Gippsland Cricket Thread Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sale City have a good junior structure, in fact they may have the best numbers amongst all clubs(I don't know the ins and outs of SMCA juniors) yet, they are not represented in the 1sts and have lost numerous players to factors out of their control. Unfortunately, you can't always control every factor of a person's life.

Sale City juniors are now very strong and well ran. This has only happened over the past couple of seasons and this is the reason why there are not many good 25-30yo old cricketers at the club but may have(?) one of the strongest batch of 17-20y in the whole comp. They made some tough decsions a few years ago for that they hope will have long term results rather than short term results.
1 - change of name and colors to match the footy sides.
2- playing and sticking with the young players before high price recuits, like in the past.
3- having one of the strongest social clubs in the league that accomidates players and girls.
4- Strong links between juniors and seniors.
5 - having there club associated with other cricket programs, all access, milo and womens cricket.
6- having a young commitee that have a hands on approach.

Sure they still have alot of work to do but there is no doubt they are trying to get things right.

Sale City juniors are now very strong and well ran. This has only happened over the past couple of seasons and this is the reason why there are not many good 25-30yo old cricketers at the club but may have(?) one of the strongest batch of 17-20y in the whole comp. They made some tough decsions a few years ago for that they hope will have long term results rather than short term results.
1 - change of name and colors to match the footy sides.
2- playing and sticking with the young players before high price recuits, like in the past.
3- having one of the strongest social clubs in the league that accomidates players and girls.
4- Strong links between juniors and seniors.
5 - having there club associated with other cricket programs, all access, milo and womens cricket.
6- having a young commitee that have a hands on approach.

Sure they still have alot of work to do but there is no doubt they are trying to get things right.

Warragul introduced 8 teams per division a few years ago with a promotion/relegation system. Seems to work pretty well. Does SMCA have promotion/relegation and if not how does a club like Sale City ever get into the top grade?

WGCA did the same this year with 8 teams in each division. 7 one day and 7 two day games. Its worked really well, more competitive cricket in all grades and most games towards the end of the season are still important weather it be for finals or relegation.

Warragul introduced 8 teams per division a few years ago with a promotion/relegation system. Seems to work pretty well. Does SMCA have promotion/relegation and if not how does a club like Sale City ever get into the top grade?

WGCA did the same this year with 8 teams in each division. 7 one day and 7 two day games. Its worked really well, more competitive cricket in all grades and most games towards the end of the season are still important weather it be for finals or relegation.

No promotion/relegation, as the sides in the second grade are mainly represented by sides in the first grade. Sale City would need to basically mount a case and put it to the league at the AGM to be promoted.

Just out of interest - what's the ratio of 2 day to 1 day games in SMCA/WGCA.

The TDCA is an 11 team/13 Round Competition, made up of,

1st 3 rounds are 1 dayers
Next 4 rounds are 2 dayers
Next 2 rouns are 1 dayers
Last 4 rounds are 2 dayers

Personally i'd love it to become a 1 day competition, as i, like most in their mid 30's, struggle to cope with an 80 over game. Good chance that next year will be my last, unless it becomes a 1 day comp. At the very least, our B Grade should become a 1 day comp, as the standard has become absolutely deplorable, with most sides only capable of batting 45 overs anyway.

I agree that numbers would increase, at our Club anyway, if it was a 1 day comp. Absolutely no chance of it happening anytime soon in the TDCA however.

WGCA use to be 12 teams in every grade with 11 games a year - 10 2 dayers and 1 1 dayer, now it has been restructured to 8 teams in every grade with 7 one dayers and 7 2 dayers.

Good thing is that every game still means something, eg none of this 8th playing 10th or 7th playing 9th at the end of the year when they both cant be relegated or make finals

Interesting scores in the College vs Stratford match from the weekend. Stratford all out for 27. Can anybody provide some more specific details about the game?

Mainly just wondering how the pitch was playing considering all the wickets falling in the second innings. Was it just good bowling from both sides or poor batting? Are the catholics still the team to beat in the finals?

From reports from the Stratty boys, the wicket was fine, just poor batting. I guess there was very little to play for as far as Stratty were concerned, as they were going to finish 3rd as soon as the first innings points were secured. College then had the hurt of last year's tied grand final, and were desperate to finish top rather than second.

However, I understand, 27 is still a drastically low score. And, College's chase did nothing to suggest that the wicket was great, however, the Stratty boys assure me that it was fine.

I would say there is no single outstanding team to beat. They are all team's to beat. Bundy have probably been the most consistent all year. College have shown their bowling abilities by bowling out a finals contender for 27. Maffra are the reigning premiers, and still have a potent batting line up, and Stratty bowled College out for 80 last weekend without their leading wicket taker for the year. I'd say it is going to be a fantastic finals series, and whoever wins the flag will have probably played some great cricket along the way.

