Gippsland Cricket Thread Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
SMCAs right in the middle of an intresting season. Lets have some predicitions now that we have played a few games.

Batting - Anderson, hitting the ball the best he has in many a season. always gets n/o. We have a deal that if he is still in when i walk out to bat at 11 i must go out to assist him and he gives me a couple of overs the next weel. haha!

Bowling - Anderson, won 4 of them with 2 runners-up. Never gets hit for runs and always takes a couple of wickets.

Cricketer of the year - Hard to say Anderson won't but i actually think the big dirty C**k will. Kingy is doing wonders for the Rangers.

Premiers - ??????? anyone could that makes the semi's very very even. Maffra by a pinch.

End of season headline - "Sale City back in A grade"

Umpire of the year - Neil Purdy. Lost some weight and umpiring very well.

Most improved - a toss up from Mark Donald and Cameron from Maffra.

Biggest disappointment - Ryan Ingram only available for a couple of games for the whole year.

Team of the year so far.

Batsmen -Ian Wrigglesworth (wurruk) 279 runs @ 55.8
Batsmen -Brett Lanigan (maffra) 256 @ 64
Batsmen -Toby Leeds (boisdale briagolong) 242 @ 34.57
Batsmen -Jack Tatterson (stratford) 240 @ 40
Batsmen -Ryan Ingram (college) 198 @ 99
Batsmen -Thomas Tudor (bundalaguah) 192 @ 64
Bowler -Luke Klasen (sale) 23 wickets @ 10.70
Bowler -Ben Durrant (maffra) 17 @ 15.47
Bowler -Thomas Love (maffra) 17 @ 11.12
Bowling All Rounder (5th in batting 4th in bowling) Stuart Anderson (college) 16 wickets @ 8.06 210 runs @ 70
Wicket Keeper - Ray Allred 16 dismissals

In my opinion i think a couple of changes will happen Ray Allred probably won't play many games so in theory won't be adding to many dismissals as the impending return of Justin Mckay will oprobably mean that he misses a game, so with Jie back at Stratford it looks like that the race for the keeper postion will be between myself (13 dismissals) and Nathan Massey (9 dismissals).

Jie Van Berkel is a chance to snare one of the spots in the bowling maybe Tom Loves. Steve Parry will get in as a batsmen (or bowler if klasen stops taking 5 fors) probably at the expense of Ryan Ingram (if Hendos info turns out to be correct). Adrian Burgiel will probably replace any one of Leeds, Jack or Tommmy Tudor. And the last position will be a toss up in the batting as a few players are vying for it ( King, Pete Roberts) i expect players like Matt Foster and Chris Aurisch to push hard too.

My opinions on

Batting - toss up between Ian or Stuart, don't discount Burgiel though.

Bowling - Anderson, won 4 of them with 2 runners-up. Never gets hit for runs and always takes a couple of wickets. Agree

Cricketer of the year - Hard to say Anderson won't but i actually think the big dirty C**k will. Kingy is doing wonders for the Rangers. Steve Parry

Premiers - Throwing it out here but i believe if Parry plays whole year Sale, very balanced side with bat and ball...College, Maffra and Bundy are all looking good though and potentially any four of these teams can win.

End of season headline - "Maffra disgusted as college wins tied grand final and sings song on ground" LOL

Umpire of the year - Col Gieschen knows what he is doing and stands by everything he does, i like honesty.

Most improved - A few names Mark Donald, Kris Morrison, Brad Scott and Toby Leeds.

Biggest disappointment -
So far Stratford promised big but has delivered nothing as of yet.
No calendonia???
The failure of the league (hopefully next year) to make the one day games better with white balls, fielding restrictions etc

Don't know if mckay would play that many games and I'd say Ray would play the rest of the season as Carmody is in and out due to work and you would think Ray should play ahead of del busso and Hepworth.

Is the keeping spot purely based on dismissals? I don't mean to offend Ray here but if klasen and co keep finding the edges and he makes team of the year with say 22 dismissals and he makes 80 runs for the year and then you have guys like nugget and Massey that might get 18/20 dismissals but make 300/350 runs and they miss out it would seem strange.

Don't know if mckay would play that many games and I'd say Ray would play the rest of the season as Carmody is in and out due to work and you would think Ray should play ahead of del busso and Hepworth.

Is the keeping spot purely based on dismissals? I don't mean to offend Ray here but if klasen and co keep finding the edges and he makes team of the year with say 22 dismissals and he makes 80 runs for the year and then you have guys like nugget and Massey that might get 18/20 dismissals but make 300/350 runs and they miss out it would seem strange.

