Gillon McLachlan's meeting with the Lions and the end of Holmes

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I probably wouldnt expect Swann to jump right in. He finishes at Carlton 20 something of June. He then needs to relocate, and will probably have a bit of a break. Wont be a lot of the season left by this stage, and I think most of his work will be done in the off season anyway getting ready for next year. So I dont think there will be a rush to get him here, will be interesting how quick an announcement is made though.

He will get here in time to get himself acquainted and ready to kick into gear come off season. The interesting development could be the agreement with the Ipswich council about springfield which is due end of june. Swann wont be here by then, so does Bob have free reign or will the AFL quietly enforce them to decline.

Angus Johnson was in the Lions rooms tonight, wtf, you seriously couldn't make this up

Last edited:

Angus Johnson was in the Lions rooms, wtf, you seriously couldn't make this up
You're allowed to enjoy the win and not always post about the admin, you know?

Swann obviously wants to jump ship and head to a better club.

You're allowed to enjoy the win and not always post about the admin, you know?

The board was fantastic out there. Full credit to them!

While in the office today (Collins St, Docklands), went down to get my morning coffee at about 10.45am only to see Greg Swann and Bob Sharpless in the lift chatting. They had obviously just had a meeting/interview.

I can confirm Greg Swann is talking to the Lions - where it leads.....????

Read the interview and the goodbye note.

Passion for more than just a club focus seems to be the underlining thing. The lions does need vision to change the mould that does not seem to be working. Embracing fitzroy roots and the entire state of Qld instead of just Brisbane would be an exciting challenge for a 'can do' man with a great track record in this. I would love this appointment on face value ... The rivers of gold swann brings from being an AFL endorsed appointment will get the job done I feel for Swann though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perhaps you should read up on his work with Gold Coast United & North Queensland Fury.

Maybe enlighten us a bit more - he was the head of the A-League itself at the time those clubs dissolved wasn't he? From what I remember NQF could barely get a fifth of the $1.5m required for a license and it just wasn't doable going forward, it was all a bit of a disaster iirc.

If there are issues with those clubs specifically relating to him I'd be interested to hear more (or maybe an article or two to read, if you can find them?), but the A-League was always going to have teething problems. I'm more impressed/interested with/in his work with individual clubs than I am worried about his tenure as league head from what I know of him.

The Lions have knocked back suggestions from the AFL for a CEO.....can't help thinking this go it alone attitude of our Board could be why we are in trouble in the first place.

Too independent/stubborn to be guided by the AFL and those that know about these things, particularly when in a market place where we are struggling for recognision

I'm sensing a "We know better" attitude, when in fact they really know bugger all in the scheme of things.

Could very well miss out altogether doing things their way.

Not impressed......and all this on top of the Springfield debacle.

What an incompetent/dodgy lot of people we have running our club.:thumbsdown:

Last edited:
The Lions have knocked back suggestions from the AFL for a CEO.....can't help thinking this go it alone attitude of our Board could be why we are in trouble in the first place.

Too independent/stubborn to be guided by the AFL and those that know about these things, particularly when in a market place where we are struggling for recognision

I'm sensing a "We know better" attitude, when in fact they really know bugger all in the scheme of things.

Not impressed at all.
Well considering our current chairman and board were imposed on the club through AFL interference, I'm not surprised that they realise that the AFL doesn't always know best.

Also I think advertising the position just means the club wants to look at the widest range of candidates for the job which doesn't seem like a bad thing. Despite what Hammo says, I'm sure the names that the AFL offered as candidates will also be looked at closely.

Terrible timing with the Pisasale/Springfield affair. Which highly regarded, in demand CEO wants to come and work with/for our chairman while he's stinking it up in CMC referred Ipswich dealings? Hmmm, a club on the up at GC, or stink town with shit facilities and dodgy directors?

Not impressed......and all this on top of the Springfield debacle.

What an incompetent/dodgy lot of people we have running our club.:thumbsdown:

Echoing my sentiments entirely MacMum, we need to have faith in the system though, that someone decent will be appointed. And If not, sit back and watch the mutiny afterwards - the media seem to be making it a bit of a "circus" at the moment too and have had "Swanny" in the position before he resigned. Surely if Swann wasn't interested he would have come out in the media and said categorically "no way" to the Brisbane Lions and removed himself from all discussions. But that hasn't happened - to my knowledge. So this supporter of the BLions has her fingers, toes and anything else crossed that she can for a high quality candidate and a quick announcement of an appointment - (before i loose all feeling in my body).......

Keep calm people, the new CEO will swann in at some stage.

You have seemed to have had a bit on this for awhile. Any chance he will end up with the Suns instead?

TBH Swann still strikes me as a fixer, and going on his past, Lions are a better suit than the Suns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back