Goulburn Valley FL - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Official GVFL Thread (part 2)

Are there any facilities in the GV better than Tat? Great social rooms, 2 good outdoor toilet facilities, good change rooms, always warm showers. Don't think ShepSwans or Mansfield have any of these. Mansfield big:thumbsu: is that they have a good play area for kids. My bro' plays in the Hume League and says nearly every club has a kids play area between the football and netball areas. At Tat we have a road! Kyabram has great social rooms and lighting. Mooropna good change rooms, 2 food kiosks. I Haven't played yet at Deakin, Seymour or at Benalla since upgrades a couple of years back. I guess if we could get similar lighting to Ky's and a great kids play area to attract families to the games then the gate takings and memberships will start flowing in..... :)
can any 1 tell me how rochi are going and how a young fella called ben duscher is going?

can any 1 tell me how rochi are going and how a young fella called ben duscher is going?

Absolutely killing them. Has been in the best players since round 1 and was apparently a very good matchup for Saad. Probably very lucky that his boss is the Coach as I'm sure he could get a fair bit of coin around the traps. Not to say that he's not getting a bit a Rochy.:thumbsu:

One for the Seymour boys, how is Paul Scanlon coming along? Doesn't seem to be having the impact he has had the last few years though, not to say his presence isn't there or is in bad form. Just an update?

Speeking of Saad Saad, the Pies would be dissapointed looking at it now that hadn't taken an extra forward on their VFL list in 2008.

Haven seen most of our boys games this year, I think Rochy look the goods thus far, but we aren't even half way yet, just waiting for my boy Murphy to get his hands on the footy a little more and slot a few more. However I don't think we are far off the mark this year.

• AFL players have been banned from scouring fan websites, for fear the vicious player appraisals could lead to depression.
At one club, support staff also have been threatened with the sack if they are caught blogging or leaking valuable information to the websites.
Labelled "cyber bullying" and "big brother" blogging by the AFL Players' Association, clubs have taken the drastic step of encouraging a boycott of the popular fan sites.
"I wouldn't encourage any players to use them. I think it's for bloggers, and I think it's mostly for titillation rather any decent feedback," AFLPA general manager of psychology, people and culture, Pippa Grange said yesterday.
"It's more your big brother-type trivia.
"I would agree with coaches telling players not to look, but I would also encourage the players not to think of it in any way as criticism - it's just a random sample of people with not much better to do."
Most football clubs have independent supporter websites, including Saintsational, TalkingCarlton, Demonology, Punt Road End, Nick's Collingwood Page and and Bomberblitz.

One of the most popular is BigFooty.

On them, anonymous bloggers ritually attack players for their performances, and the criticisms sometimes carry racial and sexual overtones.
One coach, who did not want to draw attention to his players, yesterday said: "They get real nasty."
The coach said he was aware of one player receiving "particularly scathing" criticism and he had approached the player and asked if he was aware of it.
"Thankfully, he said it didn't matter because he didn't read it, but bloody oath, it could affect the player," the coach said. "It's a serious issue, a major issue.
"Even if one player gets depression, or his form falls away, it could end his career."
One club official last night confirmed the coach had directed some of his players to stop reading sites.
"Yes, we have suggested to some players they avoid online fan sites," the official said.
A football manager from another club said he had addressed the issue with the players.
He also revealed he had warned support staff that if they leaked information to websites, or people knowingly connected to the websites, they would be sacked.
"We have said, 'Whatever you know is not to be passed on to people outside the club'," he said.
He said players had to avoid any scathing critiques.
"It's like critical fan mail, it could do your head in, and it's the same thing with websites.
"You should read some of it, it's rubbish.
"You've got to understand the ego of players and fragility comes with that as well."
Grange yesterday said AFL footballers were in the "culture of celebrities".
"And there's a lot of nasty stuff out there," she said.
She likens it to cyber bullying at schools, where there are alarming cases of bullying bringing on forms of depression and even attempted suicide.
"There's no restriction of what people are able to do with the internet," Grange said.
"Blogging on websites about players is a form of bullying, it's public bullying of people in celebrity positions.
"And the footy players, unless they personally take some course of investigation, have got absolutely no comeback."
Grange said public criticism of players had been addressed, although cyber criticism hadn't specifically been on the agenda.
"We talk to the players about building resilience about feedback and what they need to let through to the keeper, and what's actually value for them and how they make a choice about each," she said.
"We don't specifically focus on websites, but that's going to happen with our digital lifestyle at the minute."
More serious, she said, were players' identities being taken by bloggers.
"The biggest thing I've encountered in my role where it's been a problem is where people take the identity of the player and claim to be making comments on behalf of the player," she said.
"They get obviously quite upset about that."
ANYONE with personal problems can call Lifelineon 131 114; Victorian Statewide Suicide Helpline on 1300 651 251; or Mensline Australia on 1300 789 978.

