Graham Polak. Recruit of the year so far.

Remove this Banner Ad

no he wouldnt. He had 4 years to do something and did sweet FA. Played a couple of good games for port so far but starting to fade as usual.

Yes he would.
Rodan has been very good this year. There are only a few players on your list that have had better years than him. You would love to have him back playing the sort of footy he is now.

no he wouldnt. He had 4 years to do something and did sweet FA. Played a couple of good games for port so far but starting to fade as usual.

WTF. Polak had plenty of time to show something at Freo and did Sweet FA. As did Rodan. This year Rodan>>>>>Polak. Dont get too excited about a bloke who has been ok in a VFL mid table standard side. Even Deledio looks ok at Richmond.

sorry, rodan is rubbish. I stand by that.

Rodan isn't rubbish. I always had high hopes for Rodan and liked him. Under Frawley everyone looked crap so he only had the 1 year under Wallace where he was coming off a knee-reco. Nearly all players struggle the next year after doing their knee. Can't believe we didn't give him at least another year. Is still young, is so clean, quick and evasive; crumbs beautifully and was always going to improve. His only weakness being his kicking which is still reasonable though. Very short-sighted once again by the Tiges. :thumbsdown:

GO TIGES!!!

The 'not playing in a winning team yet' is well pointed out but the 2nd point you bring up is pretty stupid. Not one of your smartest comments. Does it hurt that bad that Freo let him go?

GO TIGES!!!

Nope , A new broom always sweeps clean, I still can't see who he would replace in our team He would take , when Murphy (better kick ) and Campbell (better kick and more physical) can't get a game.

Polly was excellent for us in his first full year , from then on it was mainly all downhill.

I always stuck up for him however and I do hope that he keeps himself on the rails.

Not true was probably one of Ports best last night and snagged a couple of goals. Polak has been good but as far as recruit of the year goes he wouldn't be blowing wind up Rodans arse.

Rodan seems to be getting good numbers possession-wise, and it doesn't hurt him to be surrounded by blokes like Burgoyne (X2) and Cornes (X2) in the Port midfield. I suspect that Dave might just be enjoying a honeymoon period with the supporters like he did in his first year with the Tigers when he played all 22 games, though. He was the golden boy for season 2002 at Tigerland, but declined markedly in his 2nd, 3rd and 4th seasons to the point of downright frustration.

Good on him though if he can maintain some consistency over the next few years. If he plays 20 great games a year and a couple of shockers against the Tiges, I'll be as happy as Larry.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was ordinary today ...played well against us though

Yeah, he wasn't great today and his kicking is letting him down, lost a bit of confidence with his kicking and needs to work on it a bit.

Was hard for our foward line today given there were at times 15 Saints players in our forward 50. :p

He would have been great with Thompson at FF, he is just unlucky that he injured himself in the pre-season and he has to cop the best defender, and sometimes half the opposition side in his face. :p

Three pages in, and no-one's mentioned a guy who was a clear BOG and difference between the sides yesterday: P. Everitt. Has played alright in quite a few other games as well.

Polak's been good, as has Rodan. I'd be loathe to call someone drafted from the VFL (Edwards) a 'recruit'. Different roles all of them, so hard to compare. But Everitt can notch up at least one win to his efforts; Polak certainly can't do that yet!

Three pages in, and no-one's mentioned a guy who was a clear BOG and difference between the sides yesterday: P. Everitt. Has played alright in quite a few other games as well.

Polak's been good, as has Rodan. I'd be loathe to call someone drafted from the VFL (Edwards) a 'recruit'. Different roles all of them, so hard to compare. But Everitt can notch up at least one win to his efforts; Polak certainly can't do that yet!

Everitt can also notch up a loss (last week) to his efforts.

Rubbish. Everitt didn't lose that game, rushed behind notwithstanding. He was one of Sydney's better players and a reason why they managed to stay close to Essendon.

If he took the mark instead of being dumb you wouldn't have lost.

I know there were a couple of other instances you could cite as an excuse (such as fat point posts and out of bounds not called), but Everitt was solely to blame for his stuff up (not a ground manager or umpire).

Does anyone have a reason why players leave Freo and get better, I'm not having a stab at Freo, but it seems to be a common theme...

Not really a common theme, more of a fallacy I'd say.

Polak's doing the same thing he shined for us doing - playing third man up in the backline. Struggles when you give him a job on a man or up forward. And any improvement in him can largely be attributed to getting away from his high school mates and all the distractions that entailed.

White is no better than he showed he was going to be while at Freo.

Ditto with McPhee. Natural progression from the signs he displayed for Freo. Just gets much more attention because he's at the Bombers now.

Sinclair hasn't improved since he left Freo and Brown has gone backwards if anything.

Holland or Medders haven't improved any either. They just get more press now they're at Collingwood.

Abraham played the same at North as he did at Freo. It was just people only recognized his enigmatic talent once he was at a Vic club.

Koops and particularly Callaghan both showed a bit at Freo. Both died in the arse as soon as they were traded.

The only two who've showed genuine improvement once traded have been Bell and Clement. And I'm a firm believer that even if Clement had played the same at Freo as he does for the Pies he wouldn't be rated so highly and would never have gotten AA. Witness Farmer last year kicking 50 goals but still being overlooked for AA in favour of Didak.

Bad decision on Freo's behalf to let him go....

big mistake.

We didn't want him to go. He threatened to walk if we didn't trade him.

Not really a common theme, more of a fallacy I'd say.

Polak's doing the same thing he shined for us doing - playing third man up in the backline. Struggles when you give him a job on a man or up forward. And any improvement in him can largely be attributed to getting away from his high school mates and all the distractions that entailed.

White is no better than he showed he was going to be while at Freo.

Ditto with McPhee. Natural progression from the signs he displayed for Freo. Just gets much more attention because he's at the Bombers now.

Sinclair hasn't improved since he left Freo and Brown has gone backwards if anything.

Holland or Medders haven't improved any either. They just get more press now they're at Collingwood.

Abraham played the same at North as he did at Freo. It was just people only recognized his enigmatic talent once he was at a Vic club.

Koops and particularly Callaghan both showed a bit at Freo. Both died in the arse as soon as they were traded.

The only two who've showed genuine improvement once traded have been Bell and Clement. And I'm a firm believer that even if Clement had played the same at Freo as he does for the Pies he wouldn't be rated so highly and would never have gotten AA. Witness Farmer last year kicking 50 goals but still being overlooked for AA in favour of Didak.

We didn't want him to go. He threatened to walk if we didn't trade him.

Nobody said the players were better at another club, they said your club was stupid for getting rid of them. :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Graham Polak. Recruit of the year so far.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back