Gold Coast Kangaroos does have a good ring to it

Remove this Banner Ad

If you were not the first team to play Friday night football you have no copyright on the idea, and therefor should not be considered extra money as discussed earlier.
Forget any debate about AFL dividends ! Your posts are proof that the NSW government should be pumping a lot more money into the schools of western Sydney ! :p

They have only made money during the period they were a premiership team, even the Swans are making money during their premiership era side, however long it lasts.

They have done a fantastic job to get where they are BUT the profitability is heading the wrong direction so you can't just claim all things are rosey, how often do clubs dominate like the Lions did? You have to look at what is sustainable, a mistake the AFL is making is they have judged the Queensland market at its peak and that is not sustainable.

I figure it was apt to post this in this thread (even if it means bumping it up):

Football revenue
(sponsorship, membership, gate receipts, merchandise, fund-raising, marketing and AFL-sourced)

1. West Coast $34.529m
2. Collingwood $27.319m
3. Brisbane Lions $23.173m
4. Fremantle $21.445m
5. Sydney $19.661m
6. Essendon $19.389m
7. W Bulldogs 19.157m
8. Adelaide 18.022m
9. Geelong 16.109m
10. Hawthorn 15.907m
11. Melbourne 14.814m
12. Port Adelaide 14.758m
13. St Kilda 14.416m
14. Richmond 14.145m
15. Kangaroos 14.14m
16. Carlton 13.738m

And of course that's at 2006 figures, a very very ordinary year for Brisbane. Shows they spend like a bitch. Why? Because they can afford to. They are a non-profit club, they don't need to scrimp on anything when they've got so much money in the bank and earn a sh*tload in revenue. If they make losses occasionally, then big deal.

And you're saying that's not sustainable? Based on what?

It helps if you know what you are talking about. The Lions season ticket for 12 home games at the Gabba is $205($17.08 per game), the full membership is $257 for 12 games($21.42 per game). They have a range of upgrade up to $433 for their premium packages but I can guarantee that would be a minority of their members.

They also have a fair chunk of Melbourne members who they wouldn't be getting anywhere near as much from, any Melbourne member who goes to games in Melbourne the Lions have to pay that club, making little to nothing out of it.

By comparison, a North membership is $145 for 8 games ($18.13 per game), a 14 game membership is $250 ($17.86 per game). Legends is $250/$355. Platimum is $355/$440 and Inner Chairman's Circle is $950.

All clubs have the various degrees of membership. They charge slightly more for their equivalent memberships because they also provide paid public transport with their membership tickets.

And possibly an appropriate place to post this:

Membership
(Reserve seat income included)

1. West Coast $11.045m
2. Adelaide $7.917m
3. Collingwood $7.541m
4. Brisbane Lions $6.982m
5. Geelong $6.375m
6. Fremantle $6.279m
7. Essendon $6.13m
8. Port Adelaide $5.667m
9. Sydney $5.416m
10. St Kilda $4.957m
11 Richmond $4.108m
12. Carlton $4.072m
13 W Bulldogs $3.594m
14 Hawthorn $3.225m
15 Melbourne $3.181m
16 Kangaroos $2.981m

Shows you membership numbers aren't everything.

You could halve the Brisbane membership figure, give it to the Gold Coast club, and both would earn half a million dollars more in membership revenue than North.

I'm loathe to say I told you so, because I wouldn't have guessed the figures would have been so far apart. But I told you so. ;)

Forget any debate about AFL dividends ! Your posts are proof that the NSW government should be pumping a lot more money into the schools of western Sydney ! :p

Sorry my spelling is apauling lol. I'm used to having spell check with all my documents. Didn't think it would bother anyone on a forum.:p

I figure it was apt to post this in this thread (even if it means bumping it up):

Football revenue
(sponsorship, membership, gate receipts, merchandise, fund-raising, marketing and AFL-sourced)

1. West Coast $34.529m
2. Collingwood $27.319m
3. Brisbane Lions $23.173m
4. Fremantle $21.445m
5. Sydney $19.661m
6. Essendon $19.389m
7. W Bulldogs 19.157m
8. Adelaide 18.022m
9. Geelong 16.109m
10. Hawthorn 15.907m
11. Melbourne 14.814m
12. Port Adelaide 14.758m
13. St Kilda 14.416m
14. Richmond 14.145m
15. Kangaroos 14.14m
16. Carlton 13.738m

And of course that's at 2006 figures, a very very ordinary year for Brisbane. Shows they spend like a bitch. Why? Because they can afford to. They are a non-profit club, they don't need to scrimp on anything when they've got so much money in the bank and earn a sh*tload in revenue. If they make losses occasionally, then big deal.

And you're saying that's not sustainable? Based on what?

