List Mgmt. Gibbs - 2017 trade discussions! (Gibbs swapped for Wigg or 2nd)

Do you think Gibbs will be an Adelaide player by the end of this trade period?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
To actually think we are any worse off is laughable.

Lyons is not Rory Sloane.

He was barely best 22 and played something like 70% ToG per game.
Well instead of Lyons we now have CEY in the best 22, who is absolutely not Lyons. So yes, worse off

People need to stop being so salty.

The trade didn't get done. It sucks, yes. Is it the end of the world, no. No anger at Reidy, No anger at Carlton.

Bryce is contracted. We had our maximum price. Carlton had their lowest acceptable price. The two didn't intersect.

Gibbs is a wonderful player, would've added to our team but he isn't the key between us winning a premiership or not. As such, it would've been totally irresponsible (as Reidy said) to throw what Carlton wanted. If the player was Pendlebury-esque then you'd have to think about it.

We have a lot of improvement in our 22 left to come. We re-load give it a crack and then use our warchest for FA next year.

My heart hasn't beated so hard, other than a close game .......was devastated when we didn't get Gibbs, but really like that a player has been held to a long-term contract he himself orchestrated ......that may in fact help the AFC in seasons to come

Look we're one player down and heaps of talent in the wings .........just disappointed that we couldn't get back into the 2nd round this year :(

So Reid just confirmed 2 first rounders plus was the demand from Carlton.

Silvani has just cut off Carlton's nose to spite their face. A first rounder and a second were on the table for a 28 year old to a club in rebuild phase.

In 6 months when they realise what they gave up to hold onto a guy who wants to leave, and we all know what Gibbs looks like when he can't be arsed... their supporters will stop licking Silvani's balls

No winners here
Here's the thing, the bloke has a contract, a long term one at that. You guys could have had a shot at a flag with him. Why on earth would we hand him over unless we got overs? It doesn't make any sense. That's like me saying, give me your house for exactly for what it's worth, and you can't replace it and by giving it to me, I can double the value of my house. It's not our problem. It was on Adelaide to make it happen. That's why we signed him to a long term deal to stop this stuff happening.

No offense to Adelaide, and I quite like you guys, but we don't owe you anything. Nor do you owe us, but if you want a required player with a long term contract, and you announce on day one of the trade period you are taking him, you better come up with an offer we can't refuse

Who is to say that we haven't been chasing players and talking to managers all year? That happens at every club. Just because we don't come out and announce it that we are interested doesn't mean it isn't being done. Thinking we sat and did nothing else but this is just plain silly. Because Reid said we were going to the draft until Carlton approached us about Gibbs, that tells me that we knew there wasn't anything else on offer. Now that could be the company line as well.
Nikki, we are a team which is a bee's dick away from being a genuine contender. If Im a guy like Dustin Martin, for example, Im considering Adelaide a genuine option for the right money. The fact that we weren't able to entice a genuine A grade mid here says a lot about our club. The fact that we weren't able to get a guy who wanted to come home, says a lot about our club.

These things dont happen in a split second. They've had months to plan a strategy, and years to configure our list. Yet here we are again, actually one short on our 2016 midfield group.

Im genuinely glad we've kept our first picks for 2016 and 17. But F me, better list management would have seen us in a position to have our cake and eat it too, yet the best tactic we can come up with is to lowball a pretty solid mid to make sure we have enough mid range picks to grab a F/s who is undersized and under paced, and at best is a future prospect. Again, our list management strategy is all over the shop. I'd love to see our version of Hawthorn's planning document. I bet it doesn't exist.

Won't help you now. You needed to act now in last trade period and this one. Last year, there was nothing you could do about it. This year you told the world that you want a premiership but you are not willing to do anything for it.
Oh we were willing, SOS just chronically overvalued him. I'll back the improving Milera, Cameron, Crouch x2 to have a bigger impact than Bryce would have, as nice as it would've been.

The bloke signed a 5 year contract, he has no one to blame but himself.
When he signed that deal Carlton gave him all sorts of assurances they would be challenging for a flag soon. Very next year they brought in Silvani who has gone full rebuild mode with spud offcasts from GWS. I actually feel sorry for the guy. Talk about unrequited loyalty

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well instead of Lyons we now have CEY in the best 22, who is absolutely not Lyons. So yes, worse off
no we have a plethora of players that can do what lyons does ... he is not a best 22 player if everyone is fit which makes him not best 22. do you want to pay 500k for a player that spends half the time in the sanfl?

Uh we have Sloane, Crouch, Crouch on the mega inside. We should be worried about our midfield run far more.

You have 0 clue.

You have MCrouch that's it. If you want Sloane and Brouch to play "mega inside" then you have no regard for what they offer on the outside.

We will see.

Essentially our midfield has to have a re-build now and that can take a good 2-3 years.
Take Thompson out of the equation, keep Lyons and add an inside/outside and we are good to go hard at the cup.

Won't help you now. You needed to act now in last trade period and this one. Last year, there was nothing you could do about it. This year you told the world that you want a premiership but you are not willing to do anything for it.
And you told the world that you'd rather stuff over your players ad their families
As well as that you're not serious about rebuilding a list that can contend. 2 less quality players in the future for Carlton, 2 more for us. Good work champ

I have considerable empathy for the Gibbs family unit. They are the real human faces in this request to come home to Adelaide.
Our club obviously wanted to facilitate the trade that would be fair to both clubs.

CFC had other greedy ideas.

Very proud we did not sell the farm.

no we have a plethora of players that can do what lyons does ... he is not a best 22 player if everyone is fit which makes him not best 22. do you want to pay 500k for a player that spends half the time in the sanfl?

Ah please 500k gtfo!
Even then we pay Mackay 400k and JL is definitely 100k better player

The key trade from my perspective was the Geelong Touhey trade ........FFS a player and first round for him?

That picked ended up being used for the steal of the draft .....Marchbank, Pickett, and whats his name ?

Pussy's GWS gave all those players away for next to nothing ......once that deal was done, Carlton never needed us, and that was game set & match

You have MCrouch that's it. If you want Sloane and Brouch to play "mega inside" then you have no regard for what they offer on the outside.

We will see.

Essentially our midfield has to have a re-build now and that can take a good 2-3 years.
Take Thompson out of the equation, keep Lyons and add an inside/outside and we are good to go hard at the cup.
I think with Campo still coaching we'll continue to do the same thing with the same players.

Exactly. 2 first rounders for a 28 year old is irresponsible list management - and if that deal had gone through you would've had the people saying the recruiting staff 'Fail with a capital F' and were 'humiliated' for not making a deal saying that 2 x first round picks would be a 'Fail with a capital F' and 'humiliated'.

You can't please some people. There would be posters on here ready to call this trade period a 'Fail with a capital F', 'humiliating' etc regardless of the deal/no deal done for Gibbs.

Justin Reid wasn't clear on whether it was just two first round picks Carlton wanted. He said "plus" and then was cut off. Whether that meant "plus they'd give us something back"?

It sounds like we offered this year 1st plus future 3rd.

Carlton were in the position of strength in this trade.

I think this years 1st plus a 2nd rounder or this years 1st, next years 1st and getting back a high 2nd from Carlton would be worth doing.

Two 1st rounders alone and I think Adelaide did the right thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back