Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

Cheers to Lore for their hard work in setting this up, and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft - and please practice patience grasshoppers if it's not updated in the immediate aftermath of completed trade

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

I'll put odds on 7:28pm.

They're not even allowing trades to go through until 2pm, and it's the only day televised until 7:30pm.

It's all so contrived for viewership, which is fine...but it means we could do it in 5 days rather than 8.

I guess it all comes down to money, like most things.
Yep anything before 7:20pm and i'll be shocked... maybe even anything before 7:25 would be early IMO.

I'll put odds on 7:28pm.

They're not even allowing trades to go through until 2pm, and it's the only day televised until 7:30pm.

It's all so contrived for viewership, which is fine...but it means we could do it in 5 days rather than 8.

Thousands of people who would never listen to a radio station in today's day and age are tuning in, so it does work.

I guess it all comes down to money, like most things.

It's on Kayo?

It's on Kayo?
Yeah, the last day is. The rest just get the 20 minute run down of all that's gone on.

People are hardly going to tune in if James Peatling for a second round pick is the last deal standing.

They need Baz, Bolton, Barrass, Stringer, Rioli, etc still up in the air for a showtime finish with forced faux suspense.

It'll be same with Warner, Butters or whoever else next year.

Yep anything before 7:20pm and i'll be shocked... maybe even anything before 7:25 would be early IMO.
Bevo going to go all Tonya Harding on Mackie while he is on his way to process the trade at 7:29…….ooops sorry guess you have to go to the draft!!!

Something smells.
We apparently aren't after anyone (other than smith), and no one is after our players.

I'm not buying it.

Richmonds picks are ripe for the picking right now. I wonder if thats the sort of thing that the dogs are holding off for. i.e. waiting for us to uncover something else.

No idea, but something isn't right.
The dogs might end up with McRae and Daniel on their books tomorrow night and Smith in the draft.
That would be brilliant list management.
Nah we'd know by now unless it's picks only

The night before Smithmas

T'was the night before Smithmas at AFL house
And the GFC managers were quiet as a mouse
The 17th pick placed on the table with care,
In hopes that Sam Power soon would be there;
The fans were nestled all snug in their beds;
While visions of clearances danced in their heads;
And Mackie with a smile, and Scott with a wink,
Had just paused their plans for celebration drink,
When out on the lawn there arose such a clatter,
They sprang from their chairs to see what was the matter.
Away to the window Scott flew like a flash,
Tore open the shutters and threw up the sash.
The bright light on the street provided a glow,
And gave the light of day to objects below,
When what to Scott's wondering eyes did appear,
But a hertz car full of Melbourne football gear,
With a little old driver with movements overt,
Scott knew in a moment he must be Gary Pert
Swifter than Oleranshaw they got on the run,
And he yelled that his cadres were all in the gun:
"Now, Goodwin and Patterson!" He yelled with a scoff
We need to get of our all problems palmed off
"Keep Pickett! Keep Tracc!" He yelled with thunder
"but this contract of Piggy's will drag us under"
Now dash away! dash away! dash away all!"
And see if a suns trade can prevent our fall

Talking to managers holding picks they required
It soon became clear Clayton wasn't desired
When Oliver heard this he jumped up like a viper
And ran to their Hertz car and bent back the wiper
The phones now were ringing as Pert watched with alarm.
As Clarry met Stanley and sought life on a farm
If a trade with Geelong was about to transpire.
Then he knew right away that they were all fired
"Required player!" he yelled to no one out loud
"of his effort to reform we are incredibly proud"
they quickly tied Oliver up in a sack
Opened the door and threw him in the back
Now Mackie and Scott saw Melbourne traverse
As Goodwin and Pert threw the Hertz in reverse
As Melbourne sped away in an anxious flight
"WTF was that?!" Laughed Mackie in bewildered delight

"Not sure lads but you know I'm here to deliver"
Said a man with abs that made grown men quiver
Startled the cats men turned and met the gaze
Of Sam Power whose eyes were pent up with rage
Standing beside him the new Bellbrae resident
A man whose mullet could run for president
"So you have my pick?" Power said in sharp words
"Of course" said Mackie "and we've added a third"
"Sure" he said "I guess that'll do"
“Happy Smithmas to all, and above all f*** you"

Post of the year

Yeah, the last day is. The rest just get the 20 minute run down of all that's gone on.

People are hardly going to tune in if James Peatling for a second round pick is the last deal standing.

They need Baz, Bolton, Barrass, Stringer, Rioli, etc still up in the air for a showtime finish with forced faux suspense.

It'll be same with Warner, Butters or whoever else next year.
I don't buy the idea that trades are delayed for viewership. It's not in the interest of anyone directly involved in trading (players, managers, football club recruiters, etc) to do that. They have other, far stronger, incentives elsewhere. What is in their interest is playing games to try to get the best deal. It's like a convoluted game of chicken. And I get that it feels boring at our end. But the reality is that this part of our great game is not designed or run for us. The reporting and spectating is a side-effect of our interest in it - not the other way around.

I don't buy the idea that trades are delayed for viewership. It's not in the interest of anyone directly involved in trading (players, managers, football club recruiters, etc) to do that. They have other, far stronger, incentives elsewhere. What is in their interest is playing games to try to get the best deal. It's like a convoluted game of chicken. And I get that it feels boring at our end. But the reality is that this part of our great game is not designed or run for us. The reporting and spectating is a side-effect of our interest in it - not the other way around.
It's a good side benefit, but they often leave it until late to get as many opportunities in front of the other party to get a better hand as possible. We got nothing else coming in, may as well see if someone can shake a cats player loose to change the hand.

Something smells.
We apparently aren't after anyone (other than smith), and no one is after our players.

I'm not buying it.

Richmonds picks are ripe for the picking right now. I wonder if thats the sort of thing that the dogs are holding off for. i.e. waiting for us to uncover something else.

No idea, but something isn't right.
The dogs might end up with McRae and Daniel on their books tomorrow night and Smith in the draft.
That would be brilliant list management.
I agree something just doesn't seem to feel right to me. If it's just Smith we have been after all along and not getting involved in anything else even pick swaps I will be 1 amazed and 2 disappointed given of where we are at and even the club mentioned early in the trade period that midfield was a priority and just one player coming in off a year out is not going to be all we need.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back