Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

Cheers to Lore for their hard work in setting this up, and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft - and please practice patience grasshoppers if it's not updated in the immediate aftermath of completed trade

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Draft and Trade Period Key Dates​

Oct 17 to Nov 8: Pick swap window
Nov 1 to Nov 8: Delisted free agency period
Nov 20-21: Telstra AFL Draft
Nov 22: Telstra Pre-Season Draft and Rookie Draft

Could knevitt be a defender?

He was a centre-bounce mid at junior level.

I think his best position in the AFL will be to play wing. He is good over-head and a really good runner. Kicking still needs work and I think this would be even more vital if he was to play half-back. I hope we see him play a bit of wing this year, could be a very important cog getting back to help defend and providing a marking target out of D50. My fingers are crossed that he has a Zuthrie like arc of improvement in front of him.

Winning those games doesn't magically mean our midfield is 'fixed'. We lack a set of top-line clearance winners and are overwhelmingly dependent on Holmes and Dangerfield to break lines through the middle.

In particular, we are liable to being chopped up the middle for periods of games, like Brisbane did in the third quarter of that game, and StKilda did late in the season.

Our midfield definitely relies to heavily on Dangerfield and outside of Holmes lacks A grade talent. Hopefully Smith helps to rectify this someway but most of the really good teams have 3x guns.

I will say though, our clearance numbers for the second half of the year were actually up at the pointy end. We completely rectified that stat after the 6 game losing streak and it actually became a strength.

I did not say he's as good as Cameron but in terms of complimenting our team, he is the perfect player to bring in because we now have two explosive midfielders and only half the teams in the competition have that in their midfield brigade.
We are going to be playing deep into September again as we have improved the list from what we had this season.

Obviously not cameron but i absolutely agree that he is exactly what we need.

His age, his running capacity, speed, ability to hit the scoreboard, he tackles. He was the best available and we got him for what is a very reasonable price. It's a very important piece of business and our midfield balance immediately looks better. Still need clarke or bruhn to come on and will need to find another along the way.

I did not say he's as good as Cameron but in terms of complimenting our team, he is the perfect player to bring in because we now have two explosive midfielders and only half the teams in the competition have that in their midfield brigade.
We are going to be playing deep into September again as we have improved the list from what we had this season.

I'd say far less than half have the 'explosive' mids that we possess. We actually have 3 now - Danger, Holmes and Smith. Stewart ain't slow either, and he's big bodied and explosive off the mark (if he's in there).

Adelaide have Soligo, maybe Rankine when he goes through there
Brisbane have W. Ashcroft and Rayner and Bailey when they go through there
Carlton have no-one, maybe Cripps given his size covers his lack of speed
Collingwood have De Goey
Essendon have Durham and Zerrett
Freo have Young
Gold Coast have Rowell, maybe Miller at a stretch
GWS have Coniglio and Daniels, maybe Green for the same reasons as Cripps
Hawthorn have no-one
Melbourne have Petracca
North have LDU and Wardlaw
Port have Rozee, Butters and JHF
Richmond have no-one
Sydney have Warner and Heeney
Bulldogs have Bont and Richards
West Coast have Reid

So at a stretch, I'd say only GWS, Brisbane, Port and us have 3 explosive mids...which funnily enough, are 4 of the top 5 teams. Sydney, Bulldogs, GC, Adelaide, North and Essendon all have 2. If you think Danger plays more forward next year, then you're right it's around half. I still think given they revamped Danger's running style/technique when coming off the mark to avoid further injury, that he should be counted alongside the other two as 'burst' mids. If that's the case, we're one of only 4 in the comp to have 3 + Stewart who is a big bodied burst player, but could play in defence (still unknown).

Good Variety there too. It is exciting. Shame no oliver :)

Was listening to SEN the other day and they mentioned Carlton having the best top 5 in the comp.
If Smith can have a really good year our top 5 will look pretty solid.

Cameron, Stewart, Holmes, Danger (Still), then hopefully Smith.
Hopefully in 2 years time, Holmes / Smith / SDK are firmly entrenched.
Would obviously be nice to add a butters, cadman or TDK to this list.

Maybe only carlton and brisbane have better top 5's. Maybe the dogs.

Brisbane: Neale, Ashcroft, McCluggage, Andrews, Zorko (+ rayner, cameron, starcevich).
Carlton: Cripps, Walsh, Weitering, Curnow then maybe Mackay
Dogs: Bont, Treloar, Naughton, Darcy, Richards
Sydney: Gulden, Heeney, Warner but it falls right away after that.

Yeah I'd say our top end is as good as anyones. I'd argue right now that our Top 5 are Cameron, Stewart, Holmes, Danger and Miers - who is every bit a star the last two years. Stengle was in that conversation all year too, until his Prelim final meltdown. Add Smith returning to his best and that gives us 7 top shelf players, who the oppo have to put considerable time in to stopping. SDK, Humphries and Dempsey all in the conversation too if they reach their potential in coming years. That would be 10. Zuthrie, Mannagh and both Henry's no slouches either.

