Gold Coast Kangaroos does have a good ring to it

Remove this Banner Ad

You don't think the pecking order has already been set though? It's like suddenly putting a salary cap on the EPL and expecting it to becoming an even competition; the most marketable teams will still be the most marketable simply because of what is already in place.

That's just defeatist garbage. The Bulldogs seem to have marketed themselves OK so far. Because they've got a decent team. A bit like your mob in the mid to late 90's. Except your mob were the best team with arguably the game's greatest every player. What a huge chance to move up the pecking order - but you blew it. Now you want all the other clubs to pay for that? Knock it off.

Only in the eyes of someone who knows they'll never have to worry about their club going under. It's amazing the amount of people who try and judge what North fans are going through when they support an interstate club.

It's called a logical, reasoned debate.

I have no problem with competing with nine other clubs, I just have a problem with being expected to do it unassisted.

Why? Stand on your own 2 feet.

And you're proving my point further. We don't get primetime games,

Yes you do. You have received more than the average number of Friday night matches over the past few years and this year you receive more than the average number of Saturday night matches.
Stop making things up.

we don't get games on FTA. We travel interstate a lot because no one requests to play us in Melbourne like they would a Collingwood or an Essendon. This is all fine, I understand it and the reasons why. Yet we're then supposed to battle it out without any league assistance? How?

No, you travel interstate a lot because your club chooses to play home games interstate. In terms of the number of times a Victorian club plays away interstate, it varies between 4 and 6. Of course, the league average is about 7, of which your club gets a better than average deal, once again.

Yes, your deal may not be as good as Essendon or Collingwood, but there are still 13 other teams besides you that are not Essendon or Collingwood. You shouldn't get handouts just for that.

Your FTA deal is the way it is because of too many Victorian clubs. Get out of Melbourne and it will improve. You'll even get guaranteed FTA coverage of every match in your own market.

People can go on about how we should come up with ways to be more marketable and attract more members, but it stops there. Stop being general and give some logical, feasible suggestions in today's market for the club to pursue, options that they haven't already discussed.

Go on then. All well and good to say what shouldn't be done, how about coming up with some realistic solutions?

The CBF is a compensation for the smaller clubs who don't get the same marketing and exposure as others. You can't just take it away and expect them to fend for themselves, yet still want Collingwood and Essendon playing Anzac day every year and still want the biggest drawing clubs playing Friday nights and on FTA.

Your club gets about the average number of Friday night spots. I think you're slightly less than average this year, last year you had slightly more than the average number of Friday night games. Stop coming up with this drivel about how you get a crap draw. You don't.
You should get an even split of the AFL's profits. That's the assistance. There is no reason why you should get more money just for being a perennial basketcase.

That is absolute crap. The support for the two codes is 50/50 on the coast and AFL supporters are by and large a lot more passionate about their game than the sniffers.
You must be talking about a different gold coast to the one I live on here in south east queensland.

The support has never been 50/50 afor RL/AR here on the Coast. Whilst there is a healthy AR community here on the coast it doesnt compete with rugby league. The Titans have done a great job in building their supporter base and with community relations. Two pre game sell outs at Carrara and two 40k plus games in Brisbane so far isnt bad for a city of 400,000. The gold coast is right behind them and they are the majority of the coasts team, or second team. No matter what code people follow.

The Kangaroos are seen in the eyes of locals as a knee jerk reaction to the titans admission and would be nothing but a bunch of blow ins. Whilst I'm glad we are getting some top flight footy on the coast, I hope the AFL doesnt rush the Roos up here as I'd fear they would be a failure in the short term.

Your club gets about the average number of Friday night spots. I think you're slightly less than average this year, last year you had slightly more than the average number of Friday night games. Stop coming up with this drivel about how you get a crap draw. You don't.
You should get an even split of the AFL's profits. That's the assistance. There is no reason why you should get more money just for being a perennial basketcase.

Perhaps you would like to explain why we receive an AVERAGE amount of Friday games when we are the reason they exist. You imply that the club wasted all its chances during the 90's however the Friday night game was part and parcel of what made the club so successful. I would argue that we should have the lions share of a concept which we put the hard work into.

Perhaps you would like to explain why we receive an AVERAGE amount of Friday games when we are the reason they exist. You imply that the club wasted all its chances during the 90's however the Friday night game was part and parcel of what made the club so successful. I would argue that we should have the lions share of a concept which we put the hard work into.

No you shouldn't. Just get your lot up to the Gold Coast for ever and stop whinging

That is absolute crap. The support for the two codes is 50/50 on the coast and AFL supporters are by and large a lot more passionate about their game than the sniffers.
You must be talking about a different gold coast to the one I live on here in south east queensland.

