Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

Cheers to Lore for their hard work in setting this up, and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft - and please practice patience grasshoppers if it's not updated in the immediate aftermath of completed trade

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

You are asking too early.

You need to wait for more rumours.
And then they will say either

a) I haven't heard much, but thats not my mail at all. He still wants out but the deal may be too difficult (der)
b) we are still into him no matter what anyone says
c) there were some land purchases on the weekend. I wonder who that was? Hint, hint.

In effect, committing to zero but keeping up the charade that they know stuff.

They seem to have had fairly good info so far?

That will sound odd given I can't verify what they've been saying, but they all seem to be hearing the same thing more or less, and whilst it's going to sound even sillier, what they've had to say so far has had a 'ring of truth' to it imo.

Cap is going up. Dollars won't be the issue. The "doesn't want to play for them" is the issue
I don’t know a lot of the existing contracts are pretty locked in at this time of the year …I can’t see too many clubs with that kind of cap space being able to make a quick move like that it’s hurts them in the long run.

I never insult you.
You cant just do something like that. The AFL would be all over it.

If he's worth that much of a risk to the club. Just give the dogs 2 first rounders. Give Smith 600k. And move on.

Secret Bulldogs supporter?

What exactly makes Smith worth 2 x first round picks?

• his 2023 season wasn't that good
  • he hasn't played for 12 months due to an ACL
  • highest finish in the B&F is 7th, last achieved in 2021 and no top 10 finish since then

1 x first round pick seems pretty on the money

• his 2023 wasn't that good
  • highest finish in the B&F is 7th, last achieved in 2021 and no top 10 finish since then

No I made that up. I honestly dont know what smith is worth.
But if people start talking about shady deals then it becomes stupid.

Hence I said 2 round 1 picks and we move on and dont be shady. Thats all.

But you can refuse to be interviewed. Which would probably deter another club picking him up.

Or do a medical which isn't ideal for someone coming off an ACL when you are matching 4 million over 5 years or whatever Smith's asking price would be. You'd be trusting Geelong blindly if you picked him, which for that sort of investment would be crazy.

Anyway he won't go to the draft. It will get done for pick 17 and a pick swap, Geelong's 2nd or future 2nd for Bulldogs 3rd or future 3rd. Something like that.

And secret dogs supporter. lol
All I can tell you about the dogs is that Goggin was grateful to be given the job there. He was completely pissed off with Geelong.
So much that his offspring actually hate Geelong. So there you go.

I don’t know a lot of the existing contracts are pretty locked in at this time of the year …I can’t see too many clubs with that kind of cap space being able to make a quick move like that it’s hurts them in the long run.
There's enough clubs where the cap is opening faster than they have indexed contracts and/or players to spend it on. When the offer first hit the media it was reported as a contract any club could afford. I'd be very surprised if there wasn't 5 or so clubs that could easily afford the contract. I'd be even more surprised if any draft him

It was done before with buddy. Agree. But the AFL switched everything after that.

i.e. we cant give petracca a 50 year contract with 4 mil in the first year.
The AFL was all over that because of the COLA abuse not the actual contract in itself

It can be done

Every single Dogs fan I know would rather see him go to the draft than get unders for him. We may lose this time but not long term. We don’t want to be pushed around by wealthy clubs anymore. He hasn’t even got to free agency and we feel we are being screwed by the AFL and the wealthy clubs who are also throughout the media. He is a young gun with 10 years left in the game. But he is an extremely immature narcissist easily lead by money and fame, not necessarily football history.

God I hope you’re right. That way we’ll get him for our second rounder and Oliver or a top 20 draft prospect. Delicious!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But you can refuse to be interviewed. Which would probably deter another club picking him up.
Exactly. How many large companies would employ someone on reputation without interviewing them? Particularly if they haven't performed very well in their last year or two at their former employer, haven't worked for a year, want high money for quite a few years, have had publicised 'issues' and have said they want to work for another company?

Actually, probably our banks, supermarkets, political parties, national airline and unions.

But he is a 4 time all 22 under 22 member😉

Dees have forward traded in a current F1 a few times... It's a strat they use more than every other team.

Why do the Bombers do that deal? Melbourne might be a cultural cesspit but I mean it will be pretty hard for them to finish lower next year, I can't see Richmond, WC or North finishing ahead of them, so best case they trade 9 this year for 4 next year but Bombers holding all the risk on Melbourne potentially bouncing and playing finals and ending up with a terrible pick.

If you are a shit team like the Bombers you kind of want to improve NOW, not push your pick into next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back