Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

Cheers to Lore for their hard work in setting this up, and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft - and please practice patience grasshoppers if it's not updated in the immediate aftermath of completed trade

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Draft and Trade Period Key Dates​

Oct 17 to Nov 8: Pick swap window
Nov 1 to Nov 8: Delisted free agency period
Nov 20-21: Telstra AFL Draft
Nov 22: Telstra Pre-Season Draft and Rookie Draft

He looks a clever player. Not sure it's enough for him to make it though.

Realistically he's only got this year to make his mark. He's already 22.

I think they'll give him more time...he reminds me of a mix of Dempsey and Ollie Henry, tbh. If he shows something this year and stays injury free, I reckon he might get himself a senior game and get another contract. He's got a lot of tricks and plays much taller than his height suggests (similar to Close when he was drafted).

Less confident on Stevens given he's slow as a wet week and the game is trending away from that, but Wiltshire is a real chance given his attributes.

I think they'll give him more time...he reminds me of a mix of Dempsey and Ollie Henry, tbh. If he shows something this year and stays injury free, I reckon he might get himself a senior game and get another contract. He's got a lot of tricks and plays much taller than his height suggests (similar to Close when he was drafted).

Less confident on Stevens given he's slow as a wet week and the game is trending away from that, but Wiltshire is a real chance given his attributes.
Not a great draft next year too replace him too. Not sure he'll have to show too much with predicted retirements

Looks like Wiltshire didn't play too much this season so guessing he was injured. Is he a good small forward ? What do you think the club sees in him ?

Injury interrupted first half of the season and then showed some good signs when he was able to get on the park but he'll need to show more next year if he wants a 3rd season

Feeling like we're increasingly likely to trade at least our 1st, or our 2nd and 3rds to a team who needs points for next year. With that said, it also seems like we've just gone 'yep these rookies sucked and aren't likely to make it, let's give another bunch a shot in a much deeper draft - and maybe just go with the mature agers for the here and now.'

Something like (as an example, not the exact outcome):

Rookies:

OUT: Jeka, Hardie, Murdoch, Furphy
IN: Blakiston, Davidson, SSP/MSD, Burke

Senior:

OUT: Hawkins, Tuohy, Rohan, Parfitt, Foster, Willis
IN: B. Smith, J. Martin, (J. Whitlock/Hotton/Shanahan/Hynes etc. for Future 1st), Jacques, J. Henderson, Bice

Will be interesting to see what we do, but I thought something similar last week, and wouldn't be surprised to see us double down on the 'Mannagh strategy', and worry about the here and now - especially when we always seem to have so few decent picks.

Would also not surprise me if some of our later picks turn out better than a lot of the later ones. It's why recruiters want more picks. It's not a 'superstar draft', it's an even one. It's why someone like Hotton at 15 could be as good as J. Smith in the Top 5. Probably why we'll we happy to load up at any point, as we usually get at least one absolute gem at the end - and it costs us far less than trying to amass picks at the pointy end (we also don't lose players like other clubs, so that's another reason we don't have these picks).

Last edited:
Feeling like we're increasingly likely to trade at least our 1st, or our 2nd and 3rds to a team who needs points for next year. With that said, it also seems like we've just gone 'yep these rookies sucked and aren't likely to make it, let's give another bunch a shot in a much deeper draft - and maybe just go with the mature agers for the here and now.'

Something like (as an example, not the exact outcome):

Rookies:

OUT: Jeka, Hardie, Murdoch, Furphy
IN: Blakiston, Davidson, SSP/MSD, Burke

Senior:

OUT: Hawkins, Tuohy, Rohan, Parfitt, Foster, Willis
IN: B. Smith, J. Martin, (J. Whitlock/Hotton/Shanahan/Hynes etc. for Future 1st), Jacques, J. Henderson, Bice

Will be interesting to see what we do, but I thought something similar last week, and wouldn't be surprised to see us double down on the 'Mannagh strategy', and worry about the here and now - especially when we always seem to have so few decent picks.

