VFLW Grand Final - Cats vs Hawks, Sun 23 Sep 2018 @ 12:30 pm Etihad Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

At every level we made finals, and at every level we did not have an effective forward setup. Method? Personnel? Co-incidence?

It's still the thing I think we should be honing in on as a number one focus over the off-season. Not sure Gary Rohan will prove to be a cure-all either...

At every level we made finals, and at every level we did not have an effective forward setup. Method? Personnel? Co-incidence?

It's still the thing I think we should be honing in on as a number one focus over the off-season. Not sure Gary Rohan will prove to be a cure-all either...

Not sure our forward setup was the biggest problem today - we were able to get the ball forward, locked the ball in there but failed to convert & make the most of our chances.

Last week against Collingwood we had similar conversion problems at times, though we did kick a few more goals - biggest difference is that we didn't let Collingwood score for 2 quarters.

Today we struggled to hold a mark, and that was across the field - they seemed to miss-time their jumps etc, and not sure if that was due to playing under the roof and not used to the conditions.

Well that was a disappointing end to the season.
Congratulations to Hawthorn, clearly the better side on the day, played with skill and cohesion.

Disappointment today, but Geelong has had a really good season, making the GF after finishing 4th. Won two finals against opponents who we'd lost to and drawn with respectively - couldn't get over the Hawks today; they accounted for the Cats during the H&A season too.

I loved Hannah Burchell's game today, that's the best I've seen her play - positioned herself really well, used her pace and kicked strongly.

Olivia Purcell is a stone-cold competitor and was close to our best player, gets to the feet of the rucks and wins plenty of clearances.

Nina Morrison got better as the game went on, and she'll learn a ton from today.

Cassie Blakeway played the best game I've seen her play this year; she was great last season but has been a bit down on confidence/form - she really put her body on the line today and took 3-4 marks backing into oncoming traffic.

Good learning experience for our key position players today too; all were a bit down on their usual effectiveness.

Not sure our forward setup was the biggest problem today - we were able to get the ball forward, locked the ball in there but failed to convert & make the most of our chances.

Last week against Collingwood we had similar conversion problems at times, though we did kick a few more goals - biggest difference is that we didn't let Collingwood score for 2 quarters.

Today we struggled to hold a mark, and that was across the field - they seemed to miss-time their jumps etc, and not sure if that was due to playing under the roof and not used to the conditions.
To me it looked like there were several times during the game that we had clear breaks and were unable to even generate a scoring shot out of it, because of where the forwards and defenders were positioned up the ground as well as how those encounters played out.

This is why Clifford ended up kicking our goals - there was a plan in how best to get the ball to her, she took some marks and scored. I didn't think we had a single other forward that looked threatening in any aspect of their game. I wouldn't have seen it in as clear detail as someone who was actually there, though.

The VFL website is still showing the match as live & hasn't provided final stats yet, so this is the closest at the moment:

Geelong young guns Nina Morrison (20 disposals and a game-high six inside-50s) and Olivia Purcell(19 and game-highs of 10 tackles and eight clearances) were their team’s most prolific players in defeat.

Madeline Keryk (16 disposals and eight tackles), Richelle Cranston (15 and seven clearances) and Maddy McMahon (14 and 23 hitouts) were similarly hard-nosed in contests as the Cats won the clearance count and generated 34 inside-50s to 24, but Hawthorn’s suffocating pressure – the Hawks won the tackle count 84-78 – helped minimise the effectiveness of a talented Geelong forward line

Good to see a couple is youngsters leading the way - now we just have to secure them in the draft

http://vfl.com.au/review-vfl-womens-grand-final-2018/

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just like the AFL seniors - GFC disease?
To score 4 points across the second and third quarters was the killer.

The Hawks dominated the second quarter and we limited the scoreboard damage to a single goal - the margin did go from 2 at quarter time to 11, but could have easily been 3 or 4 goals was their dominance.

In the 3rd quarter the ball was locked in our forward half of the ground and we failed to take advantage of it, and that was due to poor goal kicking. We should have received a 50m penalty - we were awarded a free kick in our 50m, the Hawks player who had the ball just dropped it in the ground after the umpire stopped play, the next Hawks player who picked it up "returned" it to the Geelong player with a direct, hard throw into the guts; there's no team bias to call for a 50m as that's in the rules about returning the ball on the full.