Interesting read in the herald sun today - also heard a few GV 3rds teams are also trying to limit the players exposure to Bigfooty

• AFL players have been banned from scouring fan websites, for fear the vicious player appraisals could lead to depression.
At one club, support staff also have been threatened with the sack if they are caught blogging or leaking valuable information to the websites.
Labelled "cyber bullying" and "big brother" blogging by the AFL Players' Association, clubs have taken the drastic step of encouraging a boycott of the popular fan sites.
"I wouldn't encourage any players to use them. I think it's for bloggers, and I think it's mostly for titillation rather any decent feedback," AFLPA general manager of psychology, people and culture, Pippa Grange said yesterday.
"It's more your big brother-type trivia.
"I would agree with coaches telling players not to look, but I would also encourage the players not to think of it in any way as criticism - it's just a random sample of people with not much better to do."
Most football clubs have independent supporter websites, including Saintsational, TalkingCarlton, Demonology, Punt Road End, Nick's Collingwood Page and and Bomberblitz.

One of the most popular is BigFooty.

On them, anonymous bloggers ritually attack players for their performances, and the criticisms sometimes carry racial and sexual overtones.
One coach, who did not want to draw attention to his players, yesterday said: "They get real nasty."
The coach said he was aware of one player receiving "particularly scathing" criticism and he had approached the player and asked if he was aware of it.
"Thankfully, he said it didn't matter because he didn't read it, but bloody oath, it could affect the player," the coach said. "It's a serious issue, a major issue.
"Even if one player gets depression, or his form falls away, it could end his career."
One club official last night confirmed the coach had directed some of his players to stop reading sites.
"Yes, we have suggested to some players they avoid online fan sites," the official said.
A football manager from another club said he had addressed the issue with the players.
He also revealed he had warned support staff that if they leaked information to websites, or people knowingly connected to the websites, they would be sacked.
"We have said, 'Whatever you know is not to be passed on to people outside the club'," he said.
He said players had to avoid any scathing critiques.
"It's like critical fan mail, it could do your head in, and it's the same thing with websites.
"You should read some of it, it's rubbish.
"You've got to understand the ego of players and fragility comes with that as well."
Grange yesterday said AFL footballers were in the "culture of celebrities".
"And there's a lot of nasty stuff out there," she said.
She likens it to cyber bullying at schools, where there are alarming cases of bullying bringing on forms of depression and even attempted suicide.
"There's no restriction of what people are able to do with the internet," Grange said.
"Blogging on websites about players is a form of bullying, it's public bullying of people in celebrity positions.
"And the footy players, unless they personally take some course of investigation, have got absolutely no comeback."
Grange said public criticism of players had been addressed, although cyber criticism hadn't specifically been on the agenda.
"We talk to the players about building resilience about feedback and what they need to let through to the keeper, and what's actually value for them and how they make a choice about each," she said.
"We don't specifically focus on websites, but that's going to happen with our digital lifestyle at the minute."
More serious, she said, were players' identities being taken by bloggers.
"The biggest thing I've encountered in my role where it's been a problem is where people take the identity of the player and claim to be making comments on behalf of the player," she said.
"They get obviously quite upset about that."
ANYONE with personal problems can call Lifelineon 131 114; Victorian Statewide Suicide Helpline on 1300 651 251; or Mensline Australia on 1300 789 978.

