Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

Cheers to Lore for their hard work in setting this up, and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft - and please practice patience grasshoppers if it's not updated in the immediate aftermath of completed trade

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

Everything the Bulldogs are doing seems to be consistent with the belief they already have a team that's ready to challenge. No easy trades, no planning for the future, no freeing up cap space...just stonewall, stonewall, stonewall. It's just weird.
They do have a team good enough to win it, but they have a complete buffoon for a coach holding them back. I have no doubt Chris Scott would have won multiple flags with that mob.

They do have a team good enough to win it, but they have a complete buffoon for a coach holding them back. I have no doubt Chris Scott would have won multiple flags with that mob.
I disagree - the makeup of that team is out of kilter somewhat. The midfield is amazing, but their ruckman isn't a ruckman, and their key forwards are so talented but oh so green.

I’m finding it hard to understand how there’s no media leaks yet we’re getting info off bigfooty and taking it as gospel.

I’m starting to believe it’s all bs now which is a real shame because I want him in the cats colors more than most
The thing is calder_daddy that there hasn't been one word said, NOT ONE WORD by Oliver or his management team that he's staying at Melbourne.... WHY IS THIS SO.... coz it makes no sense 'at all' if he was staying at the Dees, just best to let everyone know. However because that is not the case, it would make far better sense if Oliver and management team were still trying to get him to the Cats!

REPEATED - If Oliver as reported has cleaned out his locker and said to the Dees he's not coming back, plus he's willing to take a pay cut to come to Geelong, then I'd be surprised if that deal doesn't get donel, with a future 1st rounder going Dees way, with us covering a large proportion of wage along with Oliver taking pay cut..... GO CATS !!!

Last edited:
Who would you say is the most reliable journalist when it comes to trade news? There's so much bullsh*t out there. I get why that is. There's a whole lotta noise designed to fill up column inches and get clicks. But I'm interested to know: who do you trust more than anyone else?
Edmond for quality Mclure for make believe made up shit

The thing is calder_daddy that there hasn't been one word said, NOT ONE WORD by Oliver or his management team that he's staying at Melbourne.... WHY IS THIS SO.... coz it makes no sense 'at all' if he was staying at the Dees, just best to let everyone know. However because that is not the case, it would make far better sense if Oliver and management team were still trying to get him to the Cats!

I saw something somewhere this morning about another player wanting out of another club but remaining quiet until he knows a deal can be done.

Oliver may be doing just the same thing.

This is crazy to me.

He's been one of their best small forwards by a long way and they can't find the cap room to keep him on.

They've got Fantasia contracted and someone allowed Owies to get out of contract

It's crazy how they've let their 3rd highest goal scorer from this season end up in this position

It’s not our thread that’s funny… it’s the doggies.

Some real quality blowups happening over there.
Believe me, our thread IS funny up until just now, when I had to manoeuvre through eleventy seven pathology # choices to speak to someone, because our pathology always has phone on fax. When I finally was connected, an idiot human Luke failed to listen + transferred me 😫 After waiting for my call to answer, returning to switchboard, immediately transferred again + again, message not available 🤯

Off to Doggies’ board.

Twitter + IG trade news is a snooze

Oliver news is stale + regurgitated

IMG_0885.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I disagree - the makeup of that team is out of kilter somewhat. The midfield is amazing, but their ruckman isn't a ruckman, and their key forwards are so talented but oh so green.
They showed us at KP what they are capable of. Beverage doesn't get the best out of them on a consistent basis. Darcy, Naughton and Jamarra are incredible when firing and the midfield - especially if Bevo gone and Dunkley was still there - is immense. He has failed that club miserably.

Who would you say is the most reliable journalist when it comes to trade news? There's so much bullsh*t out there. I get why that is. There's a whole lotta noise designed to fill up column inches and get clicks. But I'm interested to know: who do you trust more than anyone else?

Mitch Cleary and Cal Twomey - daylight to the rest. All the clubs have good relationships with the aforementioned, and they never just make up sh*t for the sake of it. If they say it's happening/not happening, it's usually pretty reliable intel.

I think they're in a similar but stronger position than us. They have a team that COULD win a flag. In our case, or coaching is probably pushing us being the talent in the team. With them, it's the opposite. But I still don't understand why they're sitting on their hands, especially when two of the three players up for trades aren't part of their best 22.

Bailey Smith management are backing Geelong if a deal don't get done there happy for Geelong to chase him in the draft

Not quite work, but can I call this important:

View attachment 2140608
I see your wallet has been smashed this afternoon as well.

As usual I didn't take the insurance option on the tix but given it's 54 weeks away, what are the odds those two won't end up trying to kill each other by then?

There's a question I have, which has been really ratting around in my head the last week...and shoot me down if I seem off the mark...but...why are we so uninterested in this draft?

Every recruiter in the land seems to want in, and it's considered 'the best depth draft in recent history'...but Wells and co. are just sitting back going 'yeah we'll get some gems at the back end and see how we go next year.' We haven't offered any futures, looked at doing anything to get any extra picks - despite all our free list spots -, and we're just happy to go in with what we've got and be bit part players in this one. Sydney as the other solid recruiters aren't that keen either. All the other clubs are trying to move up and stay in that Top 10-15 range, but no-one wants picks outside of that - except for matching purposes.

Last year we wanted to keep our pick, grab a KPP and get O'Sullivan, bring Edwards, Mannagh, Humphries etc. in. This year, with so many list spots available, crickets. For a draft that's SO good (this wasn't getting said a few months ago), why aren't arguably the best recruiters/talent scouts in the land, interested in being that involved? Seem odd to anyone else? These are also the picks that will be off the board/swallowed up by Academy bids (as it stands):

28, 29, 31, 32, 34, 40, 41, 42, 43, 45, 50, 54, 60

Maybe this draft like so many before it, isn't as lucrative/talent-laden as others are proffering? Maybe outside of the consensus Top 8 in Ashcroft, FOS, Smith, Smillie, Draper, Lalor, Lombard, Kako (of which 3 are not even in the open draft), it's all just depth. Tons of picks will come in from all the academy matching, so maybe Wells and co. see the backend of the draft and the 10-60 picks, being relatively similar?

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Bailey Smith management are backing Geelong if a deal don't get done there happy for Geelong to chase him in the draft

Just how dumb can the Dogs be??!

Are they seriously contemplating letting him go for nothing out of pure stubborn spite??

It'll demonstrate just why they're a middling club if they follow through.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back