Keeping spot in team of the year based purely on dismissals. Razor Ray should be captain coach of the GCL squadron, he is hot!

Why???

Seriously what are you doing??

You're not contributing anything to these forums by bagging/baiting people!!

Back to SMCA...tips in bold.

R/K v Bundalaguah outright
Maffra v College
Sale v Wurruk outright
B/B v Stratford

Interesting prediction with us beating Wurruk outright. I would think that hopefully we should beat Wurruk, however, they probably don't have too many issues batting long periods of time, the main issue appears to be that they seem to concede a lot of runs, and also don't have too many run scoring players outside of Ian. The other obvious one is Al Campbell, who has had a slow start to the year, however, having seen his ability, he will make a big score before too long. Will be very interesting to see how the game plays out, and I would love for you to be right gus!!

good to see your predictions come true with the big bone head making 107. Also good to see your swap at Stratty scoring 144. In 2 games he has scored more than you in 1.5 years. As you have always said you only had Stratty's best interests at heart. Well done to our boy Steve making his 3rd 100 for the year. Also blossomed since leaving Sale.

Team of the year so far.

Batsmen -Ian Wrigglesworth (wurruk) 279 runs @ 55.8
Batsmen -Brett Lanigan (maffra) 256 @ 64
Batsmen -Toby Leeds (boisdale briagolong) 242 @ 34.57
Batsmen -Jack Tatterson (stratford) 240 @ 40
Batsmen -Ryan Ingram (college) 198 @ 99
Batsmen -Thomas Tudor (bundalaguah) 192 @ 64
Bowler -Luke Klasen (sale) 23 wickets @ 10.70
Bowler -Ben Durrant (maffra) 17 @ 15.47
Bowler -Thomas Love (maffra) 17 @ 11.12
Bowling All Rounder (5th in batting 4th in bowling) Stuart Anderson (college) 16 wickets @ 8.06 210 runs @ 70
Wicket Keeper - Ray Allred 16 dismissals

In my opinion i think a couple of changes will happen Ray Allred probably won't play many games so in theory won't be adding to many dismissals as the impending return of Justin Mckay will oprobably mean that he misses a game, so with Jie back at Stratford it looks like that the race for the keeper postion will be between myself (13 dismissals) and Nathan Massey (9 dismissals).

Jie Van Berkel is a chance to snare one of the spots in the bowling maybe Tom Loves. Steve Parry will get in as a batsmen (or bowler if klasen stops taking 5 fors) probably at the expense of Ryan Ingram (if Hendos info turns out to be correct). Adrian Burgiel will probably replace any one of Leeds, Jack or Tommmy Tudor. And the last position will be a toss up in the batting as a few players are vying for it ( King, Pete Roberts) i expect players like Matt Foster and Chris Aurisch to push hard too.

My opinions on

Batting - toss up between Ian or Stuart, don't discount Burgiel though.

Bowling - Anderson, won 4 of them with 2 runners-up. Never gets hit for runs and always takes a couple of wickets. Agree

Cricketer of the year - Hard to say Anderson won't but i actually think the big dirty C**k will. Kingy is doing wonders for the Rangers. Steve Parry

Premiers - Throwing it out here but i believe if Parry plays whole year Sale, very balanced side with bat and ball...College, Maffra and Bundy are all looking good though and potentially any four of these teams can win.

End of season headline - "Maffra disgusted as college wins tied grand final and sings song on ground" LOL

Umpire of the year - Col Gieschen knows what he is doing and stands by everything he does, i like honesty.

Most improved - A few names Mark Donald, Kris Morrison, Brad Scott and Toby Leeds.

Biggest disappointment -
So far Stratford promised big but has delivered nothing as of yet.
No calendonia???
The failure of the league (hopefully next year) to make the one day games better with white balls, fielding restrictions etc

Why no Caledonia this year????????????

I'll help with what ever needs to be done. I know of many people that were keen to go this year. The league should have the 2 sides down there. 2-3 players every year seem to step up into the main side the following year. If it is just that Perds is to busy to organise let me know. If is money i may be able to get work to assist.

good to see your predictions come true with the big bone head making 107. Also good to see your swap at Stratty scoring 144. In 2 games he has scored more than you in 1.5 years. As you have always said you only had Stratty's best interests at heart. Well done to our boy Steve making his 3rd 100 for the year. Also blossomed since leaving Sale.

Who is this Steve character that you speak of? Must be a solid head down hard working batsman that doesn't like to drink alcohol if he has made 3 100s in 1 year. I bet he has a really nice car as well!!

