Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

Cheers to Lore for their hard work in setting this up, and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft - and please practice patience grasshoppers if it's not updated in the immediate aftermath of completed trade

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

You’ve got a 50% chance of losing a prelim. But history shows us that there’s probably a 95% chance that smith will be a cat in 12 hours.
Recent history showed us that geelong playing brisbane in a final in melbourne with a week off was a 100 percent chance of being a win. Certainly the way many were considering it pre game. Gave me geelong vs freo 2013 final at home vibes.

Not saying its not likely to go through. The risk of it not going through is very real though. Games of chicken involve people egos. Sometimes egos drive outcomes of disaster.

Dang, was he spotted buying real estate on Barkly St or something?

No idea, but some are reasoning that the idea they're looking at trading Macrae & Daniel in "salary dump”moves is to help accommodate Butters when he makes the move across next season

As correctly pointed out, any salary dump this year doesn't really do much when talking about 2026

BUT what I think they're forgetting in that is clubs may not come for Macrae & Daniel in 12 months time, or if they do it'll be on reduced offers to this year - if the club genuinely views either/both those players in their best 22 then do what you can to keep them. But if it's going to be another year in the VFL and playing as the sub, they're going to lose value

No idea, but some are reasoning that the idea they're looking at trading Macrae & Daniel in "salary dump”moves is to help accommodate Butters when he makes the move across next season

As correctly pointed out, any salary dump this year doesn't really do much when talking about 2026

BUT what I think they're forgetting in that is clubs may not come for Macrae & Daniel in 12 months time, or if they do it'll be on reduced offers to this year - if the club genuinely views either/both those players in their best 22 then do what you can to keep them. But if it's going to be another year in the VFL and playing as the sub, they're going to lose value
Geez I reckon our #17 could come in handy for amo to get Butters.

Not a chance in the world they walk away from it and take zero for Smith.

think is more they need to shed some space for 8 year deals for bont and darcy next year as both are OOC.

So the NBA introduced the Stepien rule, which the AFL also has in in place, so that teams didn’t just throw 1st round pick after 1st round pick.

Makes me wonder if the AFL will introduce some rule for the Eagles/Suns to protect them from themselves. Hilarious that both teams are helmed by ex Tigers coaches wanting ex Tigers players at any cost.

We’re getting smith in who will be our best mid next year. So we won’t be running with the same midfield setup
Holmes is our best mid and im comfortable backing him to be our best next year with Smith in the team, future captain of our club

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It might.

With the cap space they create by trading Macrae and Daniel, they could potentially restructure existing contracts to front-end them, paying more in 2025, effectively reducing the amount they're liable to in 2026 onward.

I don't think Holmes will play much off halfback next year. Just enough to break a tag (and allow Stewart to break his, too) IMO.

We just need to taper the expectations a little; the guy is coming off a year missed with an ACL.

Possibly both true. The point was more in reference to the idea that our midfield will be so bad next year we're no chance. when whichever way you look at it there will be a net improvement with Smith added and no major outs.

However, aside from Holmes I'm bullish Smith will outperform everyone we have, perhaps with the exception of Danger in spurts. He would have had 18 months recovery from the ACL by round 1, and is in a different class to Atkins and Bowes. Bruhn shows potential, but its still only potential, whereas Smith (granted 2 yeas ago now, but as a 20yo) has demonstrated he can be an A grader.

It's on Kayo?
Yes, Kayo + also on Foxtel Ch504 from 7pm tonight.

From Fox Sport, this morning:
“Re-live Tuesday October 15’s trade news below!”

🙀 🙀 🙀 Who could not want to watch that borefest again? 😳

We just need to taper the expectations a little; the guy is coming off a year missed with an ACL.
I agree.

Smith should be a nice addition to the team but I think he is a tad overrated.

The reality is he was never really a true mid at the Dogs (more an outside runner/receiver) and ended up banished to a forward flank (poor coaching though imo) + he is coming of a full year off and meh form prior to that.

People thinking he is gonna come in and dominate in the middle of the ground might end up a tad disappointed.

Has anyone checked on our friends at West Coast this morning, i tried but couldn't get around all the toys that had been thrown out of the cot!!!

The worst thing that happened since the Ben cousins drug problem and the second and Third problem.

Surely there's something else going on for the Cats other than the Smith trade tmo
There could have been, except Green + Pert have chained Oliver to the night lights’ electric generator at Casey 🦹🏻 ⚡🦹

Has Clayton Oliver been traded to Geelong yet :sleepy:?

It might.

With the cap space they create by trading Macrae and Daniel, they could potentially restructure existing contracts to front-end them, paying more in 2025, effectively reducing the amount they're liable to in 2026 onward.

That's the thing, some Bulldogs fans don't think they've got a salary cap squeeze at all and moving on too many players could make it harder to reach the minimum payment threshold

Moving on Daniel & Macrae may force a few contracts to be restructured

So the NBA introduced the Stepien rule, which the AFL also has in in place, so that teams didn’t just throw 1st round pick after 1st round pick.

Makes me wonder if the AFL will introduce some rule for the Eagles/Suns to protect them from themselves. Hilarious that both teams are helmed by ex Tigers coaches wanting ex Tigers players at any cost.

I presume you are referring to 2 R1 picks in 4 years …. What ever has been is about to change. If clubs are allowed to trade two years into the future… then there is going to be an inflationary affect … Suddenly every second half decent player is going to be worth three R1 picks… If Cameron cost three R1 picks ..then Harley Reid may be four R1 picks ..which sounds insane. How many picks would the Crows have wanted for Danger?

Next year. Butters three R1 picks? We have not drafted this year ..so that 4 years and no R1.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back