Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

Cheers to Lore for their hard work in setting this up, and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft - and please practice patience grasshoppers if it's not updated in the immediate aftermath of completed trade

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Draft and Trade Period Key Dates​

Oct 17 to Nov 8: Pick swap window
Nov 1 to Nov 8: Delisted free agency period
Nov 20-21: Telstra AFL Draft
Nov 22: Telstra Pre-Season Draft and Rookie Draft

I would definitely be adding a ruck now whether it's a raw cat a rookie like pike or ajang or a more mature state league ruck backup. As with Stanley and Conway having issues we will need it.

Pike is the same age as Edwards so will be a long way off AFL ready.

Ajang is a talent and more physically ready but he's incredibly raw. I'd be stunned if he's ready next year.

These guys just aren't in any way a solution for next year. Happy to pick them if we rate them but it's for the long-term not short term.

I want to see what SDK can be with a preseason focusing on the ruck. His stint there was so impressive this year. He showed he could be an elite ruck and there's nobody else on our list who could be that next year.

Pike is the same age as Edwards so will be a long way off AFL ready.

Ajang is a talent and more physically ready but he's incredibly raw. I'd be stunned if he's ready next year.

These guys just aren't in any way a solution for next year. Happy to pick them if we rate them but it's for the long-term not short term.

I want to see what SDK can be with a preseason focusing on the ruck. His stint there was so impressive this year. He showed he could be an elite ruck and there's nobody else on our list who could be that next year.

We have had a good look at Pike and Ajang … so we either like them or we don’t. It seem likely we will have have spot at the mid year …so someone like Pike for example on our VFL would be almost having without being listed...

The issue with both is only the perception that neither look like they would do a good 2K time. WE seem to rate athletic ability highly.

We could’ve also promoted Mullin.

We could've although the salary cap issue may have affected that (although I'm sure we have cap room and mullin will probably be on the senior list in 12 months anyway).

Wasn’t there a Sudanese kid running around local footy in Geelong that looked a draftable ruckmen?

That was ajang kuol. He was OK in a couple of games for our vfl team he's very very raw, needs to learn a lot about positioning etc-nowhere near afl ready but did a couple of things that made me think long term he could be a good player.

That was ajang kuol. He was OK in a couple of games for our vfl team he's very very raw, needs to learn a lot about positioning etc-nowhere near afl ready but did a couple of things that made me think long term he could be a good player.

He did one noce jump at the combine …but no word on how he went on running. He looked slow when he played at VFL..

You would have seen more of Blakiston than me but I would be surprised if he goes main draft I would have thought we could get him at one of our rookie picks. Judging by interest I would say bice and henderson (and maybe davidson) are more likely to go in the main draft but who knows.
Quite possible PO , might depend on how serious the Saints are.
Blakiston looks like a Wells type - tall , rangy and very athletic with good skills.

I think we will also train up SDK in the preseason as ruck , he showed decent ability around the ground as a ruck and got around 20 touches each game. Train him up on ruck craft and he could be anything to be honest.
Hopefully COS can bulk up a bit and play a few games as a key back , allows SDK to play ruck.

Blakiston could be good insurance , played some very good games once Teakle left.

Cat B Rookie V CAT A Rookie? - Is a Cat B somebody who has essentially come from a different sport (eg Blitz, O'Conner, Mullin etc) while a Cat A is like your Brad Close, Zuthrie, Atkins (basically half our 2022 Premiership side)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So if we have 4 list spots open you would assume we will use three of our existing picks 45, 57 and 75 and have a spot open if we want and can trade a future pick into this draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back