Gold Coast Kangaroos does have a good ring to it

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not having a dig here but would like someone to answer me honestly and with valid points. I was at the telstra dome on the weekend, from memory the crowd figure shown on the screen was 27 thousand and something. At a guess I would say crowd support was probably 70-30 per cent in norths favour.

Now, considering they had won 2 games on the trot playing a very good brand of football, where were their supporters? 15,000 -20,000 is a piss poor turnout given they were playing their best footy in years.

My question is this: How can the Roos hope to survive in Melbourne when they cannot attract a crowd to big games playing good footy?

I am surprised you didn't say it was 25k swans supporters. Unless you can justify the figures I smell BS. Was probably 5k or less.

We have been hammered this year in terms of negative media, it is going to take a lot more than a few good games to change the perception in the eyes of the fans because we are not bandwagon supporters. Those who are following the club atm are largely the loyal ones.

When the Swans dive down the bottom of the ladder and they can barely get 20k to the SCG will you come out and say how can your club justify it's existance?

Most supporters want to see a commitment by the club for the future, not just on-field performance.

Just wanted to say congratualtions to the Gold Coast Kangaroos for beating us on the weekend. :p
And 'congratualtions' to you for being the biggest serial moron on Big Footy ! :D

PS How do you see the Swans as 'us', given you've only been to one game and don't believe they can represent the western suburbs of Sydney ? :confused:

Carrara strikes back

27Apr07
THE Coast is set for a stadium stoush with Robina's $160 million Skilled Park due to be outplayed after plans to radically rebuild Gold Coast Stadium at Carrara were leaked yesterday.
The $110 million proposal to redesign the $900,000-a-year 'white elephant' would see the riverside venue able to seat 25,000 under a signature wave-shaped roof while, in a world-first, patrons could arrive by water in either public rivercats or private craft.
Horseshoe-shaped in design and opening on to the Nerang River, the reborn venue, described as a scaled-down version of an Olympic stadium, would take a number of years to complete with construction undertaken in a series of stages.
After six years of planning, the first sod of the new stadium could soon be turned with a groundswell of support, spearheaded by Mayor Ron Clarke, indicating it's a matter of when, rather than if, an AFL team calls the Coast home.
Despite a 2001 agreement between the Queensland Government's Major Sports Facilities Authority and the AFL that any Gold Coast team must be based in Brisbane until 2016 to justify the Government's $180 million redevelopment of the Gabba, there is growing optimism that decision will be overturned.
While Cr Clarke has argued the Government set a precedent by redeveloping Brisbane's Suncorp Stadium and also paying for a new NRL ground at Robina, AFL sources are quietly confident that if they foot the bill for the new Gold Coast Stadium at Carrara our team will come -- and well before the next decade.
While the political and sporting stoush is yet to be resolved, a source yesterday said the proposals were already crystal clear.
"With the boating aspect of the arena, there really is nothing else like this in the world," he said.
"They've actually designed a marina at the back of the site and opened it up to the Nerang River so that ferries and water transport options can be used. Not only does this make the site unique, but it will also help alleviate traffic congestion.
"I believe this stadium will be a world-leader in that aspect.
"The wave-shaped roof will also make it one of the most recognisable venues in the world.
"It's going to be amazing."
An AFL spokesman yesterday confirmed the plans but refused to release completed images.
"The images we have are concept plans of what a stadium might look like, but there is still a way to go," he said. "We're looking at what we would need to do to increase capacity and improve the experience for customers, but I can't comment on when or if these plans will be realised, nor the future of AFL on the Gold Coast.
"We're committed to three years with the Kangaroos at Carrara and we've said we want to hold more games in southeast Queensland by 2015, but right now we're focused on the present.
"There are a lot of things happening with the Kangaroos board but there is still lots to be done."
Not to be outdone, the NRL's Skilled Park at Robina yesterday showed signs of significant progress, with its roof rafters being installed.
Construction of the 25,000-seat stadium is on schedule and the complex is due to open in December.
Once completed, Skilled Park will have 100 open corporate boxes and 28 closed corporate suites, a 500-seat function centre and 16 food and drink outlets.
The western stand will form the showpiece area of the venue, a 14,000sqm stand that will be the base for season ticket-holders.
Outside the stadium, a retail precinct will be built for fans who arrive by rail at Robina station next door, by bus, car or even by watercraft, up the Mudgeeraba Creek at the back of the complex.
However, the source said Skilled Park's waterfront arrivals would be akin to a dinghy compared with Carrara's 'Queen Mary'.
From being a sporting wasteland since the late 1990s that no national code wanted, the Gold Coast has now become a prized possession.
Since the NRL announced that the Titans would be part of its competition all other codes, especially the AFL, have expressed renewed interest in the region.
The AFL's Kangaroos will play five games at Carrara this year as the league attempts to maintain a major presence here among the fans.
The Titans' debut season is also being played out of Carrara.