A lot of ifs and buts, however, there's definite potential there and a lot of talent at the top end if they all reach their potential. Danger will be gone soon, but while he's here, he's a force to be reckoned with.

THE NFL contracts are written to contain injury clauses and other things to protect club and player in theory for against overly long and dangerous deals.

EG

GAS gets 5 year 125 million dollar deal.

75 million guaranteed.

The rest (50milllion) is paid in bonuses, and as wages over the remaining life of contract provided terms are met by both player and team.

Now in the NFL the teams can trade the player without players consent but they must get someone to accept the remaining terms of the deal.

So if GAS goes out injured and retires they can renegotiate payout and terms.

The Browns in the above case fully guaranteed the entire deal which is closer to the AFL terms of a contract and thus why I mentioned it and how it can go really really bad. And it has.

The NFL has WAY more complex metrics to deal with cooking the books and shifting $$ forward and back that I dont fully get myself... but its a complicated thing.

As for the trading oif players, my team the Broncos killed them selves and padi Russell Wilson 245 million for 5 years but it wasnt fully guaranteed.

We trraded him away after 2 season of crap performane but in the 3rd year we are paying 37 million of his 38 million dollar per year deal this year so he can play for someone else - just to get rid if him. Jack Bowes eat your heart out lol

Point is, longer term deals with dodgy people can end very very badly and trading out FR picks can go the same way.

GO Catters
Crazy ****ing money I couldn’t imagine what that would be like

Brisbane: Neale, Ashcroft, McCluggage, Andrews, Zorko (+ rayner, cameron, starcevich).

Brizzys list is scary when you consider they're adding in another Ashcroft. And they had all those players mentioned performing well in finals this year.
Can't say for sure but I think if it wasn't for that passage of play when we were 20 something points up and we completely blew an easy chance where we had the outnumber, we probably would have won the prelim. That moment seemed to have turned the tide. And it was great seeing O Henry stand up in that game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brizzys list is scary when you consider they're adding in another Ashcroft. And they had all those players mentioned performing well in finals this year.
Can't say for sure but I think if it wasn't for that passage of play when we were 20 something points up and we completely blew an easy chance where we had the outnumber, we probably would have won the prelim. That moment seemed to have turned the tide. And it was great seeing O Henry stand up in that game.

Oh it's heartbreaking isn't it!
Your moment i remember too clearly!

I can't stop thinking about the centre bounce after henry's goal to put us in front with 2 to play.
Atkins wins the clearance but has his kick smothered and Brisbane go forward and goal. It would have been a snap kick forward to even numbers. If that doesn't get smothered...

Hearing we might be looking way out west this upcoming draft.
2 big lads I believe.
Young bloke named Dennis. CHB/FB??
Kay Gerren?? Big CHF/FF/Ruck??
And another Clark... from SthOz??
Trying to get a pick or two in the 30'-40's range.

Like all 3 as latish picks.

Yeah I'd say our top end is as good as anyones. I'd argue right now that our Top 5 are Cameron, Stewart, Holmes, Danger and Miers - who is every bit a star the last two years. Stengle was in that conversation all year too, until his Prelim final meltdown. Add Smith returning to his best and that gives us 7 top shelf players, who the oppo have to put considerable time in to stopping. SDK, Humphries and Dempsey all in the conversation too if they reach their potential in coming years. That would be 10. Zuthrie, Mannagh and both Henry's no slouches either.

A lot of ifs and buts, however, there's definite potential there and a lot of talent at the top end if they all reach their potential. Danger will be gone soon, but while he's here, he's a force to be reckoned with.

Danger's form in the back end of the last two years has been so so good. We will miss him terribly.

Agree on Miers, absolutely love what he has become. Feels hard to talk about him without talking about the dimension that he and has crew of smalls brings to our team - Miers coupled with Dempsey, Close, Mannagh and Stengle is our greatest weapon at the moment. All neat and clever uses, all good runners (maybe stengle is the weakest here) and all can hit the scoreboard. It's good to watch.

Think we just need one more gun mid. I'm hopeful Clarke or Bruhn will develop into the player we need them to be.

Did you (or anyone) watch any COS footy last year? How's he tracking?

Would absolutely love to have a top ten pick this year to take Armstrong or Hotton though!

Oh it's heartbreaking isn't it!
Your moment i remember too clearly!

I can't stop thinking about the centre bounce after henry's goal to put us in front with 2 to play.
Atkins wins the clearance but has his kick smothered and Brisbane go forward and goal. It would have been a snap kick forward to even numbers. If that doesn't get smothered...
Yeah it looked like a bit of a bad call by Atkins

Our midfield definitely relies to heavily on Dangerfield and outside of Holmes lacks A grade talent. Hopefully Smith helps to rectify this someway but most of the really good teams have 3x guns.

I will say though, our clearance numbers for the second half of the year were actually up at the pointy end. We completely rectified that stat after the 6 game losing streak and it actually became a strength.
Yes, it did - but it wasn't the coalface work that bothered me so much as it was the control of the midfield once the ball was moving.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back