Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

Cheers to Lore for their hard work in setting this up, and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft - and please practice patience grasshoppers if it's not updated in the immediate aftermath of completed trade

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

Clubs might not use a first round pick on him. But assuming 15 other clubs will pass Smith in the PSD when he's not going to cost them anything is silly.
Would you take a player who didn't want to be at your club on huge money and 90% chance of requesting a trade to the Cats the following year.

Clubs might not use a first round pick on him. But assuming 15 other clubs will pass Smith in the PSD when he's not going to cost them anything is silly.

Clubs definitely don't use a first round pick on him. But I doubt anyone picks him under any circumstances if he doesn't want to go there and will cost $800k+.

I'd be confident he would get to us in the PSD. But it won't come to that and I don't think Smith or Geelong would take that risk.

Yes it's gone very quiet but that could also be part of the strategy by all parties.

I wouldn't completely strike it off until we hear something from Connors or from Oliver. MFC can't be taken seriously with anything they've said - and you could understand why GFC are keeping quiet.

None of that automatically means anything is playing out behind the scenes - but per my previous post, I think if we hear crickets between now and this time tomorrow then I think it's just a case of the whole thing having run out of steam.

The lack of commentary overall though is very strange. Calm before the late storm on Wednesday?
Eloquently explained, Jumping Jack. You of course have a lot more knowledge than I.

I have a glimmering sense, perhaps more of a fleeting perception, both sides are working behind the scenes. However, this trade period is just so uneventful, horribly lacklustre + my inkling is AFL are involved + wanting tomorrow to be dramatic + action packed, for maximum effect.

More than likely I’m trying to rationalise an extreme situation with a doubtful idea.

Nevertheless, MFC forcing Oliver to stay will reflect even more badly on them than their recent petulant + spurious behaviour.

Bulldogs are attempting to force a deal, when frankly, Geelong hold the dominance. Bulldogs trade or receive zero if Smith nominates for ND.

Both clubs’ big expectations appear based upon Oliver + Smith in their successful seasons.

Split 3 for 6+9 from Melbourne

Offer 6+9+17+F1 for Harley & Eagles F1

Offer Eagles F1+ Pick 38 > Melbourne for Oliver

Walk Bailey Smith to PSD

And which team do you think selects him in that situation?

He may not be selected before our first pick in the ND, but he wouldn't get past pick #1 and Richmond in the PSD

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would you take a player who didn't want to be at your club on huge money and 90% chance of requesting a trade to the Cats the following year.
Depending on on the club, yes.

I'd take him in the PSD if I were most Melbourne based clubs. You may convince him to stay and then you've picked up a good player for nothing. And even if he requests a trade next year, he'll be in contract then, so they'll probably get a better deal than the Dogs this year. Meaning you've flipped a PSD selection into a first rounder in 12 months. Pretty good ROI, I think.

“What would be the biggest shock of trade week?”

Houston to North? Oliver to the cats?

Nope it’s Rory Atkins being the clutch key to unlock the MegaTrade…

Which option is worse, that the key to unlocking the trade was:
  • Rory Atkins, or
  • pick 50?

The only difference between the two trades is that GC added pick 50 today which Port were happy to accept

It's not happening mate. Oliver has made his position clear,
Mackie has done exactly that, as has Brad Green.
Melbourne already did
You're absolutely spot on here, I reckon.
When did Oliver make a public statement making it clear?

Melbourne FC has made it clear Oliver is staying. Nothing from Oliver or Connors SM.

I’m ‘Que sera sera’ now. Would prefer Butters to join Geelong. Hopefully our young guns take the next step in 2025.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back