http://www.gcbulletin.com.au/article/2007/04/27/4752_news.html

I am surprised you didn't say it was 25k swans supporters. Unless you can justify the figures I smell BS. Was probably 5k or less.

Just going by my estimate looking around the ground and I don't think that anyone who was at the game on Saturday night could disagree. The swans have 10,000 Victorian members and I would suggest the majority of them were in attendance.

We have been hammered this year in terms of negative media, it is going to take a lot more than a few good games to change the perception in the eyes of the fans because we are not bandwagon supporters. Those who are following the club atm are largely the loyal ones.

Fair enough but part of my question is how are the club attracting new supporters? I have heard the theory about all the new supporters they attracted during their 90's success not being old enough to buy memberships yet but thats hardly something you can bank your future on.

When the Swans dive down the bottom of the ladder and they can barely get 20k to the SCG will you come out and say how can your club justify it's existance?

We'll cross that bridge when we come to it my friend

Most supporters want to see a commitment by the club for the future, not just on-field performance

You are suggesting that supporters are not turning up to games because the club has not fully committed to the future? It's a bit hard for them to do that when the fans won't commit to the club.

The $110 million proposal to redesign the $900,000-a-year 'white elephant' would see the riverside venue able to seat 25,000 under a signature wave-shaped roof

Many people on various threads have been criticising North for having a poor crowd (27k) on Saturday night and say we should go to the GC where a new you beaut stadium that will hold 25k is to be built. Am I missing something here?

Its interesting that both the Titan's new stadium and this proposed Carrara upgrade have a maximum of 25k. Is this the maximum crowd projected at Carrara over the next ten+ years?

Just going by my estimate looking around the ground and I don't think that anyone who was at the game on Saturday night could disagree. The swans have 10,000 Victorian members and I would suggest the majority of them were in attendance.

I think less than 5k. We have 20k members, 7k that haven't re-signed yet, a lot of action at the booths.

Fair enough but part of my question is how are the club attracting new supporters? I have heard the theory about all the new supporters they attracted during their 90's success not being old enough to buy memberships yet but thats hardly something you can bank your future on.

I believe we have the third highest number of young concessional supporters, given our supporter base and membership base there is no other logical explanation for the number of young supporters.

Our club has made a number of errors in judgement, have alienated a lot of supporters with the push into Sydney, playing games in Canberra and Queensland with the constant talk and threat of relocation.

Yes, logically you would think that it is as simple as jumping on as members and going to games to dispel the rumours but when you don't have someone with a high profile public image pushing that message then the average supporter who is on the fence between being a member or not isn't going to take the initiative.

After 20 years of the same crap it wears down on you. Club doesn't know how many Melbourne members we need to be sustainable here, playing well will help to get the ball rolling but we have been picked to finish bottom four by the experts every year since 2000 and it is not just an assessment at the start of the year, there is a lot of spiteful shit written and spoken in all forms of media constantly.

When you are a young lukewarm supporter not really devoted to fooball yet all that is not going to convince you to jump aboard.

You are suggesting that supporters are not turning up to games because the club has not fully committed to the future? It's a bit hard for them to do that when the fans won't commit to the club.

