Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

Cheers to Lore for their hard work in setting this up, and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft - and please practice patience grasshoppers if it's not updated in the immediate aftermath of completed trade

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

You know what mate?
I've said this forever.

The (then VFL) brought in a minimum salary cap so that they could boot Fitzroy. I have little doubt about that.
But I'd really like the min and max player numbers adjusted.

Let's say you're north Melbourne. Let them have up to 55 players (or so) and being able to spread that salary cap.
Let them find out which players will fit.
Dont make them pay 1.2 mil to someone who isn't worth it. Hell, dont pay 600k to someone who isn't worth it. Just because you have to meet the minimum cap.

The draft depth would increase massively. We'd see 100 being drafted. We'd see a lot more trades too.
And it would give clubs like North a chance to sort the wheat from the chaff rather than needing to nail draft after draft to get anywhere.

Daniel shouldn't be on 650k.
I think another issue is that clubs are forced to pay close to 100% of their salary cap, so you get teams with not a lot of players worthy of the high salaries, offering players from other teams high salaries and to keep them, clubs have to over pay - especially clubs like ours where there isn't really a point of difference, we don't have the enjoyable lifestyle that Geelong players get to enjoy with a bit of a quieter town, not much fuss, or the pull of a big club - so all we've got to offer is just money at the end of the day.

In saying all of that, Caleb Daniel signed his deal 18 months after being All Australian and winning the best and fairest, so I don't think 650k was too extreme at the time, given he's no longer clear best 22 it probably was the wrong decision though.

Personally I’d take him with our second pick and then use the next 2 picks on a couple of speculative talls.

We do usually find a way to grab someone who measured top10 at the combine so .. perhaps that Stmpff kid as a speculative tall?

I was surprised that Sims measured well in agility and running jump …. id be very tempted to call his name in that middle rang of picks if available … find another LawHump type with our late end of drafts picks.

I was reading an article on the Adi website ..that talked abot Jack Henderson from years ago .. it was the year after Riccardi was drafted from Werribee .. Mark Williams thought he could play afl back then. Apparently a very good runner. Just under 180cm is probably his only draw back.

If you want to laugh have a look on the trading thread on the West Coast board
I actually feel a bit sorry for the supporters. I wouldn't even give up pick 50 for Baker, bloke is a genuine plodder, let alone losing pick 3 for potentially two plodders. What a disaster that is for them. Maybe we can jump in last minute and offer them Gary Rohan for 14 instead of Baker if they want to be totally insane. I'd personally still prefer Rohan on the list than Baker.

Surely WCEs trade negotiator loses his job after this - a player who's about to become a DFA shouldn't be agreed to as steak knives in a trade for pick 3

Depends I guess on what "late picks get thrown around".

Like 14 for Baker and (say) Richmond's 24 is a fine deal. Basically getting the guy for a pick downgrade.

Even though the Bailey Smith trade will get done on live TV. I have absolutely zero worries. (Im angry I’m even imagining it doesn’t). How good for us if it doesn’t

On draft night Mackie can live trade back our first pick a bit and move up our second meaning we get him for even less.

Shuffle back to a pick in the low 20s and come up to a pick in the late 20s.

Bailey Smith + still taking a kid in the top 30.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even though the Bailey Smith trade will get done on live TV. I have absolutely zero worries. (Im angry I’m even imagining it doesn’t). How good for us if it doesn’t

On draft night Mackie can live trade back our first pick a bit and move up our second meaning we get him for even less.

Shuffle back to a pick in the low 20s and come up to a pick in the late 20s.

Bailey Smith + still taking a kid in the top 30.

We wouldn't do that on draft night (or before) - that would be arrogant from Geelong, leave Bailey hanging unnecessarily longer and if it's thought that Geelong don't want him with their original first selection it could be seen to open the door for another team to take him

Maybe there's other picks or players in there. Maybe there's a secret "do us a solid this time and we'll do a favourable deal for you next time" handshake?

WCE aren't morons.
Trading out pick 3 on a secret handshake deal with someone who likely won't be around next time these clubs do a deal is a sackable offense.

We wouldn't do that on draft night (or before) - that would be arrogant from Geelong, leave Bailey hanging unnecessarily longer and if it's thought that Geelong don't want him with their original first selection it could be seen to open the door for another team to take him
Agreed. Let's just get this done using our best available pick.

I would've thought there'd be some media leaks coming real soon, if at all.

Time is running short, and it takes a day or so for leaks to gain traction and exert pressure...... doesn't it?? 🤔

I think another issue is that clubs are forced to pay close to 100% of their salary cap, so you get teams with not a lot of players worthy of the high salaries, offering players from other teams high salaries and to keep them, clubs have to over pay - especially clubs like ours where there isn't really a point of difference, we don't have the enjoyable lifestyle that Geelong players get to enjoy with a bit of a quieter town, not much fuss, or the pull of a big club - so all we've got to offer is just money at the end of the day.

In saying all of that, Caleb Daniel signed his deal 18 months after being All Australian and winning the best and fairest, so I don't think 650k was too extreme at the time, given he's no longer clear best 22 it probably was the wrong decision though.
Interested in your view Bald - The Dogs will clearly have a lot of money tied up in the Bont (and rightly so - hes a superstar) They also have a lot of money tied up in Naughton and English (not so sure about them two) and will soon have to do the same for Darcy and Ugle Hagan (I'm totally sold on both of them) - That will be approx $5M (probably more) for 5 players
Assuming you have approximately 7 rookies/young draftees - that leaves about $450K for the average contracts for the rest (After the salary cap increases) - Is this going to be sustainable moving forward if you wish to attact new players/retain a budding star (Like Riley Sanders for example when Tassy come calling)? - Whilst you do have the best midfield (or close to) - it is begining to age (Ages at the start of next year - Treloar 32+, Liberatore 32+, The Bont 29, Macrae (out), Smith (Out), Sanders developing, Richards - 25 (good player))

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back