The support has never been 50/50 afor RL/AR here on the Coast. Whilst there is a healthy AR community here on the coast it doesnt compete with rugby league. The Titans have done a great job in building their supporter base and with community relations. Two pre game sell outs at Carrara and two 40k plus games in Brisbane so far isnt bad for a city of 400,000. The gold coast is right behind them and they are the majority of the coasts team, or second team. No matter what code people follow.

The Kangaroos are seen in the eyes of locals as a knee jerk reaction to the titans admission and would be nothing but a bunch of blow ins. Whilst I'm glad we are getting some top flight footy on the coast, I hope the AFL doesnt rush the Roos up here as I'd fear they would be a failure in the short term.

I doubt that they will fail, however I do believe the Gold Coast would be better off starting a new team up there then moving an ex Melbourne team. Either way the sooner a team plays there week in week out the more support will come from the Gold Coast.

The AFL need to hurry up and put a team in Canberra, West Sydney and on the Gold Coast to gain more support

Only in the eyes of someone who knows they'll never have to worry about their club going under. It's amazing the amount of people who try and judge what North fans are going through when they support an interstate club.

not true - we've all been through it with the death of our local competition!

Every work place used to have a wafl tipping comp - now most people couldn't name 5 players in the WAFL

we've had to watch our clubs and competition die due to the AFL - so we do appreciate what is happening to north at the moment!

not true - we've all been through it with the death of our local competition!

Every work place used to have a wafl tipping comp - now most people couldn't name 5 players in the WAFL

we've had to watch our clubs and competition die due to the AFL - so we do appreciate what is happening to north at the moment!

The difference being you can still go watch that local team you once followed and continue to follow the "Franchise".

Brisbane have about $6 million in cash reserves, they can afford to spend like a bitch because they've got the money to do it. I'm sure if they didn't have the case they'd cut back on their football department spending - which currently is about the 4th or 5th highest in the league from memory.
Don't try and pretend that the Lions are in strife financially.

They have only made money during the period they were a premiership team, even the Swans are making money during their premiership era side, however long it lasts.

They have done a fantastic job to get where they are BUT the profitability is heading the wrong direction so you can't just claim all things are rosey, how often do clubs dominate like the Lions did? You have to look at what is sustainable, a mistake the AFL is making is they have judged the Queensland market at its peak and that is not sustainable.

Why? It's a different market than the Melbourne market. People don't buy memberships for $130 in Brisbane - they pay top dollar (up to $500) for a reserved seat and they earn a sh*tload of signage and corporate facilities. 24,000 Lions members probably are worth more revenue to them than 35,000 bargain basement memberships of a Victorian club.

It helps if you know what you are talking about. The Lions season ticket for 12 home games at the Gabba is $205($17.08 per game), the full membership is $257 for 12 games($21.42 per game). They have a range of upgrade up to $433 for their premium packages but I can guarantee that would be a minority of their members.

They also have a fair chunk of Melbourne members who they wouldn't be getting anywhere near as much from, any Melbourne member who goes to games in Melbourne the Lions have to pay that club, making little to nothing out of it.

By comparison, a North membership is $145 for 8 games ($18.13 per game), a 14 game membership is $250 ($17.86 per game). Legends is $250/$355. Platimum is $355/$440 and Inner Chairman's Circle is $950.

All clubs have the various degrees of membership. They charge slightly more for their equivalent memberships because they also provide paid public transport with their membership tickets.

And in any case, the Gold Coast is a different market. You really think people in Brisbane are going to suddenly switch allegiances? What rot.

Gold Coast is what, 40 minutes away? Half of Melbourne takes longer to get to MCG/TD than that. It may be a fair distance away but they are still dependant on support from the whole of Queensland, especially the regions relatively close to Brisbane.

Their market is just not mature enough to accept another winter based club taking revenue from them when they are not raking the money in as it is. It is foolish and it is mismanagement. The AFL should focus more on quality rather than quantity and market share.

Build up the support for AFL, bribe clubs to play enough games there to build support over the years, build a proper stadium and as the market shows it can support Brisbane easily and has enough support for another club to grow into then that is when a decision needs to be made.

There is a lot of work that has to go into promoting the region well before you drag a team there permanently. If they wont support clubs playing games there then they are not ready. Look at Tasmania, they turn up for anyone, they really want to be part of the AFL, had they had the corporate support and a threat from NRL the AFL would ignore GC for Tasmania.

Well, you'd want to do something, because it's pretty clear the AFL is getting sick of pumping money down the bottomless pit. Don't like relocation? That's fine, but you better come up with a realistic long term plan soon.

It has only dragged out because the AFL approached the "assistance" in the wrong manner. They wasted a number of years forcing the clubs to slash spending to an umnanagable level and provide enough funding to break even, which doesn't help to solve any problems. It lead to uncompetitive teams with no real means to fix problems.