Awesome performance from Dave Roberts and Joel Bristow on the weekend. Coming together with Stratty at roughly 6 for 90, they put on roughly 220, to see Stratty finish the day on 320. Roberts got 144 and Joel Bristow, in only probably his 3 - 6th A grade game, got 71 not out. League record partnership for the 7th wicket.

Awesome performance from Dave Roberts and Joel Bristow on the weekend. Coming together with Stratty at roughly 6 for 90, they put on roughly 220, to see Stratty finish the day on 320. Roberts got 144 and Joel Bristow, in only probably his 3 - 6th A grade game, got 71 not out. League record partnership for the 7th wicket.

"Electronic records" seem to indicate 3rd game, that is if a person who played before electronic records can understand them but I have attempted to find out and not just have a stab. If that is the case, to have a league record in your 3rd game is outstanding.

"Sale finished on 1-9, losing Chris Aurisch before stumps in controversial circumstances.
The umpire appeared to shout "no ball'' before Aurisch was bowled by Richard Gleeson, but retracted the call."
Taken from Kevin Hogan's item on Gippsland Times website. Perhaps the not out batsman can shed some light on the incident.
Did the umpire call no-ball? If he did and realised he had made an incorrect call, should he have changed the call to 'Dead Ball' thus allowing the batsman to continue his innings?

"Electronic records" seem to indicate 3rd game, that is if a person who played before electronic records can understand them but I have attempted to find out and not just have a stab. If that is the case, to have a league record in your 3rd game is outstanding.

"Sale finished on 1-9, losing Chris Aurisch before stumps in controversial circumstances.
The umpire appeared to shout "no ball'' before Aurisch was bowled by Richard Gleeson, but retracted the call."
Taken from Kevin Hogan's item on Gippsland Times website. Perhaps the not out batsman can shed some light on the incident.
Did the umpire call no-ball? If he did and realised he had made an incorrect call, should he have changed the call to 'Dead Ball' thus allowing the batsman to continue his innings?

Yeah, he definitely called out the word "ball" fairly clearly. Then, after the ball hit the stumps, he seemed to change his mind. Was quite a strange event, the likes of which I have never seen before. Unfortunate event for Chris and for our chances in the run chase. I would have thought the sensible thing to do would have been to call a "dead ball", as suggested by gone past it, however, in this event common sense did not prevail. Very disappointing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your right Joel Bristow played only his 3rd A grade game on Sat. Bloody good innings tho. I heard its only his 2nd or 3rd game for Stratford this season, he was going to give it away because he didn't get achance, even after winning B grade batting average last year and /or the year before.
He should be playing with Sale tho, in cricket and football. His father Neil was a great Sale player.
What the chance Mayhem?

Yeah, he definitely called out the word "ball" fairly clearly. Then, after the ball hit the stumps, he seemed to change his mind. Was quite a strange event, the likes of which I have never seen before. Unfortunate event for Chris and for our chances in the run chase. I would have thought the sensible thing to do would have been to call a "dead ball", as suggested by gone past it, however, in this event common sense did not prevail. Very disappointing.

What a discrace, and pretty poor form from Wurruk in terms of sportsmanship for allowing it to happen.

Who was the umpire in question, without playing for a couple of years in this league i dont know who still umpires, but im taking a stab in the dark and saying Dick Moulton or Ross Williams, they are muppets, who can destroy games of cricket with baffling decisions

I still remember a game a few years ago against maffra and Joel Churchill ripped through them, he hit a guy on the full on the boot that was as plum as anything which dick gave not out then i think the next ball, the guy was shit up at the top of the pad or thighpad and the ball was sliding down leg, and he gave it out. Very poor umpire

Either we have misread you "gone past it" or your pulling our legs, you may have done a crash course in typing and computer skills!!!

The umpire was Rex Murray, he must take his umpiring seriously if he has the balls/honesty to retract his call.

Neil is Joels uncle...the great Warren "bistrow" is Joels dad. Unlike his father Joel wears batting gloves whilst batting.....

Great partnership as 240 was a "par" score and at 6 for 90 things were looking bad for the Swans. Joel's innings was pretty much the first time he has batted for Stratford in A grade as he played a one dayer where he faced three balls at the end. So to bring out an innings like that was great!!! I am perplexed that Joel hasn't played more in A grade but understand that a few reasons have prevented this (availabilty, lack of motivation created by a lack of oppurtunity and his uncanny technique) he will now play the rest of the year in A grade and will prove many people wrong that had doubts in him..