Would also not surprise me if some of our later picks turn out better than a lot of the later ones. It's why recruiters want more picks. It's not a 'superstar draft', it's an even one. It's why someone like Hotton at 15 could be as good as J. Smith in the Top 5. Probably why we'll we happy to load up at any point, as we usually get at least one absolute gem at the end - and it costs us far less than trying to amass picks at the pointy end (we also don't lose players like other clubs, so that's another reason we don't have these picks).

The problem is Mannagh was absolutely dominant at VFL level and there aren't any mature age options nearly as good as him this year. We'd be much more likely to get a Hardie than a Mannagh.

He might make it. I like the look of him. He reminds me quite a bit of Jack Martin.

But he'll be 23 by the end of next season. He's the same age as Holmes. There's no way we give him another contract unless he's shown enough to get a bunch of games next year and is either in the best 22 or very close.

He might make it. I like the look of him. He reminds me quite a bit of Jack Martin.

But he'll be 23 by the end of next season. He's the same age as Holmes. There's no way we give him another contract unless he's shown enough to get a bunch of games next year and is either in the best 22 or very close.

I don't think that really matters tbh, as we took him as a 21 year old who had a lot of development left. 23 isn't the end of days, so I'd say they'd give him a couple of years to develop at least - before placing those expectations on him. Remember, he was only taken in last year's draft, and had a bit of injury at the start...so has only had a handful of games to showcase his wares.

We saw enough in him to take him as a senior pick rather than a rook, so I can't see him being delisted after only 1 initial contract. Even Foster and Willis got an extra year when they showed not much at all.

Reckon he builds this year, and then hopefully gets a 1 or 2 year extension and really starts hitting his straps at 24 or 25. Will be an interesting watch regardless, as I think he has loads of talent - just needs to get on the park/continue his development to showcase it and push for a senior spot when the opportunity presents. He's my 'breakout' in the VFL candidate for this year, IMO.

The problem is Mannagh was absolutely dominant at VFL level and there aren't any mature age options nearly as good as him this year. We'd be much more likely to get a Hardie than a Mannagh.

Mannagh dominated the grand final but wasn't the dominant player in the league. He didn't win Werribee's B&F for example. Hardie was similarly dominant in the SANFL before we picked him up.

The question isn't so much whether a player is dominating at VFL level. It's whether their skills translate. Mannagh's clearly do. Humphries only played WAFL seniors in the back half of the year last year and his skills clearly translate.

Look I agree 100 % I like pike and ajang and I think both could work long term but neither will play afl next year.

My point was with Furphy gone we have room to add another ruck (when you factor in the vfl side won't really have any tall fwd either) and given forward planning for no Stanley and blitz in 2026 we should.

The question is whether we are better off with the best raw long term kid (such as pike etc) or if we go and rookie the beat state league we can as afl cover in case we either want to move sdk back or he gets injured.

The cupboard is so bare now that I think we need a readymade ruck. Stanley is so cooked and Conway doesn't have the durability. All of our other options are just workarounds.

Mannagh's an outlier though. We shouldn't be expecting another version of him, nor do we necessarily need it.

If he can perform for a full season like he did this year, he'd be knocking on the door of AA selection. He's also much older even for a 'mature age' pick-up. He's a very rare commodity.

You're right that we're highly unlikely to be finding another version of him, but if we can find another player at Close or Atkins' level with a late pick we'd be doing very well.

Those late picks are so unlikely to make it that even if you're just finding bottom 6-10 best 22 players, it's a huge win.

I thought he looked really good in the VFL. When the game was on the line he seemed like a real match winner. He did have a few different injuries - thumb, pelvis - and only managed 7 games, but he looks special.
I only saw him late in the year when he came back from injury. Did not see anything to make me think he would still be on the list in 2026. Hope I am wrong.

I always thought Noah had everything it took to be a handy player, but it looks like he doesn't fit Richmond's plans going forward

Doesn't surprise, there types of players who add value being depth and as that last guy in the 22, who is capable of doing something big in the moment. But when you're shit, they have no growth potential, what they are now is all they'll be, you give the games to the guy who could be something that could hold up a 22.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back