Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

Cheers to Lore for their hard work in setting this up, and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft - and please practice patience grasshoppers if it's not updated in the immediate aftermath of completed trade

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

He basically called the club a minnow.
That’s their whole “chip on the shoulder” identity thing they thrive on.
It’s crazy because realistically, Geelong was a minnow for a long time, the difference is we were sick of being an afterthought and just being happy with being just “good” that we did an entire review top to bottom.

Chappy and Bomber were the ones who were kicking up a huge stink about the playing group being selfish and weak minded but it was Enright who was the one who basically got everyone to sing Kumbaya and players decided they needed to self sacrifice and buy into the club standards. Joel was a huge driver of those standards as well.
He was the one chewing everyone out after the embarrassing loss to Norf (another fellow minnow at the time) and he had only played 5 career games at that point in 2007.

From that point on the rest is history. Cats best run club on and off the field by a bunch of metrics (biased maybe but the stats don’t lie)
Valued at 5th most in the League by club valuation, Top 5 for membership…all from a regional City team.
Nothing minnow about the Cats anymore, no more “Sleepy Hollow” where careers go to die.
Cats were sick of being where they were at and changed from the top all the way down.
The whole identity of the club changed from that point on.

Conversely, do we believe that sort of club review altering shit ever happens at the Doggies? Dunkley called it out as well. He said it’s a bunch of guys split into cliques. You’re either one of Bevo’s Boys or you aren’t in with them…seems like a bit of a party culture vibe team. Not that there’s anything wrong with it, just the impression they give off. Make your assumptions from that. Dunkley said first day of Lions preseason he was shocked at how much running they did and was impressed by the standards at training.

Now back to Baz, when a bloke says he wants out because he’s “lost the love for footy” and needs to “leave to grow”, that would have stuck in their supporters craw big time as it goes back to the chip on the shoulder, Footscray or Die thing they have going. Can see why they want scorched Earth with him. They feel betrayed.

They're pushing some unrelated fairy story that we've been overly AFL assisted (Oliver, Sav trades) and deserve bad karma. So don't underestimate jealousy- it's just pure envy on their part. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Absolutely has to happen.
Got a bit of work to do in this space.

Max contract should be 5 or 6 years.
Free agency should be reduced to 6 years.
Scrap or massively reduce the compensation for free agents (i quite like the idea that only bottom 6 clubs are eligible for compo and picks begin from pick 19).
Fix NGA and Fathers Son (both should be retained in some form, but the charade of clubs trading back for junk picks, matching bids then trading back into the draft is a rort and must be fixed).

1. Agree

2. Agree

3. Sounds good and I like that it starts from end of Round 1 but it should not matter which team it is.
Highest compo you can get is end of first round

4. All NGA, Father Son or Northern Academy picks should require a draft pick within 10 places of said bid.
So for example if North bid on Ashcroft at pick 2, Lions MUST pay up with a pick from 3-12 range. If they can’t then tough luck he’s going to North. Or say Carlton get a bid on one of the Campo boys at Pick 25, they MUST pay up with a pick between Pick 26-35 otherwise he’s going elsewhere.
Also totally scrap points system, complete rubbish and has no meaning anymore.

At the end of the day… ain’t no way the Dogs don’t take our R1 if Mackie doesn’t budge.

I don’t know how it works, but maybe Mackie can sign his part of the deal for whatever it is he is offering and take off.

Power either signs the other half and submits it or he doesn’t and Smith walks and we get him anyway in the ND.

I can’t see a professional organisation flush #17 down the toilet… Especially when it’s actually a realistic offer imo.

They dreaming if they are serious about a top 10 selection.
Ambit claim.

The price will, 99%, wind up being something between the two. Probably 17 plus a sweetener, which is fair IMO.

What contract have Bulldogs offered Smith? If none, it weakens their position because it means they don’t actually want him. We wanted to keep Tim Kelly. I think Esava was offered a contract but I could be wrong.

What contract have Bulldogs offered Smith? If none, it weakens their position because it means they don’t actually want him. We wanted to keep Tim Kelly. I think Esava was offered a contract but I could be wrong.
apparently offered him a deal but only 2 years so they surely don't value him all that highly

Clark and knevitt I am very confident on with the right opportunities.
Stevens willtshire and clohesy I'm not sure yet and not sure on our development talls.
Knevitt, a big ‘Phew’ from cats_09 😉

Clark shows flashes of his potential.

Clohesy is only 20yo, averaged over 16 disposals + five tackles per game in the VFL, kicking 13 goals from his 18 matches. Really like the bits I’ve seen.

Haven’t focused on Stevens or Wiltshire.