We averaged 40k to our games in Melbourne in 2005, we played okay that year. We dont draw well against interstate teams, games on Sundays or against teams that play boring football but against most Melbourne sides we do reasonably well.

If we play okay and if there isn't the gloom of the grim reaper hanging over our heads then we will do okay. Our membership has been steadily growing up until this year. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to put two and two together.

And 'congratualtions' to you for being the biggest serial moron on Big Footy ! :D

PS How do you see the Swans as 'us', given you've only been to one game and don't believe they can represent the western suburbs of Sydney ? :confused:

Whats wrong with having only been to one game? I have only recently wanted to go to a game. Not enough publicity up here.

The $110 million proposal to redesign the $900,000-a-year 'white elephant' would see the riverside venue able to seat 25,000 under a signature wave-shaped roof

Many people on various threads have been criticising North for having a poor crowd (27k) on Saturday night and say we should go to the GC where a new you beaut stadium that will hold 25k is to be built. Am I missing something here?

Its interesting that both the Titan's new stadium and this proposed Carrara upgrade have a maximum of 25k. Is this the maximum crowd projected at Carrara over the next ten+ years?

25,000 seated doesn't mean 25,000 maximum crowd.
Also I would suggest that the Gold Coast would attract more money to the club outside just gate reciets. Look at how much Brisbane make every year:thumbsu:

I think less than 5k. We have 20k members, 7k that haven't re-signed yet, a lot of action at the booths.

I believe we have the third highest number of young concessional supporters, given our supporter base and membership base there is no other logical explanation for the number of young supporters.

Our club has made a number of errors in judgement, have alienated a lot of supporters with the push into Sydney, playing games in Canberra and Queensland with the constant talk and threat of relocation.

Yes, logically you would think that it is as simple as jumping on as members and going to games to dispel the rumours but when you don't have someone with a high profile public image pushing that message then the average supporter who is on the fence between being a member or not isn't going to take the initiative.

After 20 years of the same crap it wears down on you. Club doesn't know how many Melbourne members we need to be sustainable here, playing well will help to get the ball rolling but we have been picked to finish bottom four by the experts every year since 2000 and it is not just an assessment at the start of the year, there is a lot of spiteful shit written and spoken in all forms of media constantly.

When you are a young lukewarm supporter not really devoted to fooball yet all that is not going to convince you to jump aboard.

We averaged 40k to our games in Melbourne in 2005, we played okay that year. We dont draw well against interstate teams, games on Sundays or against teams that play boring football but against most Melbourne sides we do reasonably well.

If we play okay and if there isn't the gloom of the grim reaper hanging over our heads then we will do okay. Our membership has been steadily growing up until this year. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to put two and two together.

LMFAO you still fail to answer the question

25,000 seated doesn't mean 25,000 maximum crowd.
Also I would suggest that the Gold Coast would attract more money to the club outside just gate reciets. Look at how much Brisbane make every year:thumbsu:

And how many more people are going to be able to fit in the standing room only areas?

Yet you appoint yourself an expert on how the competition should be organised ? :rolleyes:

When did I try to tell the AFL how to organise anything?

They have said they will have a team in West Sydney soon and I am supporting the idea. I am not an expert on the game and have never claimed to be but even a alien could tell you that 10 teams located in 1 area in a national game is not the best way to do things and those teams won't be all that successful compared to the others. Also 1 team in a place that is smaller in population then the location that 10 teams are in is not a smart move.

Basically Sydney will have another team soon. As will Qld. To say any different would be rather silly

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, a number of people (including Leigh Matthews) have pointed out that Brisbane isn't exactly rolling in $, and they doubt the Qld market can carry 2 AFL clubs..........I guess they know less about it than you do. :rolleyes:

I wonder why he wouldn't want another team around??? Maybe it could have something to do with them not making as much money with some competition. Deadset a blind gimp could see that:rolleyes:

Who are the others that don't have an agenda?

Remove this Banner Ad

Gold Coast Kangaroos does have a good ring to it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back