Dave Roberts.....well he made 144 in a pretty special innings. Backed his talent in and looked to hit nearly every ball, Dave played extremely well. On that small ground with that good wicket, it will always be hard to defend good clean hitting.

Let's hope we roll them next week and do justice to a great fightback!!!

What a discrace, and pretty poor form from Wurruk in terms of sportsmanship for allowing it to happen.

Who was the umpire in question, without playing for a couple of years in this league i dont know who still umpires, but im taking a stab in the dark and saying Dick Moulton or Ross Williams, they are muppets, who can destroy games of cricket with baffling decisions

I still remember a game a few years ago against maffra and Joel Churchill ripped through them, he hit a guy on the full on the boot that was as plum as anything which dick gave not out then i think the next ball, the guy was shit up at the top of the pad or thighpad and the ball was sliding down leg, and he gave it out. Very poor umpire
Gus Mckay accuses me of bagging people (which I have not) but you have no problem doing it even if your information is incorrect. look at results for rd. 6, 2006/07, sale v maffra, i assume that is the game to which you refer, churchill took 4 for 25 but got no lbw's but you have crucified dick

Your right Joel Bristow played only his 3rd A grade game on Sat. Bloody good innings tho. I heard its only his 2nd or 3rd game for Stratford this season, he was going to give it away because he didn't get achance, even after winning B grade batting average last year and /or the year before.
He should be playing with Sale tho, in cricket and football. His father Neil was a great Sale player.
What the chance Mayhem?

I would have thought no chance. And, as mentioned in another post, Neil is not his father, Wocka is.

Gus Mckay accuses me of bagging people (which I have not) but you have no problem doing it even if your information is incorrect. look at results for rd. 6, 2006/07, sale v maffra, i assume that is the game to which you refer, churchill took 4 for 25 but got no lbw's but you have crucified dick

All correct here gone past it. I, as well as yourself, remember this game very clearly, due to another little incident which occured, as well as 2 of the best centuries fantastic centuries which were made. I was at first slip when all this stuff with the LBWs went on. Churchill was on a hat trick, had Nathan Wellins out plum LBW, hitting him on the full in front of middle and off with a ball that was just tailing back in and then the LBW that was given that was probably not out was actually from the other end. To be honest with you, I have no idea who was umpiring at either end.

All correct here gone past it. I, as well as yourself, remember this game very clearly, due to another little incident which occured, as well as 2 of the best centuries fantastic centuries which were made. I was at first slip when all this stuff with the LBWs went on. Churchill was on a hat trick, had Nathan Wellins out plum LBW, hitting him on the full in front of middle and off with a ball that was just tailing back in and then the LBW that was given that was probably not out was actually from the other end. To be honest with you, I have no idea who was umpiring at either end.
i dont as you indicate remember the game but i have now done a crash course in 'electronic records'. Churhills figures v maffra are - 05/06 rd 1 1/18 umpires lambie & prout, 06/07 rd 6 4/25 no umpires recorded, 07/08 rd 1 0/40 umpire geishen. was not hard to work out which game the lynch poster was referring to. please expand on the 'another little incident'

Well looks like my memory isn't that good, I was sure it was off churchys bowling as there was a comment made somthing along the lines of deserving a wicket.

In the case of the umpiring call on the weekend, what would have happened if he didn't call a no ball and then after the batsmen was bowled then call it a no ball the fielding side would be angry. It's like giving an lbw out and then changing your mind.

My gripe with the umpiring and dick moulton in particular is because for the average player we actually pay to play the game, whilst the umpires get paid, it's frustrating when the same umpires keep making the same mistakes over and over again and never improve, I'd love to have a job where you can rock up and be pretty average and still get paid and keep your job.

I can understand 50 50's and somtimes they go your way others they don't, that's a part of cricket but when it becomes a regular occurance and people joke about keep appealing he will eventually give one it's a joke.

Do the umpires do any training?

I know Jim Cox used to attend trainings and umpire in the nets. Not sure about the others.

I have been thinking about the "no ball" and why didn't the umpire just call it a dead ball, if he thought it was going to be a no ball called it and then realised it wasn't. The ball can be deemed dead as an incorrect decision was made. This way he is admitting his mistake and no one is 'harmed' in the process.

Why no Caledonia this year????????????

I'll help with what ever needs to be done. I know of many people that were keen to go this year. The league should have the 2 sides down there. 2-3 players every year seem to step up into the main side the following year. If it is just that Perds is to busy to organise let me know. If is money i may be able to get work to assist.

Yeah what is the go here any one shed some light??? Is a terrific concept in my opinion and provides younger players with neccesary experience at country week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back