Interesting read in the herald sun today - also heard a few GV 3rds teams are also trying to limit the players exposure to Bigfooty
All this coming from a newspaper!

What odds will anyone give me for Echuca to Beat Seymour this weekend!!!!!!:thumbsu:

The only thing that could go in echucas favour is thd trip. The lions never seem to take the trip well.
They are just about to hit their straps. Been playing a little below par the past few weeks and should be looking to go into the bye with some better form under their belts.

The only thing that could go in echucas favour is thd trip. The lions never seem to take the trip well.
They are just about to hit their straps. Been playing a little below par the past few weeks and should be looking to go into the bye with some better form under their belts.
can anyone tell me when was the last time Seymour played Echuca in Seymour. I can not recall the last time i seen these two teams meet in a home & away game at kings park, and if it has been a while why:confused:

Are there any facilities in the GV better than Tat? Great social rooms, 2 good outdoor toilet facilities, good change rooms, always warm showers. Don't think ShepSwans or Mansfield have any of these. Mansfield big:thumbsu: is that they have a good play area for kids. My bro' plays in the Hume League and says nearly every club has a kids play area between the football and netball areas. At Tat we have a road! Kyabram has great social rooms and lighting. Mooropna good change rooms, 2 food kiosks. I Haven't played yet at Deakin, Seymour or at Benalla since upgrades a couple of years back. I guess if we could get similar lighting to Ky's and a great kids play area to attract families to the games then the gate takings and memberships will start flowing in..... :)

i agree with the thumbs up for the play areas for the young kids and it does attract a more of a family environment, but that would have to be the only positive for the mansfield footy ground, for starters the ground is a hill and no bigger than a postage stamp but that isnt the real issue, the visiting change rooms are atrocious how can you prepare for a game and warm up in the toilets of the local swimming pool, its just wrong, before mansfield came into the gv the visiting rooms were fine next to the home teams, but since they renovated and knocked a wall down to make the home teams rooms twice the size and ship the visitors off to the dunnies is sh!thouse,

i hope im wrong in saying all this and there have been changes made to the visiting changerooms beacuse its long overdue

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah but Mansfield's a hole, what much more would you expect?
Apparently we are looking for a new home ground though, because the current one is too small to reach new GVFL size regulations or something like that.

yeah they are some good facilities.. Luke is going alright, played 2's this week as he was coming back from injury, but played really well in the 2's. so i'd imagine he will be back in ones next week.. top bloke too, i think he's happy here at tat.. but im sure your welcome to merge over to tat!!

with the state tat is in at the minute wouldnt think it is to long b4 he is back in the 1s i thought he was one of the better players for them last year and he was good against the swans round 1 from what i saw. he is pretty good overhead which is prob what they lack tat.

before mansfield came into the gv the visiting rooms were fine next to the home teams, but since they renovated and knocked a wall down to make the home teams rooms twice the size and ship the visitors off to the dunnies is sh!thouse,

That's what I could never work out, was sure I could remember the visitors rooms being fine back before Mansfield joined the GV. Always assumed that's what they had done but never really knew.

That's what I could never work out, was sure I could remember the visitors rooms being fine back before Mansfield joined the GV. Always assumed that's what they had done but never really knew.

Last time I was there we had to change in the swimming pool change rooms

One for the Seymour boys, how is Paul Scanlon coming along? Doesn't seem to be having the impact he has had the last few years though, not to say his presence isn't there or is in bad form. Just an update?

