Goodbye and good riddance Ben Graham

Remove this Banner Ad

tayls said:
Gee i must agree i am copping it. well sorry for having an opinion, remember it is just that, doesn't mean i am right and all you are wrong, maybe i am not as forgiving as some people, i expect someone on a wage such as what Ben Graham was on to have done a lot more. It's good to see everyone stick up for him, i must not have been standing near you in the outer when Ben was playing.
Black Jack i didnt say that all you do at full back is stand next to your opponent, if you could read i said how Scarlett runs and creates as well.
As for you JubJub you think this is a load of bulltish well im sorry that i dont accept mediocrity on the football field, especially form a captain.
Sorry funky but the amount of times i saw Ben fail to work hard at CHF was many. At times he just refused to present when he should. I just dont rate him as high as others do.
As for credentials i have played over 10 years of football at senior level so i believe i do know what i am talking about.
It been entertaing though having a verbal joust with everyone, just remember we all have opinions which are not right or wrong, debate suc has this is what makes the world turn, and its a bit of fun.
Thank you all for your opinions.

dont back down now mate
These guys obviously get their faces painted and wave their ford flags at every game. Ben graham was overpaid and NEVER has been a star player or for that matter consistent. I am glad he is gone, he was a burden

Presenting means at least making a contest, not everyone can take 12 marks a game, especially Graham, what providing a contest is a least it gets the ball downfield, and in Geelongs structure it gave the likes of Ablett, Chapman and the like to get front and centre when the ball hit the deck which was their strength. Alll we could ask ben to do was present coz he wasnt a brown, reiwoldt or tredrea and could not mark like them. He is not in their league. So you make best with what you have got. See the theory was kick long to Graham if he marks it good, if not our strength was our midfield and smaller players getting to the fall of the ball and win the one on one contest. And it worked.
Johnnie, as for how old i am 12 years of senior footy mate do the maths.

If B Graham makes it in the US. Does anyone else think this will cause a heap of other players to try there luck in the US. It would make sense if you can earn a couple million a year over twenty years, why would you play a game for 200000 a year over 10 years.

Blackjack5 said:
Your kidding...right? :confused:

You say that GFC stuck with Ben Graham through thick and thin??

Wrong.

It was Ben Graham that stayed with the cats through a number of rough years; at a time when any team would have loved to have had Benny playing as their fullback. This was a period of time (the 'post-Ayres recovery years" as I like to call them) when there seemed to be nothing going for GFC, huge financial problems, a list with seemingly little potential and a coach who at that time was unproven as a senior coach and who supporters had little faith in.

I'm as dissapointed as the next guy about Benny leaving, but I dont think he should be remembered as a villian. He is doing what is best for his family and for himself. Family must come before football.

There will be a massive hole to fill at CHF in 2005, all we can do is to hope that either Lonergan or McCarthy are able to stand up and take on the role as a senior KPP. :eek:

First and foremost Grham could have left 7 years ago when the NY Jets offered Ben Graham a contract. He kept that quiet from the GFC, that he kept in contact for the last 7 years with them. He had an opportunity, he didn't take it.

We had to put up with his mediocre performances (take away 1999 and when his career came good again in 2003) for that period while we paid him a LOT of money.

Mark Thompson was right in his press conferences in what he said bout Graham.
On paper, this is the best team at Geelong in the last 10 years.

He lost his opportunity to win a premiership, career was a waste.

I have no sympathy for him leaving, but as was said, family before football.

And I support him on that.

Cats 05 said:
First and foremost Grham could have left 7 years ago when the NY Jets offered Ben Graham a contract. He kept that quiet from the GFC, that he kept in contact for the last 7 years with them. He had an opportunity, he didn't take it.

Graham keeping in contact with the Jets for the last 7 years has been well publicised over the years.The contract offer was never disclosed,but why should it have ?

Benny was a very good player for geelong over 12 years well done Ben.He will be very hard to replace next year no question.
What we must remember also is that he was offered bucket loads of money to leave when Colbert left.
At that time it would have ripped the heart out of the club if he had of left but he showed great loyalty. So i say best of luck Benny and go N.Y Jets!

I always thought that Big Benny played well @ CHB. Didn't see too much of Ben's carrer as I've only been a full on Geelong supporter since 1999 (forgive I'm from Canberra we have both brainless types of Thugby up here). Very sorry to see my fave player go but they all leave the field eventually. Go Cats.

How many Melbourne supporters would reckon go for the Chargers in the NFL?

Yes I know Graham is playing for the Jets. So I shall rephrase my question.
How many Melbourne Deamons supporters do you reckon would go for the Chargers (Bennett's team) in the NFL & also how many Cats supporters would go for the Jets?

Not that I really go for anyone in Steriod ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Goodbye and good riddance Ben Graham

Remove this Banner Ad

Back