Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

Cheers to Lore for their hard work in setting this up, and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft - and please practice patience grasshoppers if it's not updated in the immediate aftermath of completed trade

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

Oliver for FI + pick 17, Smith for zero zilch nothing bugger all in the draft.
How do you propose we get Smith without using that first pick in the draft?

Look, I'm confident he'll fall to p17 if it comes to that. But there is no way in hell he makes it past that.

In today's culture, I actually believe there are plenty of young players who've grown up on the east coast who would prefer North or the Saints over heading west. It's not like the Weagles are tracking any better than those clubs right now, either.
Yeah, but if they want Norf or the Saints, history says they want Collingwood, Carlton or Essendon a lot more.

How do you propose we get Smith without using that first pick in the draft?

Look, I'm confident he'll fall to p17 if it comes to that. But there is no way in hell he makes it past that.
I gather posters are suggesting we go with the PSD.

Trillion to one chance, I would have thought.

Yeah, but if they want Norf or the Saints, history says they want Collingwood, Carlton or Essendon a lot more.
Of course. I was referencing the clear choice between clubs like the Roos and the Eagles. At this point, I don't believe West Coast being a big club and traditionally 'strong' is going to be as clinching for the argument as it would have been in the past.

tank next year if we don’t get smith or Oliver, can’t have the same almost players running through the midfield, the margin for error to do something like that (make a prelim) again, is almost zero.
Wildly bad take. You get more from pumping wins into kids than you do going up the order a few spots

He would have to be delisted for that to happen. Given he has 33 goals on board, I doubt Owies is not going to be offered something at the end of Trade Week if no trade materialised.

Baker - they couldn't have used the threat of the PSD, because Richmond have a pick ahead of them. So do Norf, and I wouldn't put it beyond them to take Baker either.

I do think they have overpaid, but I get the logic. Just getting another Vic kid - or assumedly Bo Allan who may well want to wind up at Freo as his father was captain - is burning one more pick.

For Geelong it would be a horrible trade - but Geelong is different, because we never get top three picks, we don't suffer go-home factor, and we haven't been anchored on the bottom of the ladder for years. For West Coast, it's overs, but it makes some sense.
I don't think the PSD would have been a real threat from Richmond. They wouldn't take a player in the draft that their administration indirectly shit talked for leaving at the bnf.

I gather posters are suggesting we go with the PSD.

Trillion to one chance, I would have thought.
Would be the ultimate "cutting off your noise to spite your face" scenario for WB, which should mean there is zero chance of it happening. I don't remember the Luke Ball situation; did the Saints think they'd convince him to stay? Regardless, they got nothing for Ball. Sam Power will be reminded of this tomorrow at about 7.15pm, if the deal hasn't already been done

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I prefer us to just get Smith done. **** the draft.

We need him to feel committed to, not in limbo.
The obvious thing which has happened with Smith , hes made some very unsavoury comments about the Bulldogs , outgrown the club etc , even though his best finish in a B/F is 7th , so the Dogs owe that guy no favours whatsoever , so even if internally they have accepted Geelongs pick re 17 - they say buggger him , that baarstaard can wait till the last 15 minutes of the trading period then we will do the deal

And a truckload of Geel posters have said no other club will pick him , so from Footscrays point of view , whats the hurry , as long as the deal gets done before the deadline

The obvious thing which has happened with Smith , hes made some very unsavoury comments about the Bulldogs , outgrown the club etc , even though his best finish in a B/F is 7th , so the Dogs owe that guy no favours whatsoever , so even if internally they have accepted Geelongs pick re 17 - they say buggger him , that baarstaard can wait till the last 15 minutes of the trading period then we will do the deal

And a truckload of Geel posters have said no other club will pick him , so from Footscrays point of view , whats the hurry , as long as the deal gets done before the deadline
The trading big dogs wouldn't want to get hospitalised or get stuck in traffic Wednesday afternoon.

He wasn't the mastermind. Fall guy, yes, but not the mastermind.
Maybe mastermind is a bit severe but as I understand it he brought in Collective Minds and retained them despite the disastrous Camp. Crows played crap early next season , player group insisted they be sacked. Crows won next block of games until Pyke reinstated Collective Minds and the team then crashed again.
Glad he's not CEO of the Cats......................

Would be the ultimate "cutting off your noise to spite your face" scenario for WB, which should mean there is zero chance of it happening. I don't remember the Luke Ball situation; did the Saints think they'd convince him to stay? Regardless, they got nothing for Ball. Sam Power will be reminded of this tomorrow at about 7.15pm, if the deal hasn't already been done
No. Saints and Luke Ball was the same. It was all very stupid. The saints (coach) got frustrated with Balls contract, thought they had paid him too much up to that point and were wanting to sign him at reduced wage/not at all.

Despite not valuing him much, they wanted more for him and wouldn't trade.

It was exactly cutting nose spite face.

Good chance the deal has been signed already but we aren't allowed to lodge until 7:29 Wed night

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back