Speeking of Saad Saad, the Pies would be dissapointed looking at it now that hadn't taken an extra forward on their VFL list in 2008.

Haven seen most of our boys games this year, I think Rochy look the goods thus far, but we aren't even half way yet, just waiting for my boy Murphy to get his hands on the footy a little more and slot a few more. However I don't think we are far off the mark this year.
scanlons just cruising plays hes best footy when it counts. brendan liddell is not in the rep squad is he injured

www.shepponline.com.au are posting some good stuff on their website. Worth a read for those without an expensive Shep News Subscription

around the valley
with graeme byrns

GVFL ROUNDUP
The GVFL is starting to take shape as to the will's and the wont's to play finals after round 6, Seymour with another battle against a courageous and desperate Mansfield, that's 3 weeks in a row the Lions have had to dig deep to win from late in the game, will find out if they are as good as last year when they come up against big improvers Mooroopna in round 9, Shane Schottner has been in their top 3 every week and must be an early front runner for the Morrison Medal (see the betting later in the column),Tim Hooper, Paul Scanlon, Luke Stevenson and Matt Penn have been consistent and with the high flying full forward SAAD SAAD averaging over 6.5 goals per game all looks well for the southern most club.

MOOROOPNA with the "three muskuteers" from Heidelberg, MARCUS DEAN, CHRIS WHELAN & RUSSELL LEE all performing and improved form of STEVE COX, MICHAEL BARCA, NATHAN TWEDDLE & DAN COLLYER together with ROB OSBORNE back in attack kicking goals all is looking rosy at the CATS, "HER INDOORS" has told me to beware of "marauding cats" so with her wisdom and football knowledge I am not game to punt the other way its lonely in the spare room on the farm so we can on form put these two on top.

The big DANGER in capital letters is most certainly ROCHESTER, this week they come up against MOOPOOPNA after excellent wins against SWANS, EUROA, SHEPP BEARS and ECHUCA its all on the line, they have recruited well with former SANDHURST player and star BEN DEUSCHER & ex Bendigo Bomber SAM O'BRIEN TOGETHER with the improved form of ASH WATSON, ELLIOT BOWEN, DEAN CUTTRISS & the OLIVER BOYS PERRY & KAHL all is heading for finals appearances, after being so close with so much promise in previous seasons, about 4.45 this Saturday we will know are ROCHESTER real challengers or are they just another good side.

LOOK OUT WE ARE COMING "or are we"
You would think if a side had won more quarters than their opposition, had two players in the top 7 for the league goalkicking honors, had a percentage of nearly 115, was in the top six for points for and in the top six for best defense that team would be in the top group in ladder considerations, well no is the answer they are actually in eighth place and 2 games out of the six, so my tip is based on revealing facts, as they settle their team & with their new coach KYABRAM & DAVE WILLIAMS will shape the six if not be there at finals time.

INTERLEAGUE its only a week away
With one week to go it is interesting to see do the GVFL really want to win the Champs there are only 36 players selected with several others who should be not, now those guys not in the original squad have probably arranged to go away that weekend and if the injury & unavailable list grows we could be down to 26 players to run the whole weekend, the O & M picked a squad of 53, the Ballarat League selected a base squad of 60 and the Hampden League have now trimmed back to 41, these players all know they may be playing so be available that weekend, my belief is we should have picked a large squad to cover ourselves "too late she cried as the cookie crumbles around us" The best example of a interleague footballer not being picked is MARK JANSZ Euroa's star forward who leads the league goalkicking with 43, part time ruckman, can play half forward, wing or where ever, whoops!! This guy should have been first picked or asked not only a great footballer but a top bloke as well as being DAFFY LAMARO's favorite import next to son HAYDON of course and imagine the GVFL forward line SAAD SAAD next to MARK "biscuit" JANSZ .

