Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

Cheers to Lore for their hard work in setting this up, and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft - and please practice patience grasshoppers if it's not updated in the immediate aftermath of completed trade

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

If we trade a future 2nd/3rd we can't then trade the future 1st later.

It doesn't make much sense to trade a future 2nd for pick 35 or so now when we don't know who's going to be available and we don't know what will be used up for other trades. It makes much more sense to do the trades we want now and wait for draft night to trade into the draft if there's something we really like.

This is actually a fair point, and not one I'd considered...despite talking about the Oliver trade being considered up until the last moment for our Future 1st...and not locking our other picks.

I think you're right, I think that's what's probably at play here. We'll keep our Futures until the night of, trade with someone like GC, Essendon and Brisbane for one of their Academy picks that'll get swallowed anyway, and pick someone up who we see as a slider. Be interesting to see what our strategy is overall though - as I've had much more idea what we were doing in previous years, compared to this one.

Difference being though that they have been offered good deals, hardly getting bent over yet they continue to be pricks for the sake of being pricks.
The Caleb Daniel offer is essentially a 10 pick upgrade in the 3rd-2nd round, given the ramifications bidding and matching has on early and late picks. Pick 25 likely gets pushed out to 30, whilst the pick 48 they want back actually does the opposite and comes in.

On the surface if pick 25 was offered for Caleb Daniel of course we'd be silly for knocking it back.

There hasn't actually been an offer for Macrae at this stage.

There's a question I have, which has been really ratting around in my head the last week...and shoot me down if I seem off the mark...but...why are we so uninterested in this draft?

Every recruiter in the land seems to want in, and it's considered 'the best depth draft in recent history'...but Wells and co. are just sitting back going 'yeah we'll get some gems at the back end and see how we go next year.' We haven't offered any futures, looked at doing anything to get any extra picks - despite all our free list spots -, and we're just happy to go in with what we've got and be bit part players in this one. Sydney as the other solid recruiters aren't that keen either. All the other clubs are trying to move up and stay in that Top 10-15 range, but no-one wants picks outside of that - except for matching purposes.

Last year we wanted to keep our pick, grab a KPP and get O'Sullivan, bring Edwards, Mannagh, Humphries etc. in. This year, with so many list spots available, crickets. For a draft that's SO good (this wasn't getting said a few months ago), why aren't arguably the best recruiters/talent scouts in the land, interested in being that involved? Seem odd to anyone else? These are also the picks that will be off the board/swallowed up by Academy bids (as it stands):

28, 29, 31, 32, 34, 40, 41, 42, 43, 45, 50, 54, 60

Maybe this draft like so many before it, isn't as lucrative/talent-laden as others are proffering? Maybe outside of the consensus Top 8 in Ashcroft, FOS, Smith, Smillie, Draper, Lalor, Lombard, Kako (of which 3 are not even in the open draft), it's all just depth. Tons of picks will come in from all the academy matching, so maybe Wells and co. see the backend of the draft and the 10-60 picks, being relatively similar?

Thoughts?
💭 out First is about right for BS given the strength of the draft. Future First being held back for a few reasons - too much competition, could go pear shaped if we slide, CO, other fish to fry next year or two..

I too have thought this, my best take is….Lawson Humphries. The fact they snagged a player who is performing like a single figure pick in his first year with such a late nothing pick, gives them a free hit of sorts this year.

… and reading between the lines… my bet is geelong like one of the mature guys that have been mentioned ..and because the kids are so highly rated will be there for a late picks… a few guys in both Southport and Werribee look like Mannagh type possibilities …. Woodcock ?..Henderson ? … They don't all work..and thats fine ..but can anyone deny that Dempsey, Mannagh , Humphries … all look like R1 talent.

There's a question I have, which has been really ratting around in my head the last week...and shoot me down if I seem off the mark...but...why are we so uninterested in this draft?
Because it's a locked door for us, and without selling players, we cannot get the currency to get in. (For the record, we got into the 2001 Superdraft by losing Bizzell and Justin Murphy for p17, 23, and 41).

We will lose our first pick for Bailey Smith, and possibly a slide back on either our second or our future second. Our Future First is, others will assume, going to be a reasonably late pick.

Nobody will give us a top 15 pick this year for our Future First plus some detritus. Nobody.

The Caleb Daniel offer is essentially a 10 pick upgrade in the 3rd-2nd round, given the ramifications bidding and matching has on early and late picks. Pick 25 likely gets pushed out to 30, whilst the pick 48 they want back actually does the opposite and comes in.

On the surface if pick 25 was offered for Caleb Daniel of course we'd be silly for knocking it back.