Any ideas where the SMCA grand final is played??

I ask this as Bundy have chosen to play there semi final against Stratford at Sale (according to the paper) I would believe this to be a smart move on there behalf as there could be a chance of the Grand Final being there. But if it is not, playing at your home ground often means a higher advantage of winning.

Any ideas where the SMCA grand final is played??

I ask this as Bundy have chosen to play there semi final against Stratford at Sale (according to the paper) I would believe this to be a smart move on there behalf as there could be a chance of the Grand Final being there. But if it is not, playing at your home ground often means a higher advantage of winning.

No final decision made yet, although I would think it is more than likely it will be at Sale.

Very strange decision by Bundy to play at Sale this weekend. I would have thought that favours Stratford massively, not sure what advantage they see they get from playing it away from home.

Whilst we are on the subject of Bundy, interesting to note the bet which someone made on Bigfooty with Nugget about how Mark Trethowan would make more runs than him. Well, Nugget has made 75 runs more than Trethowan for the year. I believe someone owes Nugget a slab.

The first thing I heard when I walked out to bat against Bundy in Round 3 or 4 (whilst still playing with Stratty) was, "good luck with your bet about making more runs than Trethowan this year (despite the fact it had nothing to do with me), he's on track to get more runs than you and Nugget put together". I guess the 27 and 37 that he made in Rounds 1 and 2 must have been impressive for a big call to be made at that stage. Well, Nugget has 250, I got 215, Trethowan got 175 with a top score of 37. I guess the pressure of getting paid has got to him, cos, from all reports on here, he was the best player in the SMCA and should have been batting at 3 in the GCL side. Good luck to him on the weekend, I hope he gets the 290 that he needs to go in front of Nugget and myself combined and proves all the local cricketing experts right! Be interesting to see him strategically tear apart Jie Van Berkel, if he can get through Jack, Gill and the boys that will bowl early!

Is he really getting paid? You would want a refund if your paid players make that many for a season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He (Mark Trethowan) is an assistant coach i believe not sure if he is getting paid, but who knows he might be doing work with the team on training etc. The bundy boys love him which is a plus for any team that recruits a new player. If Bundy win the flag and Mark contributes then no one will care.

Even though he hasn't made many runs I was impressed at how well he struck the ball and made a well compiled 30 last time in which him and mainly mark grosveld got the runs to beat us.

Gee I remember when I was coaching at stratford and two of those years i made about 150 runs. No one complains as long as you are showing the right commitment and contributing in other ways, I was employed to do a job more off the field then on the field and at one stage got dropped.

Mark would be dissapointed with his year to date and would want to finish his season well. Having said that i hope he makes a duck this week and we can bowl out bundy cheaply.

Read below looks like some people owe some money and Stuart Anderson is going to bare his bum in sale, this is all good natured fun haha. Also some team of the year predictions that were made earlier

PORKCHOPWAYNE
BigFooty Apprentice

North Melbourne

No Mayhem, not I. I think it is Anthony Hurley (better watch what you say) As for that $100 Warrior has with Nuggy about who will make the most runs out of him and Trethers. I want a piece of that please, put me down for a $100 and double it for Trethers to make more than Nuggy and Mayhem combined.

PORKCHOPWAYNE
BigFooty Apprentice

North Melbourne

Without sounding like a broken record....BUT if Mark Trethowen is not good enough to be in the squads above I will bare my ass in Raymond St. You might not believe me but he is a GCL, Country Week standard player and way ahead of some of the players mentioned above in both squads.

Technically Mark hasn't been included in any squads, not sure if it is an availablity issue or not. But a comment is still a comment

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showpost.php?p=15798503&postcount=46

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showpost.php?p=15797451&postcount=40

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showpost.php?p=15353475&postcount=711

I was speaking to trethers about a week ago about his year with bundy and all the hooha which has been spoken about him on this site.
He is very disapointed with his own performances this year and wished he could have done a lot more to show his worth. He also said he couldnt understand why everytime he went out to bat everyone commented on how much money he was getting when he wasnt getting paid as a player.
In regards to this site all he said was that he had no hard feelings towards nugget at all but said he wasnt sure how mayman could get himself up out of bed everyday knowing he has to go out and be the w***er he is.
In our whole conversation not once did he use any excuses for his year and did not mention once that he was suffereing from ross river for 3 months of the year which resulted in missing training for most of the year and missing games against rosedale and wurruk.