Having dominated 95% of the quarter we saw a return of 4 behinds, and at the death of the quarter & what took less than 60 seconds, the Hawks took the ball the length of the field & kicked a goal - pretty frustrating to control the quarter & still lose on the score board.

Last edited:
The VFL website is still showing the match as live & hasn't provided final stats yet, so this is the closest at the moment:

Good to see a couple is youngsters leading the way - now we just have to secure them in the draft

http://vfl.com.au/review-vfl-womens-grand-final-2018/

Any from the VFL side that you'd like to see picked up by the Cats, C09?

I've mentioned McMahon throughout the year, she was ok again today - I also like defenders Bec Pearce and Elise Coventry, all three are a good size with good skills and can take a grab. I reckon we could and should find a way to get at least two of those players on to the list.

To me it looked like there were several times during the game that we had clear breaks and were unable to even generate a scoring shot out of it, because of where the forwards and defenders were positioned up the ground as well as how those encounters played out.

This is why Clifford ended up kicking our goals - there was a plan in how best to get the ball to her, she took some marks and scored. I didn't think we had a single other forward that looked threatening in any aspect of their game. I wouldn't have seen it in as clear detail as someone who was actually there, though.

Totally understand what you're saying, but I think in some of those instances it was more down to us just not being clean, fumbling the ball or being intent on taking possession rather than just trying to get the ball forward.

Both teams seemed to have their struggles clearing the ball from the oppositions forward 50, as we both seemed to keep our forward/s in or around their own forward 50 when the ball was at the oppositions end (kinda zone like, "you must have 'x' number of players in your own half a the ground at all times"); and both would also keep a couple of players loose behind the ball when it was within their own forward 50, each team flooded back in defence to block up the 50m but it also made it harder to clear the ball when you took possession - so teams had to be either very precise with kicking out from the defensive end or try to run it out. And that's the reason why both teams continued to generate repeat entries.

Our key forwards in Darby & Boyd looked good last week, held onto their marks & were strong when we went forward. Today they struggled, I think that Hawthorn had their structures & plans in place for how to combat them & they executed them really well, meaning we had to find alternative options and hence why Clifford because a key target.

Ultimately though, I'd say it was our composure in the forward line & in front of goal was our biggest problem, and really it has been all year when you look at our scores throughout the season, with a season total of 99 goals to 117 behinds - it was inaccurate kicking that cost us today because the final scoring tally was 10 scoring shots to 9.

Any from the VFL side that you'd like to see picked up by the Cats, C09?

I've mentioned McMahon throughout the year, she was ok again today - I also like defenders Bec Pearce and Elise Coventry, all three are a good size with good skills and can take a grab. I reckon we could and should find a way to get at least two of those players on to the list.

I think the hardest part of that task, is that of those who played today we already have a number of them on our list, some are on other teams lists, while it's expected that we would already be looking to draft Purcell & Morrison if they nominate Geelong.

I'm going to be very bias & say Pearce - I'm friends with her uncle, I used to work with him & caught up with him today during the match. He said she hasn't mentioned anything about being drafted or nominating for the draft at this stage, but watching her the last couple of weeks I'd say she should put her hand up. I thought her first half was strong today, did some good things in defence when we were under a lot of pressure.

McMahon is a good size and has stood up the last couple of weeks without Erin Hoare available, and when you consider that Hoare will be undergoing surgery on her foot next week, she could be good back-up option to have on the list.

Maybe Laura Taylor also - 13 matches during the season (between rounds 2 & last weeks preliminary final), and was dropped for Morrison to return. You don't play 13 matches if there's not something there

Despite the noise from the AFL womens football has got along way to go. Not broadcast on Ch7 and hardly mentioned on any radio news.
Still a long way to go with the GFC too. Despite this team going further than the two blokes side not much mention from the club-eg go to watch the. And nothing from the blokes who held up their Mad Monday for the seniors until the 2's had played then wacky Wed. Didn't wait until the women had finished- will they hold round two of dress ups this week?

Despite the noise from the AFL womens football has got along way to go. Not broadcast on Ch7 and hardly mentioned on any radio news.
Still a long way to go with the GFC too. Despite this team going further than the two blokes side not much mention from the club-eg go to watch the. And nothing from the blokes who held up their Mad Monday for the seniors until the 2's had played then wacky Wed. Didn't wait until the women had finished- will they hold round two of dress ups this week?