And possibly an appropriate place to post this:

Membership
(Reserve seat income included)

1. West Coast $11.045m
2. Adelaide $7.917m
3. Collingwood $7.541m
4. Brisbane Lions $6.982m
5. Geelong $6.375m
6. Fremantle $6.279m
7. Essendon $6.13m
8. Port Adelaide $5.667m
9. Sydney $5.416m
10. St Kilda $4.957m
11 Richmond $4.108m
12. Carlton $4.072m
13 W Bulldogs $3.594m
14 Hawthorn $3.225m
15 Melbourne $3.181m
16 Kangaroos $2.981m

Shows you membership numbers aren't everything.

You could halve the Brisbane membership figure, give it to the Gold Coast club, and both would earn half a million dollars more in membership revenue than North.

I'm loathe to say I told you so, because I wouldn't have guessed the figures would have been so far apart. But I told you so. ;)

And those 2 clubs are supposed to be members of the Big 4.

Good to see somebody has an idea around here. Great find. Gold Coast must have a club and it should be the Kangaroos

Well it certainly isnt you Mickdog.

Gold Coast dont have to have a club at all.

We don't even fill the gabba for regular games and there is only 1 team in Brisbane.

Qld has a large percentage of band wagoners, which is the main reason i think a Gold Coast team will fail unless they win a premiership

LOL by a couple of points. Hardly a great win. The main thing is that we wil be playing finals and you won't be:thumbsu: :p

try 16 points after belting the crap out of you for most of the night.

We went in as underdogs and anytime you beat last years grand finalist is a great win.

You and your Swans got OWNED.

try 16 points after belting the crap out of you for most of the night.

We went in as underdogs and anytime you beat last years grand finalist is a great win.

You and your Swans got OWNED.

Look, I know you're enjoying your win at all, but any time you're leading 7 goals to 1 at 1/4 time then allow the other team back to 4 points with about 4 minutes left, you owned the other team in the first quarter and that's about it.

Look, I know you're enjoying your win at all, but any time you're leading 7 goals to 1 at 1/4 time then allow the other team back to 4 points with about 4 minutes left, you owned the other team in the first quarter and that's about it.
Um, pardon? Just the first quarter you say? You didn't get within 21 points for the entire match until the last quarter. You were comprehensively beaten all over the ground, and consequently, lost. The banter between the Roos & Swans fans over this match has been courteous and good natured. Don't start turning that into a crapfest by talking utter garbage. :thumbsu:

We were still up by 5 goals at 3 quarter time. Id say that was ownership of the Swans for most of the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Um, pardon? Just the first quarter you say? You didn't get within 21 points for the entire match until the last quarter. You were comprehensively beaten all over the ground, and consequently, lost. The banter between the Roos & Swans fans over this match has been courteous and good natured. Don't start turning that into a crapfest by talking utter garbage. :thumbsu:
How exactly are you owning / comprehensively beating someone when you're outscored by 13 goals to 9 in the last 3 quarters?

Your Jump in the first quarter was the only difference in the game, and congrats on it, but to be making mentions of ownage is short sighted to say the least.

We were still up by 5 goals at 3 quarter time. Id say that was ownership of the Swans for most of the game.
Not really. It was a buffer you had from the first quarter. Seeing as you were up by 6 goals at 1/4 time that looks to me like you were outscored by 1 goal in the 2 quarters from 1/4 time and thus was a pretty even game.

As I said above, you had your buffer from your excellent first 1/4, but the rest of the game was anything but "ownage".

OK, 'owned' might be stretching it (compare Geelong vs. Richmond !:eek: )

He was just pointing out the idiocy of Mickdog's "hardly a great win" line.

Thats exactly what I meant. Mickdog is a moron. He says he barracks for the Swans but has only ever been to one game and says he will support a West Sydney team but will never fully support the Swans.

I dont subscribe to the point of view there are too many clubs in Victoria.
The game has more than enough money and I think it is just plain stupid that we would even consider reducing teams. Clubs are what made the game great. Clubs are what makes the brand: AFL. Why exterminate them?

We need to add teams.

North Melbourne,

Most disgusting team ever.

Enjoy your win, there wont be too many more this year.

Go stand in front of a train. I am sure it will swerve and miss you.

I'm not having a dig here but would like someone to answer me honestly and with valid points. I was at the telstra dome on the weekend, from memory the crowd figure shown on the screen was 27 thousand and something. At a guess I would say crowd support was probably 70-30 per cent in norths favour.

Now, considering they had won 2 games on the trot playing a very good brand of football, where were their supporters? 15,000 -20,000 is a piss poor turnout given they were playing their best footy in years.

My question is this: How can the Roos hope to survive in Melbourne when they cannot attract a crowd to big games playing good footy?

Remove this Banner Ad

Gold Coast Kangaroos does have a good ring to it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back