I was speaking to trethers about a week ago about his year with bundy and all the hooha which has been spoken about him on this site.
He is very disapointed with his own performances this year and wished he could have done a lot more to show his worth. He also said he couldnt understand why everytime he went out to bat everyone commented on how much money he was getting when he wasnt getting paid as a player.
In regards to this site all he said was that he had no hard feelings towards nugget at all but said he wasnt sure how mayman could get himself up out of bed everyday knowing he has to go out and be the w***er he is.
In our whole conversation not once did he use any excuses for his year and did not mention once that he was suffereing from ross river for 3 months of the year which resulted in missing training for most of the year and missing games against rosedale and wurruk.

Hahaha. Classic comment. I have never had anything to do with Mark Trethowan personally, hence, I will not, as I have not in the past, comment on the man personally, nor will I in the future. I don't know him at all, nor does he know me, so I won't cast dispersions about what he does or doesn't do with his hands when he is on his own or his ability to remove himself from his bed once he has finished sleeping.

I guess when you are getting paid (I don't care whether it is as a player or coach), there would be pressures that go along with that, and having it constantly mentioned when you are batting would probably be a distraction. I dare say that the boys from College will be giving it a fair work over on the weekend. Will be interesting to get along and have a watch when the passionate Collegians are bowling to Mark. Hopefully he does well and stays out there for a bit longer than he did on Saturday, as it will only add to what should be an interesting grand final.

At the end of the day, for all I know Shinboner4life has never met Mark Trethowan so I won't hold that "w***er" comment against Mark, as he may have never made it. Whenver I have spoken to Mark directly, which is probably only about 5 times in my life, he has never been rude to me, so I am not going to go behind his back and call him names on the internet as I think that is rather childish, and pretty pointless, if I don't like someone, I just won't talk to them when I see them. However, I'm happy to make comment on what he does on the cricket field, as with any other player, and if he isn't happy about that, then, I don't apologise.

A discussion started about Mark's ability with the bat, which is all that I have commented on at any point, I stand by the comments I made. I don't think he plays spin fantastically, and I didn't think he would make a lot of runs this season. I also stated that I didn't think he should be picked in the GCL side. I haven't seen him face a spin bowler this season, so, I don't know whether or not I was right or wrong there, but, I have looked at his stats and he hasn't made a lot of runs. For some reason, because I commented on it, people compared him to me and said he would make more runs than me. Now, that isn't a massive endorsement for the man, as I am a very average, possible even below average player. Now, as previously stated, Mark may or may not have made a comment about whether or not I am a w***er. Mark's opinion of me, and the opinions of others who read this forum of me, matter absolutely nothing to me. That is not having a shot at Mark, or those people, but, as stated above, I don't know Mark, and if a stranger thinks I am a w***er, I couldn't care less.

Due to the fact that Mark apparently thinks I am a w***er, I am guessing this opinion is formed because of the fact I commented on his cricketing ability and performance and unfortunately for Mark, or whoever it is that has taken offence to this, I will continue to comment on the performances of players within the league regardless of whether they like it or not. And, for the record, when Mark Trethowan makes a hundred against Sale next year, or in the years to come, I will be the first person to get on here and write, gee he batted well, and smashed us everywhere. Unfortunately, this year he hasn't been able to post any performances worthy of to much positive comment so I have not been proved wrong in my analysis of him.

I'm expecting a reply which points out that had a poor year at cricket myself, which goes without saying, however, that is not what this is about, so, if you are going to write that, please take into account that at no stage have I ever said I was better than Mark Trethowan, nor do I believe that. And, to save you the hassle, I am aware that I am no good at cricket, however, this does not affect my knowledge of local cricket, nor my ability to have an opinion on local players.

Opinions on who will win out of College and Bundy on Saturday/Sunday this weekend?

I think that College will win, however, people seem to have underestimated Bundy all season, and I would not be surprised in the least if they take out the GF.

Let's just hope for all the spectators concerned that the game is still in the balance later than the 10th over on the second day, unlike both of the semi finals.

Congrats to the Bundy boys on the grand final win and to Kingy on a great career. What better way to finish up.

The season is only a couple of days over and allready the rumours have started about players having fall outs with clubs, people changing clubs etc, Will be interesting to see what happens during the off season in terms of player movement.

Congrats to the Bundy boys on the grand final win and to Kingy on a great career. What better way to finish up.

The season is only a couple of days over and allready the rumours have started about players having fall outs with clubs, people changing clubs etc, Will be interesting to see what happens during the off season in terms of player movement.

Yeah, well done to Bundy. Most consistent side of the year, and taking out the one day final and the grand final proper is a great effort.

Interested to hear the rumors about fall outs??? I have heard one rumor going around which I am 99% sure is rubbish.

Ellinbank Cricket Club has applications out for senior coach and division 1 captain. Premiers div 2 09/10 looking for the right person for us too play finals next year.
All applications to President Rick Gray 51 Hawkey rd Drouin 3818 or PM normsmith.
Applications close 30 April.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back