Greatest Ever Crow: Ricciuto vs McLeod ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Chewy

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 16, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Both champions in the truest sense. Probably the only Crows that rival fans would applaud. Clearly the best performed Adelaide players since the Crows entered the competition in 1991. I'm interested who people (especially Crows fans) think has been better over the journey.

Please don't quote meaningless career stats such as Brownlows and All-Australian jumpers. Ricciuto obviously wins hands down on that score, but in my opinion has been a tad lucky in a few of those years. Conversely McLeod could easily have been picked for at least 2-3 more All-Australian teams and should have won a Brownlow.

Imagine it was 10 years ago. You can choose only one of them.

roostersgal4eva said:
thats a toughy...

to make it more tough i would say its down to 4 - Ricciuto, McLeod, Rehn, Hart...

Id say Benny just

Just curious.... why you say Ben Hart?

• Banned
Stiffy_18 said:
10 Years ago McLeod was a youngster finding his way while Roo had AA under his belt.

And 8 years ago McLeod was BOG in a Grand Final and the following year practically won the Grand Final off his own boot (or hands). Sure Ricciuto was an early developer - he was a monster even as a teenager - that's why I ask who people think has been better over the journey.

Different players, sure... Consistency vs Brilliance. Leadership vs Individual flair. Toughness vs Genius. Both have played around 240-250 games.

I'll opt for McLeod. A lot of the Ricciuto mystique has come from learned ex-players and current players praising him for his obvious qualities and his reputation has snowballed. Don't get me wrong, I've seen Roo destroy sides often enough, but I've personally witnessed some unbelievable deeds by McLeod, going right back to his shaved-head days.

I've never really heard other players praise McLeod. There is some sort of professional jealousy against true talent or freakishness. Players like this often get criticised for not producing amazing feats each game, as if playing inspired football every other week is a weakness and not a plus.

Chewy said:
And 8 years ago McLeod was BOG in a Grand Final and the following year practically won the Grand Final off his own boot (or hands). Sure Ricciuto was an early developer - he was a monster even as a teenager - that's why I ask who people think has been better over the journey.

Different players, sure... Consistency vs Brilliance. Leadership vs Individual flair. Toughness vs Genius. Both have played around 240-250 games.

I'll opt for McLeod. A lot of the Ricciuto mystique has come from learned ex-players and current players praising him for his obvious qualities and his reputation has snowballed. Don't get me wrong, I've seen Roo destroy sides often enough, but I've personally witnessed some unbelievable deeds by McLeod, going right back to his shaved-head days.

I've never really heard other players praise McLeod. There is some sort of professional jealousy against true talent or freakishness. Players like this often get criticised for not producing amazing feats each game, as if playing inspired football every other week is a weakness and not a plus.

8 years ago (1997) Mark Ricciuto was leading the Brownlow medal by 5 votes after round 16, then his season ended when he needed a hernia operation after the Brisbane Lions game.

Andrew McLeod was virtually unknown in the superstar bracket until Malcolm Blight chucked him in the middle in the second half of the preliminary final vs. the Dogs. He was a vital cog in the comeback victory against the Western Bulldogs and then won the first of his two Norm Smith Medals.

For the record I would have to select Mark Ricciuto but that decision was made with virtually no confidence because Andrew Mcleod has been just as good.

mcleod at his peak vs ricciuto at his peak

andrew mcleod wins hands down. i may be biasd but ive never witnessed a better player than mcleod at his blistering best. was close to unstoppable, however for the last few years hes pretty much had artificial knees which has restricted him alot.. hes still one of our best players even with the chronic knee problems he has.. roger james pretty much has the same knee troubles as mcleod and look where he is now

(Log in to remove this ad.)

James23 said:
^ "couple of average years" righto u obviously have a bad memory

And so do you, Andrew McLeod has taken his foot of the pedal the last few year under Gary Ayres where Mark Ricciuto has been a constant force.

I wonder if I titled a thread "Which is better: Black or white ?" how many people would post responses like Grey, Red or Beige ? Fairdinkum, some people....

crows98 said:
8 years ago (1997) Mark Ricciuto was leading the Brownlow medal by 5 votes after round 16, then his season ended when he needed a hernia operation after the Brisbane Lions game.

Andrew McLeod was virtually unknown in the superstar bracket until Malcolm Blight chucked him in the middle in the second half of the preliminary final vs. the Dogs.

Don't forget that McLeod won the first of his Best And Fairests in 1997.

Chewy said:
Don't forget that McLeod won the first of his Best And Fairests in 1997.

Understand that but how many of the AA selection committee rated his season better than Ricciuto? M Blight and co did as they made him the club champion (Roo finished 3rd) but how many everyday supporter in Victoria or outside of SA put Mcleod in the superstate category before the 1997 finals but I dear say M Ricciuto would have been as a 2 time AA by then

McLeod hands down.

Ricciuto is the most overrated player going around it isn't funny. For an example of this see Prelim final vs West Coast: Neil Craig asks him for a special effort in the last quarter and he has zero impact on the game. How he gets named AA captain while Judd doesn't make the team shows how far the AA selectors have their heads up their asses.

Remove this Banner Ad

Greatest Ever Crow: Ricciuto vs McLeod ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back