a stupid contract.

I dont even know how to articulate what I mean.

Connors job is to negotiate for his client… but my god, how can he get Oliver to stick it to the Dees so hard that it not only hampers the Dees, but also Oliver himself.

That's why the afl should put a max length limit on contracts but again they won't stand up to aflpa.

I'd love to see Mackie pull out a big nuts move and just trade 38 + our F1 for Oliver + F2 just to remove anything of value in the '24 draft other than the pick we could use to draft Smith in the ND lmao

If the dogs don't accept pick 17 then send him to the draft. Smith is coming off an ACL, high risk profile with all the extra curricular activities and personality.
The only club that would consider it would be Pies in the unlikely scenario that they trade for 13 but somehow can't turn it into Houston. Even then they would only consider it if they meet him and he says yes to going there. That would be a monumental f up but it's extremely unlikely I think. Throw the dogs a second to eliminate the possibility and done

Everyone knows they will take our 1st, the end. The risk is with us. They know it, we know it. They can ask for whatever they want, but the league and PA won’t let Bailey get to draft. It’s actually how boring the dogs are, accept the inevitable, and move on.
They would let him go to the draft, that's selling more media space. Just that the Dogs would not draft him and just lose him for nothing.

I'd love to see Mackie pull out a big nuts move and just trade 38 + our F1 for Oliver + F2 just to remove anything of value in the '24 draft other than the pick we could use to draft Smith in the ND lmao

That's way overs for Oliver but I'd enjoy seeing power crack it.

Also, the priority should be the Smith deal.
CO as an option doesn’t really exist unless it absolutely lands in our lap like the Bowes deal.

witsend: Smith is a done deal, it has been for a long time, it's just a matter of sorting out pic/s. Dogs aren't going to let him go for nothing, it just won't happen, therefore they'll have to deal with us and come to a mutual arrangement which may take until the final minutes. If Oliver as reported has cleaned out his locker and said to the Dees he's not coming back, plus he's willing to take a pay cut to come to Geelong, then I'd be surprised if that deal doesn't get done as well, with a future 1st rounder going Dees way, with us covering a large proportion of wage along with Oliver taking pay cut..... GO CATS !!!

That's why the afl should put a max length limit on contracts but again they won't stand up to aflpa.

Absolutely has to happen.
Got a bit of work to do in this space.

Max contract should be 5 or 6 years.
Free agency should be reduced to 6 years.
Scrap or massively reduce the compensation for free agents (i quite like the idea that only bottom 6 clubs are eligible for compo and picks begin from pick 19).
Fix NGA and Fathers Son (both should be retained in some form, but the charade of clubs trading back for junk picks, matching bids then trading back into the draft is a rort and must be fixed).

That's way overs for Oliver but I'd enjoy seeing power crack it.

Clarry seen playing golf today at Moama, so broken hand must have healed, you'd think. 13th beach looking good? Lucky him, my fractured wrist still playing up years later. With a bit of risk evaluation, I reckon Mack has cooled his jets and won't be selling future picks, but standby, because the CO camp has been very quiet.

They seem extra pissed about Smith for some reason.

He basically called the club a minnow.
That’s their whole “chip on the shoulder” identity thing they thrive on.
It’s crazy because realistically, Geelong was a minnow for a long time, the difference is we were sick of being an afterthought and just being happy with being just “good” that we did an entire review top to bottom.

Chappy and Bomber were the ones who were kicking up a huge stink about the playing group being selfish and weak minded but it was Enright who was the one who basically got everyone to sing Kumbaya and players decided they needed to self sacrifice and buy into the club standards. Joel was a huge driver of those standards as well.
He was the one chewing everyone out after the embarrassing loss to Norf (another fellow minnow at the time) and he had only played 5 career games at that point in 2007.

From that point on the rest is history. Cats best run club on and off the field by a bunch of metrics (biased maybe but the stats don’t lie)
Valued at 5th most in the League by club valuation, Top 5 for membership…all from a regional City team.
Nothing minnow about the Cats anymore, no more “Sleepy Hollow” where careers go to die.
Cats were sick of being where they were at and changed from the top all the way down.
The whole identity of the club changed from that point on.

Conversely, do we believe that sort of club review altering shit ever happens at the Doggies? Dunkley called it out as well. He said it’s a bunch of guys split into cliques. You’re either one of Bevo’s Boys or you aren’t in with them…seems like a bit of a party culture vibe team. Not that there’s anything wrong with it, just the impression they give off. Make your assumptions from that. Dunkley said first day of Lions preseason he was shocked at how much running they did and was impressed by the standards at training.

Now back to Baz, when a bloke says he wants out because he’s “lost the love for footy” and needs to “leave to grow”, that would have stuck in their supporters craw big time as it goes back to the chip on the shoulder, Footscray or Die thing they have going. Can see why they want scorched Earth with him. They feel betrayed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back