Totally agree about the AFL & Channel 7 - pathetic to have no television coverage, especially as they televised the match last year.

Can't agree with criticism of the club though - I get weekly emails with updates about the womens team, the womens team have their own twitter handle @GeelongVFLW, and the clubs official twitter handle @GeelongCats tends to repost everything that is posted by the VFLW team. Social media provides a lot of updates, more than can be provided via email, and the Geelong Addy has also been really good this week.

Before the match today I was talking with the parents of one of our younger, but currently injured VFLW players and they praised the likes of Cook & Danger for attending games, especially the 2 finals at Port Melbourne. I've also seen both Selwood & Danger on social media promoting the match and stuff.

And as for Mad Monday/Wacky Wednesday - I don't know of too many clubs where they have multiple teams & especially both mens & womens teams where they all unite for end of season celebrations. I'm sure the women will get together to do something, but it may well be next weekend especially as most of the players will probably have work commitments during the week.

Cursed_Cat, maybe another one to add to the potential draft list:

while Madeline Keryk’s 15 disposals and eight marks should see the Cats offer the former Carlton midfielder an AFLW lifeline next month.

I didn't realise that Keryk had been delisted by Carlton - if that is the case then surely she would get a look in.

Cursed_Cat, maybe another one to add to the potential draft list:

while Madeline Keryk’s 15 disposals and eight marks should see the Cats offer the former Carlton midfielder an AFLW lifeline next month.

I didn't realise that Keryk had been delisted by Carlton - if that is the case then surely she would get a look in.

yes Keryk had a good finals series, thought she was good last week too.

I think the hardest part of that task, is that of those who played today we already have a number of them on our list, some are on other teams lists, while it's expected that we would already be looking to draft Purcell & Morrison if they nominate Geelong.

I'm going to be very bias & say Pearce - I'm friends with her uncle, I used to work with him & caught up with him today during the match. He said she hasn't mentioned anything about being drafted or nominating for the draft at this stage, but watching her the last couple of weeks I'd say she should put her hand up. I thought her first half was strong today, did some good things in defence when we were under a lot of pressure.

McMahon is a good size and has stood up the last couple of weeks without Erin Hoare available, and when you consider that Hoare will be undergoing surgery on her foot next week, she could be good back-up option to have on the list.

Maybe Laura Taylor also - 13 matches during the season (between rounds 2 & last weeks preliminary final), and was dropped for Morrison to return. You don't play 13 matches if there's not something there

I don't think I'd seen much of Pearce prior to last week but she has talent. Good overhead, good kick and composed.

If we take Morrison and Purcell at 1 & 2 as suspected, that still leaves us with 7 list spots to fill .. we would still have 4 selections in the top 24 picks which we could use on any junior who nominates either Geelong or the whole of Victoria.
Then perhaps 3 late selections on mature agers already playing in the VFLW side; if they are advised prior to the draft that we will list them then they can solely nominate Geelong and we can round out the list late in the draft.

Totally agree about the AFL & Channel 7 - pathetic to have no television coverage, especially as they televised the match last year.

Can't agree with criticism of the club though - I get weekly emails with updates about the womens team, the womens team have their own twitter handle @GeelongVFLW, and the clubs official twitter handle @GeelongCats tends to repost everything that is posted by the VFLW team. Social media provides a lot of updates, more than can be provided via email, and the Geelong Addy has also been really good this week.

Before the match today I was talking with the parents of one of our younger, but currently injured VFLW players and they praised the likes of Cook & Danger for attending games, especially the 2 finals at Port Melbourne. I've also seen both Selwood & Danger on social media promoting the match and stuff.

And as for Mad Monday/Wacky Wednesday - I don't know of too many clubs where they have multiple teams & especially both mens & womens teams where they all unite for end of season celebrations. I'm sure the women will get together to do something, but it may well be next weekend especially as most of the players will probably have work commitments during the week.
Yes of course the women have to go to work, quite forgot that.
As for the club what I meant was some noise from them about not broadcasting the game. Hate Eddie we may but he does stand up for his club and team. Little comes from our mob about anything at all really-number of games at home, location of games, player reports and suspensions as just a few that we might like them to stand up for and loudly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back