There hasn't actually been an offer for Macrae at this stage.

Contracted player..its up to you. Again..id say ..my bet is if you forget what number they are taken at ..you could get a good kid in the 30’s…

I laugh whenever I hear a caller on the radio claim that Geelong is a bully at the trade negotiations, which is why the club is still "up there." The hysteria out there is ridiculous.

I guess technically they are right, we did demand Port hand over very late picks during the Ratugolea trade. And one of those turned into a player who helped improved our list significantly this year :)

Contracted player..its up to you. Again..id say ..my bet is if you forget what number they are taken at ..you could get a good kid in the 30’s…
I agree - we'd likely get a decent player at 30, I just don't think the difference between that player compared to the player we'd get at pick 40 (which North wanted with Caleb) is worth losing Caleb Daniel over.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree - we'd likely get a decent player at 30, I just don't think the difference between that player compared to the player we'd get at pick 40 (which North wanted with Caleb) is worth losing Caleb Daniel over.

Again..you choice…Im all for if contracted ..then its up to both player and club and you can hold them if you want. Do what is the best for your club ..and if you want him..then keep him. …

Once uncontracted the club really has very little sway…its why I thought the Dogs could have made out like Bandits… You may have got two R1’s from us last year ..with a bit back… … Maybe you thought you could change his mind..and then BS did his knee

Moreso our Future 2nd, Third, 4th etc. Future 1st would be likely on draft night, but we're not even attempting to get involved and get more picks throughout - which we've done recently. Just asking the question why that might be - no right or wrong answers, but questioning the idea that this is some super-draft - when we seemingly don't care all that much?

I'll tell you what you want to hear, it's not that great. Cellar dwellers desperate for new blood and falling over each other for picks doesn't enhance the supply. Us- slow and steady (and some what secretive) wins the race.

… and reading between the lines… my bet is geelong like one of the mature guys that have been mentioned ..and because the kids are so highly rated will be there for a late picks… a few guys in both Southport and Werribee look like Mannagh type possibilities …. Woodcock ?..Henderson ? … They don't all work..and thats fine ..but can anyone deny that Dempsey, Mannagh , Humphries … all look like R1 talent.
Henderson definitely looks likely to picked up. I loved the look of Riley Bice in the final against us (bit quieter in the GF), plays a little like the lizard. Probably not a list need for Geelong now we’ve added Humphries.

Love the play the though, the Cats do mature age the best by an absolute mile!

The thing is calder_daddy that there hasn't been one word said, NOT ONE WORD by Oliver or his management team that he's staying at Melbourne.... WHY IS THIS SO.... coz it makes no sense 'at all' if he was staying at the Dees, just best to let everyone know. However because that is not the case, it would make far better sense if Oliver and management team were still trying to get him to the Cats!

REPEATED - If Oliver as reported has cleaned out his locker and said to the Dees he's not coming back, plus he's willing to take a pay cut to come to Geelong, then I'd be surprised if that deal doesn't get donel, with a future 1st rounder going Dees way, with us covering a large proportion of wage along with Oliver taking pay cut..... GO CATS !!!
I can understand that but the lack of noise from people who IMO would get better information than anything on here
Yes people do get info, but you can’t tell me people involved with the AFL wouldn’t get the same information if not more

I guess technically they are right, we did demand Port hand over very late picks during the Ratugolea trade. And one of those turned into a player who helped improved our list significantly this year :)
So glad you did it - as we all hate Port - but it’s the first rounder you demanded for a pretty crap player in Ratugolea they would be referring to. Not the “very late picks”

Nice work screwing them on behalf of crows supporters

So glad you did it - as we all hate Port - but it’s the first rounder you demanded for a pretty crap player in Ratugolea they would be referring to. Not the “very late picks”

Nice work screwing them on behalf of crows supporters

This is exactly the same as the dogs demanding a top 10 pick. It was never going to happen. They'll hand him over for our first rounder and some spare change cause they've got no leverage just like we did with Ratugolea.

I laugh whenever I hear a caller on the radio claim that Geelong is a bully at the trade negotiations, which is why the club is still "up there." The hysteria out there is ridiculous.

Simpletons with years of better picks but inferior list management. I'm not ashamed that we're great at the business, we've no choice otherwise. It's all 90% gambling anyway. So go Wells and Mack, best toe cutters around.

So Buckley says club's should have the ability to trade players against their will?

Wonder how he would've felt if the Bears had traded him to the Eagles instead of Collingwood, which was his preferred destination?

Edit: 'without their consent' he actually said, if anyone thinks that changes anything......

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back