Gillon McLachlan's meeting with the Lions and the end of Holmes

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've edited the above post because you can't quote entire articles here.

It's also worth taking into consideration that the Courier Mail "understands" that it's Swann's job to lose. Not to denigrate the high ethical standards of that great newspaper, but I wouldn't necessarily assume that they are on the money since they give no evidence to back up their claim.

Sorry mate, i wasn't aware of that rule.
Yeah, any News Ltd paper is just sensationalist tripe and this is really no different. That being said, the only news i keep hearing about this always has Swann's name attached to it, i would still say there is a good chance that he's our man

Rumours are you guys are into Steven Trigg? Surely you guys aren't that desperate?

Yeah Rucci tried to start that rumour a month ago. It went nowhere.

Sorry, I think you're stuck with him.

If that is true that Lethal is in favour of Swann, the job is as good as his. Surely the club (and AFL) will go with his decision. TBH Swann's only knock is that he has been at and rebuilt big clubs, not small frontier clubs. But I think paired with Lethal's knowledge of the brisbane market he will do well.

If that is true that Lethal is in favour of Swann, the job is as good as his. Surely the club (and AFL) will go with his decision. TBH Swann's only knock is that he has been at and rebuilt big clubs, not small frontier clubs. But I think paired with Lethal's knowledge of the brisbane market he will do well.
OTL

OK, I'm getting old & can't figure what OTL means.
I've come up with- Overland Telegraph Line, Old Timers List, Out To Lunch, Oh them Lollies, but none of those seem to fit. ???

I think in this context it means Over The Line ie done and dusted, already there, put the house on it, a lock, done deal etc

Especially with Lethal as chairman.

In a perfect world, on a perfect day, on the best week in Brisbane Lions history, I could only dream that we could one day announce Brian Cook as CEO.

I know he's bloody happy in Geelong, but as a man that built West Coast and then essentially helped save Geelong after they were millions in debt, the Lions frontier would be an entirely new challene for him and an opportunity for him to essentially build/rebuild a 3rd club.

I'm iffy on Swann to be honest. The longer its taking to find the CEO, the more I thinking he really doesn't find the Brisbane option substainable or remotely savable.

Personally, I'd drop in the AFL's Depute CEO and quickly see how he handles club pressure

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In a perfect world, on a perfect day, on the best week in Brisbane Lions history, I could only dream that we could one day announce Brian Cook as CEO.

I know he's bloody happy in Geelong, but as a man that built West Coast and then essentially helped save Geelong after they were millions in debt, the Lions frontier would be an entirely new challene for him and an opportunity for him to essentially build/rebuild a 3rd club.

I'm iffy on Swann to be honest. The longer its taking to find the CEO, the more I thinking he really doesn't find the Brisbane option substainable or remotely savable.

Personally, I'd drop in the AFL's Depute CEO and quickly see how he handles club pressure

Brian Cook is the answer to every AFL CEO problem - we can only wish.

He's a great bloke - very genuine and operates on a very simple methodology.

He is quite well known in the town as well. That is the beautiful thing about that town. Its large enough to be a city, small enough to be a community and blissfully is a one-code town!

Nice cafes by the water too!

I

He only finished up at Carlton last Friday, then he had committed to a few weeks holiday with his wife.I wouldn't read it as a sign he isn't keen.

Cook is the dream candidate, but with an emphasis on the dream. :(

No matter who gets the gig- first priority, $$$$$$$$.

Will solve most of our problems.

Along with the remedies suggested in TLR's analysis in yesterday's The Age.

No matter who gets the gig- first priority, $$$$$$$$.

Will solve most of our problems.
I disagree that money will solve most of our problems. The club was flush through the premiership years and yet still lost players. We will never again receive an influx of merger players that papered over the 'go home factor' then (through the sheer volume of resultant draft picks in concert with the numerous picks we received from being cellar dwellers). Further, the free agency culture means we'll never truly be able to re-build again because a reasonable proportion of the kids will continually opt out, leaving us constantly behind those clubs who keep their talent (and gain ours for bugger-all).

Money will only go so far to get us back on our feet. The issue is systemic, so it needs to be addressed by the League. As others have said, it is vital our next CEO is able to effectively lobby AFL House.

I disagree that money will solve most of our problems. The club was flush through the premiership years and yet still lost players. We will never again receive an influx of merger players that papered over the 'go home factor' then (through the sheer volume of resultant draft picks in concert with the numerous picks we received from being cellar dwellers). Further, the free agency culture means we'll never truly be able to re-build again because a reasonable proportion of the kids will continually opt out, leaving us constantly behind those clubs who keep their talent (and gain ours for bugger-all).

Money will only go so far to get us back on our feet. The issue is systemic, so it needs to be addressed by the League. As others have said, it is vital our next CEO is able to effectively lobby AFL House.

I think it will solve a lot of them, not all, but many :cool:

Quality coaches
Quality development staff
Quality support staff
Quality training venue

The above would improve our team / club. The attendances and the membership would increase with a rise up the ladder, same for corporate and sponsorship.

We'll always lose players to "football states", but giving them less reasons to leave is what we must do ASAP :thumbsu:

Money will help as long as the right people do the right things with it. If we can get the club run well and stable off field, making a profit and able to provide decent services and facilities to the playing group it will help a lot. It will improve player retention, but not majorly. That is a different problem.

The other side of it is someone who is a known name like Swann, will get media attention. Probably still not up here, but if he makes noise, the melb media will cover it, and it will help to keep pressure on the AFL with issues. Same with having someone like Lethal speaking up on things. They have a profile in the sport that is bigger than the club itself. Because of the lack of attention we get in the media up here, having some bigger profiles publicly talking about things would help raise our profile as a club I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back