Toast Graham Wright

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour on another site was that at the end of last season GW told the Board that the club needed to move on several veterans but this was vetoed by the Board. He again raised the issue and was shut down hence tendering his resignation.

Not sure how true this is.

But I don’t like what our President has said today in the media. If GW doesn’t come back then we need to find a replacement for him ASAP.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

He's gone. You don't hand in your resignation then go on a year long holiday with the intention of returning to the club you wanted to leave.
If that is the case it is a disgrace rhe role was not replaced properly at the start of season.
Browne has stuffed us royally

If that is the case it is a disgrace rhe role was not replaced properly at the start of season.
Browne has stuffed us royally
Disagree.
We’ve kept the door open with an AFL admin talent whilst at the same time using the opportunity to retain and develop Leppitsch, Bolton, Wade and likely others.

We’ve looked after a valued staff member’s mental health and family life and demonstrated a normal part of a contemporary modern workplace.

And last I checked, Wright has yet to confirm he’s leaving permanently or otherwise.

Disagree.
We’ve kept the door open with an AFL admin talent whilst at the same time using the opportunity to retain and develop Leppitsch, Bolton, Wade and likely others.

We’ve looked after a valued staff member’s mental health and family life and demonstrated a normal part of a contemporary modern workplace.

And last I checked, Wright has yet to confirm he’s leaving permanently or otherwise.

On the flip side you could contend that the mental health of those staff members is put at risk with an increased workload.

Especially when you take into account that the line coaches such as Bolton changed.

He's gone. You don't hand in your resignation then go on a year long holiday with the intention of returning to the club you wanted to leave.

You could be right.

A man's view of life and work can change during a long sabbatical in Europe. Especially so with a guy Wright's age.

On the flip side you could contend that the mental health of those staff members is put at risk with an increased workload.

Especially when you take into account that the line coaches such as Bolton changed.
Jean Luc, you don’t know if work load increased.
Bolton certainly isn’t taking training as he used to.
I don’t even know if there was a mental health side to this, but he clearly wanted some lifestyle time with his wife.

Regardless, these guys are in a high performance environment and should be able to deal with change given support.
I don’t think there is any risk in this.

Crikey, we’re playing shit at the moment. It happens. Why do people have to dramatise it in extremis?

I don’t like it either, but I’m not about to start cheering for Sydney.

Disagree.

Agree - to me the interview is more about how GW fits within the new structure. And I have no doubt as a knowledgeable and highly capable operator he would have input into these changes.
Therefore the chances of him not returning are slim, because he would not have strung the club along otherwise.
He would have left and allowed us plenty of time to find a replacement.

Agree - to me the interview is more about how GW fits within the new structure. And I have no doubt as a knowledgeable and highly capable operator he would have input into these changes.
Therefore the chances of him not returning are slim, because he would not have strung the club along otherwise.
He would have left and allowed us plenty of time to find a replacement.
Hmmm…
We did decline his resignation, so if he doesn’t return it’s kind of on us.
Regardless, I’m sure we will find a suitable replacement if he moves on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you think we would have given him time off without a high level of certainty that he would return?
I doubt we’re that unprofessional.
Replace the word "certainty" with "hope".

I've said from the very start that it looked like the statement about him returning to the club was "smoke and mirrors" to appease the members.

The CFC Board ‘declining’ Wright’s resignation is bemusing. You can’t refuse the resignation of an employee, but you can get down on your knees and beg them to reconsider, roll out a truckload of extra salary and benefits, and maybe promise a greatly elevated new position. Our Board possibly did a combination of all three.

Hard to know where and how Wright will fit back into the structure, unless we have a major restructure.

We’ve been innovative in Fly’s time, and while he’s ‘only’ the senior coach, innovation has a way of catching on.

It’s the modern Collingwood way (I hope).

GW made the right call to offer his resignation as not fair to expect the club to support his leave. When they agreed to sabbatical, it would be highly expected he returns but potentially in an adjusted role. For mine I hope remains involved in some manner, as I finally had some confidence in the football operation decisions through 21-23, after years of stuffups.

We need to find the “best available” replacement, to match GW’s competence.
Not sure that person is already at the Club.
Browne is already talking about a role where he (Wright) would have to fit into the new structures.

We need to find the “best available” replacement, to match GW’s competence.
Not sure that person is already at the Club.

We've got a couple of ex-coaches. Head Coach seems like a pretty good thing to have on the resume of a head of footy - seems a better fit than what Gw arrived with - Head of recruiting. I wouldn't be concerned if Leppa or Bolton was promoted.

We've got a couple of ex-coaches. Head Coach seems like a pretty good thing to have on the resume of a head of footy - seems a better fit than what Gw arrived with - Head of recruiting. I wouldn't be concerned if Leppa or Bolton was promoted.
Do either have the knowledge and networks and experience of GW - it’s not an issues if he’s their as mentor.
If not then I’d say we need to find a best available.

Last edited:
We got 3 seasons out of Wright.

How many years of service did he give Hawthorn?

Kind of pissed off with him to be honest and by extension the club if we've basically known all along it was highly unlikely he would return to his GM of football position.

If our next GM of football is going to be appointed without a proper search being conducted and simply come from those already within the 4 walls, then a smell of nepotism is in the air.

As it stands now both Leppitsch and Bolton were hired due to their assistant coaching records and identified strengths contained within those roles. The jury is still out about their ability to take on and succeed in a more off field role.

In order to cover for the abscence of Wright and subsquently the new roles of the two named above, we elevated others to line coaches.

One of those in Roughead was a development coach last season, Skipworth and Selwood combined to coach the midfield together, while Bolton had the defence and Leppitsch the forward line.

In a season where we were looking to capitalise on last seasons Premiership success we effectively removed our two most decorated assistants, gave the two assistants who had combined previously the responsibility of seperate roles and elevated the development coach to oversee our defence.

I'm not going to blame all our troubles on them obviously but when you see it all written down is it any surprise we've looked a mess at times this season?

That's a hell of a lot of change in the one off season and all to a coaching panel that just combined for Premiership success.

I feel we might well have just kicked an own goal.

Rumour on another site was that at the end of last season GW told the Board that the club needed to move on several veterans but this was vetoed by the Board. He again raised the issue and was shut down hence tendering his resignation.

Not sure how true this is.

It’s not the role of the board to meddle in list management strategy. IMO our board is experienced enough to not get bogged down in the weeds on that.

However, it is the role of the board to provide accountability and oversight over those who do. IMO there’s every chance that the board reviewed the strategy and decided that either the list management strategy wasn’t aligned with the club’s strategic direction (eg: how do you balance the competing priorities of sustaining immediate success versus building long term success?) , or that the list management strategy represented some form of unacceptable / unmanaged / unmanageable risk.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Graham Wright

Remove this Banner Ad

Back