They offered him a two year deal. If they really wanted to keep him they should have offered him a deal to take him through to free agency the moment he did the knee.

At the end of the day… ain’t no way the Dogs don’t take our R1 if Mackie doesn’t budge.

I don’t know how it works, but maybe Mackie can sign his part of the deal for whatever it is he is offering and take off.

Power either signs the other half and submits it or he doesn’t and Smith walks and we get him anyway in the ND.

I can’t see a professional organisation flush #17 down the toilet… Especially when it’s actually a realistic offer imo.

They dreaming if they are serious about a top 10 selection.
Purely speculating here, I’m thinking. . .

Bulldogs + Dees know Geelong is interested Smith + Oliver. Both are vying to get our best pick. Both appear to be expecting picks for the previous elite performing players. Yet, ignore the risk Geelong is taking for Smith + Oliver.

In comes Connors SM, who represents:
Bailey Smith
Clayton Oliver
Patrick Dangerfield
Daicos brothers
Ollie Wines
Christian Petracca
Tom Lynch
Toby Greene
Charlie Curnow, et al

If Bulldogs + Dees think they can play chicken, CSM has leverage.

In addition, future players could balk at going to Bulldogs or Dees, yet CSM will appeal because they’re motivated to finding the best trade for players.

Perhaps my speculation is irrelevant? Nevertheless I do think there is some traction.

The other factor is Connors, he won't let it happen.

He's got a good relationship with Geelong. Always has.

Unsure of who he supports, but do know his sister is a Geelong supporter, so you'd assume there was some fondness there too before he got into the management game.

He'll put some pressure on to get the deal done, nothing surer.
SNAP! 🫰🏻 Kind of 😃

Ambit claim.

The price will, 99%, wind up being something between the two. Probably 17 plus a sweetener, which is fair IMO.

Id offer a pick slide to save the Smith the wait till the draft …. Why doesn't the trade period run directly into the draft?

Anyway ...

38 to 48 …but if the Dogs knock that back then they are crazy. A top 10 pick request is unrealistic for a uncontracted player ...

Post draft …. If the Dogs knock back P17 and someone like Taj Hotton was available at that pick it will be looked upon as the the height of stupidity. especially if we get Smith anyway...

I still maintain that the only thing standing between us and CO, is the egos of the list managers and decision makers at MFC.
THEY gave him the massive deal. THEY shopped him twice, then pulled the pin.
Until and unless wiser heads prevail and they accept that they will only get our FR1 and 70-80% of CO’s salary paid by us, then no deal gets done.
If not, he walks to the draft and they risk everything.
Also, the priority should be the Smith deal.
CO as an option doesn’t really exist unless it absolutely lands in our lap like the Bowes deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Also need to include Oliver agreed to a lower salary. Still think “70-80% of CO’s salary paid by us”, is too high. As you said, MFC “gave him the massive deal. THEY shopped him twice, then pulled the pin.” From internal leaks to the press, we know part of the cluster****, I’d venture to say it’s far worse. Conflicting messages, infighting, egos, spurious bravado + the purely PR motivated ‘love fest’ for Oliver are the tip of the iceberg.

MFC press quotes in 2023 maintain their culture is strong + healthy. Scandals began in 2019. Five years later they’re still in denial.

Time for them to accept responsibility.

As for interim president, Brad Green taking to Twitter
IMG_0858.jpeg
Neglected to say whether CO transferred gear to Casey, or took it home.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Beverage has much to say about the Smith situation, he strikes me as the exact type of stubborn #!?! to force Smith to the draft. Known for being ruthless with selection to prove a point also.

Good call Kitcat.

Bit rich, no contract renewal, yet demanding compensation for the elite version.

I'll put it here now before it goes one way or the other. Clayton has serious issues and can be quite engaging and charming on the surface. We do not want that contract, I am very doubtful a plug and move will solve anything. Do not want in any way.

On SM-G998B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Aaaaand that is the poster child for why you need to draw a line somewhere when it comes to recruiting very talented, but very difficult, players.
Awwww. . .who could resist Lara Bingle desiring you 💘
Peeing in public, I mean when you’ve got to go, you’ve got to go! 😳
With 79 outstanding arrest warrants amounting to $26k

Surely he’s just a lovable larrikin 😼

Awwww. . .who could resist Lara Bingle desiring you 💘
Peeing in public, I mean when you’ve got to go, you’ve got to go! 😳
With 79 outstanding arrest warrants amounting to $26k

Surely he’s just a lovable larrikin 😼
The major issue I had with Fevola was really that photo leak. That was a disgusting thing to do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back