Gillon McLachlan's meeting with the Lions and the end of Holmes

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Lions have knocked back suggestions from the AFL for a CEO.....can't help thinking this go it alone attitude of our Board could be why we are in trouble in the first place.

Too independent/stubborn to be guided by the AFL and those that know about these things, particularly when in a market place where we are struggling for recognision

I still think the "Lions are carrying out their own independent process" thing is largely an act that the AFL are happy to play along with. It is better PR on some levels than admitting the AFL has taken the wheel.

Whoever we appoint will be firmly AFL backed.

Didn't Steele Tallon say somewhere that the "AFL candidates" were firmly in the picture in terms of the search for a CEO?
I do recall that. Started going through his Twitter feed but it's a labour I don't have time for.

It might have been on TLR's Facebook feed.
Looked there as well. :) Hate Twitter's UI at best of times. Historically it's horrible. Work seemed much more urgent. o_O

Steele Tallon

Hi guys, Don't buy the spin being put on things by the Courier-Mail today. The advert in today's Australian is to ensure we give all those keen to apply for the CEO position an opportunity to do so - it certainly doesn't mean we have ruled out or ignored any of the names already on the list.

Sorry, don't know how to link to a Facebook comment.

Sorry, don't know how to link to a Facebook comment.

And that is a very sensible and measured response from the club.

EDIT: From Steele, I should say. Not an official response from the club as far as I can tell.

It has been said many times, it will be said many more times: Hamilton has a long and ignoble history of blithely mixing facts with opinion in a way that deliberately gives false impressions. He's not the only journalist who does this but he does it with more impunity than most.

You have seemed to have had a bit on this for awhile. Any chance he will end up with the Suns instead?

TBH Swann still strikes me as a fixer, and going on his past, Lions are a better suit than the Suns.

Auld will not leave the Suns - not before the glory days - smoke and mirrors my firiends, smoke and mirrors of which Hammo is just a pawn in the game. Swann is it as far as my mail is concerned and whilse some of my mail men are drying up (I obviously don't get much of Kenny Hinkley anymore) - my mole @ AFL House still has his finger on the pulse and he is categoric - Swann was tapped up for our role prior to the exit of Mal Holmes.

I will be very surprised if he does not end up in the chair. Corollary evidence from other posters would suggest I am not too wrong. Family will not move until next year and he will be a FIFO CEO until then.

Auld will not leave the Suns - not before the glory days - smoke and mirrors my firiends, smoke and mirrors of which Hammo is just a pawn in the game. Swann is it as far as my mail is concerned and whilse some of my mail men are drying up (I obviously don't get much of Kenny Hinkley anymore) - my mole @ AFL House still has his finger on the pulse and he is categoric - Swann was tapped up for our role prior to the exit of Mal Holmes.

I will be very surprised if he does not end up in the chair. Corollary evidence from other posters would suggest I am not too wrong. Family will not move until next year and he will be a FIFO CEO until then.

Wow, that's quite detailed WRB.

On the FIFO thing, it's probably not a bad arrangement if your view is that right now a lot of our most important stakeholders, including potential future staff members, are in Victoria.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah no concerns at all with FIFO short term arrangements. They have the internet on computers nowadays.
Not sure I'm that comfortable with it.

The grapevine tells me Swann has a history of going hard in the first 6 months.

Suspect significant restructuring and personnel changes are in order. That's difficult to manage remotely, and FIFO is taxing.

Thanks for that clarification. There is just too much coincidence with Swann for him not to be our guy, timing of everthing just works. Ive said previously on here, there is no rush with him, he wont change much for this year, its all about 2015, so FIFO would be fine for the rest of this year, might actually help having him close to AFL house.

And again, he seems to enjoy rebuilding broken things. If so he has come to the right place.

Thanks for that clarification. There is just too much coincidence with Swann for him not to be our guy, timing of everthing just works. Ive said previously on here, there is no rush with him, he wont change much for this year, its all about 2015, so FIFO would be fine for the rest of this year, might actually help having him close to AFL house.

And again, he seems to enjoy rebuilding broken things. If so he has come to the right place.

FWIW, Lyall Gorman also resigned from Western Sydney Wanderers in the past week also.

Not sure I'm that comfortable with it.

The grapevine tells me Swann has a history of going hard in the first 6 months.

Suspect significant restructuring and personnel changes are in order. That's difficult to manage remotely, and FIFO is taxing.

Fair points, Bob.

FWIW, Lyall Gorman also resigned from Western Sydney Wanderers in the past week also.
One of either to Suns, one to us I'd say. western royboy seems pretty confident that Swann is coming this way and as someone pointed out we are the renovator's dream at the moment that suits Swann's skillset, so I'm leaning that way.

I actually see a strong Suns as a benefit to us in the long run as it can only build footy here in Queensland. Which means it is a more attractive prospect for future players over other codes or sports. SO Gorman to them will be fine if Auld goes (which seems 50/50).

I actually see a strong Suns as a benefit to us in the long run as it can only build footy here in Queensland. Which means it is a more attractive prospect for future players over other codes or sports. SO Gorman to them will be fine if Auld goes (which seems 50/50).

Agree.

If both clubs were competitive or, heaven forbid, met in the finals, it would be pretty exciting and good for the code to have two full membership bases within driving distance of a stadium.

At the moment though, while we're a little way behind them, I can't shake my resentment of the gifts the AFL gave them.

One of either to Suns, one to us I'd say. western royboy seems pretty confident that Swann is coming this way and as someone pointed out we are the renovator's dream at the moment that suits Swann's skillset, so I'm leaning that way.

Gorman is on the board for Carlton also according to News Ltd.

http://m.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl...-embattled-lions/story-fni5f4q3-1226961735332

Former Collingwood and Carlton chief executive Greg Swann on song to take the helm of embattled Lions

FORMER Collingwood and Carlton boss Greg Swann is the clear frontrunner for the vacant Brisbane CEO post and could be in the hot seat at the Gabba by the end of July.

Swann heads a shortlist of four candidates who will present their vision for the club to the Lions board in the coming weeks.

A final decision on the replacement for Malcolm Holmes is expected in a month and The Courier-Mail understands the job is essentially Swann’s to lose.

Swann looks a certainty and i agree largely with previous posts that this is all just a show designed to make us think that the club still has control over the appointment.

I've edited the above post because you can't quote entire articles here.

It's also worth taking into consideration that the Courier Mail "understands" that it's Swann's job to lose. Not to denigrate the high ethical standards of that great newspaper, but I wouldn't necessarily assume that they are on the money since they give no evidence to back up their claim.

Bob Sharpless having anything to do with the selection fills me with no confidence whatsoever that the club will get this appointment or any other decision right, such is the lack of faith I have with any decision maker at the club.

I've edited the above post because you can't quote entire articles here.

It's also worth taking into consideration that the Courier Mail "understands" that it's Swann's job to lose. Not to denigrate the high ethical standards of that great newspaper, but I wouldn't necessarily assume that they are on the money since they give no evidence to back up their claim.

It would have been remiss of you to denigrate their high ethical standards. Greg Davis is also to be congratulated for having learnt the "understood/understand" style of journalism as pioneered by said newspaper.

No sources to back it up, but probably a correct assumption, even if it is the wrong way to do sports reporting. I think Swann has been groomed for this position, and him becoming free is what triggered Holmes out the door. I dont think the interview process is for show, we would be silly to not have a look around outside of Swann, but as they suggest, I think he is the AFL backed default option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back