Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

Cheers to Lore for their hard work in setting this up, and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft - and please practice patience grasshoppers if it's not updated in the immediate aftermath of completed trade

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

This is why draft week should have finished on Friday. Clubs spend too much timing posturing wasting time only for them to finally roll in the last hour.
They have been trading picks.

Everyone is trying to take a position of power. Whilst also not showing their hand.
I personally like it. Its a combination of high level poker and chess.

My favorite is that blokes bio
It goes like this in order

Rusted on Leftie. Anti racist, anti fascist, anti Murdoch. Richmond FC

Says it all really
You left off the most contemptible part

Arsenal, Melbourne Storm, Pittsburgh Steelers, Foxicon.

Vomit Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

This is why draft week should have finished on Friday. Clubs spend too much timing posturing wasting time only for them to finally roll in the last hour.
Make it 3 days.

FA starts Friday. Ends following Tuesday.
Trade Period is Wed - Fri

A week of Continental Tyres adverts and SFA all else has happened.
Got to be a Grade A loser to enjoy the protracted farce we have now.

I’d actually much prefer to just do a deal with the dogs in good faith as we’ve usually done with clubs. But I don’t think any other clubs would take Smith in the draft. Pickering gave a good understanding of what role managers would play in these circumstances and said other clubs would not take a player they haven’t spoken to in these circumstances.

So what are the chances then of another club taking him in the pre season draft? Probably more of a risk unless he had a big price on him. But that’d mean we can also use that pick or trade it.

Question without notice.

Obviously new R1 draftee get a 3-year deal on a set wage.

I know Smith can specify wage, but can he specify a term less then 3 years if R1? (assuming yes).

Could he put say... 2 million on his head for one year? or 3 million for two years and then we do the old Jack Bowes smooth it out thing?

Is that draft tampering? I actually don't know because anyone can take him if they choose.

If that can be done... man I reckon we take him with our pick 38.

It's pretty terrible actually.
Melb offered them a future 1st (which I think will be top 10) and North also did (top 5) for 13 and hawthorn got a r1 and 2 for 14.
Instead they swapped 13 for a future 1st that will likely be later than 13.
Unless the pies crash its terrible Atkins must be on more cash than I thought.

Reports tonight have tonight have Lukosius on a backended deal - potentially as much as $1.8million over the next two years (so Jack Bowes all over again), and Atkins on approx $400k. Considering Atkins played only 3 senior matches & 16 VFL matches this year, I'm pretty sure they'd be happy to clear that off their books

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Come on mate. Thats just stupid.
You're better than that.

1/ dusty won't play again.
2/ if he did, it would be for peanuts.

Don't go making yourself look stupid.

I'm not Mitch - you're welcome to message him and say the above directly to him though

Question without notice.

Obviously new R1 draftee get a 3-year deal on a set wage.

I know Smith can specify wage, but can he specify a term less then 3 years if R1? (assuming yes).

Could he put say... 2 million on his head for one year? or 3 million for two years and then we do the old Jack Bowes smooth it out thing?

Is that draft tampering? I actually don't know because anyone can take him if they choose.

If that can be done... man I reckon we take him with our pick 38.
If you wanted to get real cute with it you would actually go in at 2 years at 2.7m per year so his whole contract dollars. Geelong drafts him and evens the money back out in exchange for like $1 added to the total.

Would prefer not to.

If Smith has to go to the draft, no other club would risk a first round pick on a senior player who doesn’t want to be there. Geelong would take him with our first round pick as it is the right thing to do and it would relieve Smith’s anxieties about it on the first night. If we waited, it could p**s off other clubs who might just take a gamble, as we would be acting like smart arses.

Make it 3 days.

FA starts Friday. Ends following Tuesday.
Trade Period is Wed - Fri

A week of Continental Tyres adverts and SFA all else has happened.
Got to be a Grade A loser to enjoy the protracted farce we have now.
All of these deals are alot further along and probably agreed than what the public is being led to believe. Only about 25 players will change clubs imagine if the majority of these were already done before the final day and the final night it would make it pretty boring and nobody would tune in to watch the end which is what he AFL want.

If Smith has to go to the draft, no other club would risk a first round pick on a senior player who doesn’t want to be there. Geelong would take him with our first round pick as it is the right thing to do and it would relieve Smith’s anxieties about it on the first night. If we waited, it could p**s off other clubs who might just take a gamble, as we would be acting like smart arses.
Zero chance we do it to him.
Zero

The guy isn't a pick 60 type. If he improves us immediately. You trade.
What amazes me is that the dogs have nothing to use as bait for any other deal. They are shooting themselves in the foot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back