EARLY MORRISON MEDAL VOTING
Shane Schottner SEYMOUR, Shane Clayton EUROA,vGuy Campbell ECHUCA favorites at 4.80

Ben Deuscher ROCHESTER, Mark Jansz EUROA, Paul Newman KYABRAM, Paul Scanlon SEYMOUR
Ash Watson ROCHESTER, all at $6.50

Simon Russell MOOROOPNA, Matt Storer MANSFIELD, Joe Percovic UNITED,
Nick Allan HSEPPARTON, , Chris Atkins KYABRAM all at $7.50

Elliot Bowen ROCHESTER not included due to suspension

JOKE OF THE WEEK
Well known footballer had a big night out after a win and thinking he was home home was found trying to put his front door key in a street light pole as a policeman approached and said to the footballer "Sorry sir but there appears to be no one home" the tipsy footballer replied now "I don't want to call a policeman a fiber but surely you can see there is someone home because there is a light on in the upstairs window...boom boom.

THOUGHT OF THE WEEK
Tact is the art of making guests feel at home when all the time they are at you home you are wishing they were at home theirs ( how does it feel)

The best example of a interleague footballer not being picked is MARK JANSZ Euroa's star forward who leads the league goalkicking with 43, part time ruckman, can play half forward, wing or where ever, whoops!! This guy should have been first picked or asked not only a great footballer but a top bloke as well as being DAFFY LAMARO's favorite import next to son HAYDON of course and imagine the GVFL forward line SAAD SAAD next to MARK "biscuit" JANSZ .

Just throwing this one out there to see what others opinions may be, but Jansz seems to kick bags of goals against the lower sides, but not enough against the stronger sides.

Just throwing this one out there to see what others opinions may be, but Jansz seems to kick bags of goals against the lower sides, but not enough against the stronger sides.
Good call!
He kicked 12 & 13 against Tatura & Shepparton. Easy to kick goals when your playing the bottom sides and winning easy.

But wait, did you check up before you posted that crap?
5 goals out of 10 in a loss to Rochester.
7 against Mansfield at Mansfield.
And 5 out of 7 against Echuca.
Only kicked 1 at Seymour but they are easily the best side in the GV.
So unless your basing your post on who Euroa have not played do some reaserch and stop posting crap like that!
So what is your opinion?

Good call!
He kicked 12 & 13 against Tatura & Shepparton. Easy to kick goals when your playing the bottom sides and winning easy.

But wait, did you check up before you posted that crap?
5 goals out of 10 in a loss to Rochester.
7 against Mansfield at Mansfield.
And 5 out of 7 against Echuca.
Only kicked 1 at Seymour but they are easily the best side in the GV.
So unless your basing your post on who Euroa have not played do some reaserch and stop posting crap like that!
So what is your opinion?

Wow, most intelligent thing you've posted thus far!!! :thumbsu:

The big fella is in great form and really stepping up to cover the hole left by hyatt (and Grainger out injured). He's kicked good totals against some good sides and smashed some crap ones as well, which is hardly his fault..

can anyone tell me when was the last time Seymour played Echuca in Seymour. I can not recall the last time i seen these two teams meet in a home & away game at kings park, and if it has been a while why:confused:

Echuca last played in seymour in 2003 - a disgrace by the league

The big fella is in great form and really stepping up to cover the hole left by hyatt (and Grainger out injured). He's kicked good totals against some good sides and smashed some crap ones as well, which is hardly his fault..

Will be interesting to see how he goes this weekend. My guess is he wont add much to his total!
If you look at who he's played on when he's kicked goals, He is hard to match up on as he is tall and athletic. If you have someone similar to him, as Seymour and hopefully Swans do this weekend it should quieten him down a big.

All credit to the big fella, he's playing very well, How many weeks til Graingers back giving him a hand down there?

Maybe the first time some intelligence has come from you. Just because you dont like or dont know what I have to post doesnt mean its not intelligent!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back