The change of approach at least gives the clubs a chance to assess what the options are and to try and overcome them, it will still take time but at least clubs now can sit down and plan ahead. AFL forced us to get rid of Michael Easy who we appointed as CEO and he basically had a blueprint for success which required additional spending to lift the profile and image of the club. AFL just wasted three years of our time by being closed-minded into the type of approach required to build a sustainable future.

We may or may not need to move in the long-term but it would be moronic to move into a region prematurely where you are just going to struggle and perhaps die in the process. AFL says they will support us, what happens if AD goes and the next CEO is not so supportive of pumping hundres of millions into interstate clubs?

You would want to know that you have a sustainable future somewhere else without being spoon fed by the AFL, if not, there is no point in moving at all because we can survive here being spoon fed.

It is all about real long-term solutions. The club is undergoing the assessment of the market here and in GC and that will be on-going research, we will either find a solution here or will find a solution somewhere else. At this point in time, GC is no more viable than an overcrowded Melbourne market.

We all know where it's coming from. It's not like AFL spending is not known to anyone that wants to look hard enough.

We know where it is coming from but we are not questioning how they are spending. The only president that is demanding greater transparency from the AFL is Jeff Kennett and I think all presidents should be demanding it and be demanding a greater share of the broadcasting windfall, which next to nothing has gone to the clubs. First one went mostly directly to players and the clubs got a minor increase in distribution this time around.

AFL needs to ensure they look after the interest of all the club, it doesn't matter where they are located be it Melbourne, Adelaide, Perth, Sydney or Brisbane. All the clubs could use the additional income to safeguard their future rather than have the AFL urinate it away.

would you still get the same thrill if north was dropped down to the VFL?(VFA?)

You'd have to go back over 100 years and ask how a North supporter felt about their club suddenly being in the second ranked competition in Victoria, one from which North was excluded. I'd guess not too happy, which is why they worked for the next thirty years to dominate the VFA and ultimately gain delayed admission to the VFL in 1925. Having your club drop from the AFL to a lower competition isn't something any supporters have had to face (except the Fitzroy followers who chose to stick with the local version of their club).

Your analogy is better suited to Port Melbourne fans - stuck true to their club whatever happened in the "higher" competition, and good for them.

You'd have to go back over 100 years and ask how a North supporter felt about their club suddenly being in the second ranked competition in Victoria, one from which North was excluded. I'd guess not too happy, which is why they worked for the next thirty years to dominate the VFA and ultimately gain delayed admission to the VFL in 1925. Having your club drop from the AFL to a lower competition isn't something any supporters have had to face (except the Fitzroy followers who chose to stick with the local version of their club).

Your analogy is better suited to Port Melbourne fans - stuck true to their club whatever happened in the "higher" competition, and good for them.

I was a passionate west perth supporter - but the comp died and I found myself watching a second rate competition.

I am not advocating the relocation of North - just saying that their is empathy from west of the border - we have been through something similar!

Our clubs were effectively relegated to a second-tier comp - it was just that all 8 clubs got relegated - not just 1

I was a passionate west perth supporter - but the comp died and I found myself watching a second rate competition.

I am not advocating the relocation of North - just saying that their is empathy from west of the border - we have been through something similar!

Our clubs were effectively relegated to a second-tier comp - it was just that all 8 clubs got relegated - not just 1

That is the reason the SANFL resisted the urge to join the AFL but their hand was forced when Port Adelaide decided to go it alone.

I doubt that they will fail, however I do believe the Gold Coast would be better off starting a new team up there then moving an ex Melbourne team. Either way the sooner a team plays there week in week out the more support will come from the Gold Coast.

The AFL need to hurry up and put a team in Canberra, West Sydney and on the Gold Coast to gain more support

A team in Canberra. Now you are dreaming!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You have a go at Essendon and Collingwood (or at least the bulk of your team's supporters do) for getting a preferential draw, and now you're demanding your club should get one? FFS....:rolleyes:

And you're drawing a very long bow to suggest that matches on Friday nights wouldn't exist without your club. They're a major part of sporting competitions everywhere. Maybe the NRL should pay you royalties for it? :rolleyes:

So by that logic Henry Ford shouldnt get any credit for inventing the motor vehicle because im sure someone would have invented it eventually.

So what are your thoughts on the 'traditional' Anzac Day clash between Essendon and Collingwood?

So by that logic Henry Ford shouldnt get any credit for inventing the motor vehicle because im sure someone would have invented it eventually.

So what are your thoughts on the 'traditional' Anzac Day clash between Essendon and Collingwood?

Are all Kanga supporters this stupid? Hope they do fold instead of moving interstate. It could breed more stupidity Austalia wide.

Your club did not invent Friday night footy. Simple as that

Careful... your well considered analysis and local knowledge may upset some armchair know-it-alls from thousands of kms away.

Remove this Banner Ad

Gold Coast Kangaroos does have a good ring to it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back