Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

Cheers to Lore for their hard work in setting this up, and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft - and please practice patience grasshoppers if it's not updated in the immediate aftermath of completed trade

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Draft and Trade Period Key Dates​

Oct 17 to Nov 8: Pick swap window
Nov 1 to Nov 8: Delisted free agency period
Nov 20-21: Telstra AFL Draft
Nov 22: Telstra Pre-Season Draft and Rookie Draft

We can only have 2 category B rookies and I'm pretty sure their salary isn't counted fully towards the salary cap.

So we would want to keep Mullin (who would be on much more than standard rookie money as a star of the Irish game) on the category B rookie list. Same with the new kid Cillian Burke who is much more advanced than the typical Irish rookie.

So Furphy had to make way.

We can only have 2 category B rookies and I'm pretty sure their salary isn't counted fully towards the salary cap.

So we would want to keep Mullin (who would be on much more than standard rookie money as a star of the Irish game) on the category B rookie list. Same with the new kid Cillian Burke who is much more advanced than the typical Irish rookie.

I thought news reports suggested that he's not coming over?

With the delisting being this late and after the trade period I’m assuming the Irish rookie is a certainty to come over and that we’re taking another ruck. Makes me think we might add someone more certain such as a delisted free agent but maybe we are just going to take the best mature ruck available with our picks.

Can anyone make sense of list spots we have?
Surely there’s something up their sleeve other than Martin as a DFA

Doesn’t make much sense to me, although I haven’t spent too much time thinking about it
Them getting rid of Furphy screams we have someone we want as a Cat B rookie to me

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With the delisting being this late and after the trade period I’m assuming the Irish rookie is a certainty to come over and that we’re taking another ruck. Makes me think we might add someone more certain such as a delisted free agent but maybe we are just going to take the best mature ruck available with our picks.
I'd say its more likely it means we have a Cat B in mind than another ruck. Furphy was 0% chance of playing AFL next year anyway, so it doesn't really impact our ruck stocks in the immediate term.

When listed at his ageit was mentioned the hope was he would be able to be close to being ready. I suppose they made the decision that he was still multiple years away ..which would make him 27 … and that there was going to be guys available far close to be a legit back up… Whether thats Rookie A or B or whatever who knows.

Perhaps they think that there will be some late height in the draft that they will be able to access….

but we now look.. young and old and thin … so they must have something in mind… as we are only a couple injuries to guys that will be 34 ..to relying on improvisation

Do they see Sam Dek as permanent Ruck. ?

I’m shocked. Seems very harsh.

It will be because the Irish kid is coming in and we wanted to create a cat b spot for him (we could have given up a cat a spot but still).

I would definitely be adding a ruck now whether it's a raw cat a rookie like pike or ajang or a more mature state league ruck backup. As with Stanley and Conway having issues we will need it.

When listed at his ageit was mentioned the hope was he would be able to be close to being ready. I suppose they made the decision that he was still multiple years away ..which would make him 27 … and that there was going to be guys available far close to be a legit back up… Whether thats Rookie A or B or whatever who knows.

Perhaps they think that there will be some late height in the draft that they will be able to access….

but we now look.. young and old and thin … so they must have something in mind… as we are only a couple injuries to guys that will be 34 ..to relying on improvisation

Do they see Sam Dek as permanent Ruck. ?

I think Sam will be rucking next year purely because Conway likely won't be ready but long term it would be good to unearth a ready ruck so sdk can go back to defence. I would think talls with our rookie picks would be a focus.

Technically they could have moved mullin to the cat a rookie list and given up a cat a spot and kept furphy but in essence you are correct.

Rumoured we are looking at Blakiston - East Freo ruckman , Saints also interested.
Would need to get ahead of Saints 3rd pick if we were to grab him?

You would have seen more of Blakiston than me but I would be surprised if he goes main draft I would have thought we could get him at one of our rookie picks. Judging by interest I would say bice and henderson (and maybe davidson) are more likely to go in the main draft but who knows.

Can anyone make sense of list spots we have?
Surely there’s something up their sleeve other than Martin as a DFA

Doesn’t make much sense to me, although I haven’t spent too much time thinking about it

4 senior list spots (factoring in Martin and smith)
3 cat A rookie spots
1 cat b spot (probably burke)

Technically they could have moved mullin to the cat a rookie list and given up a cat a spot and kept furphy but in essence you are correct.

Yeah but pretty sure that would've impacted our salary cap since not the whole salary is counted for Cat Bs.

More likely we would've moved Furphy to Cat A if we rated him since he'd be on a much lower wage than Mullin but clearly we didn't rate him.

It will be because the Irish kid is coming in and we wanted to create a cat b spot for him (we could have given up a cat a spot but still).

I would definitely be adding a ruck now whether it's a raw cat a rookie like pike or ajang or a more mature state league ruck backup. As with Stanley and Conway having issues we will need it.

We could’ve also promoted Mullin.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back