Greatest ever Hawthorn mature-age recruit from another club?

Will we land another big free agency signing at the end of 2016?

• Yep.

• Nope.

• Not sure.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

By way of stats, Gibbo, Lake & Hale make a great argument - more so than Salmon who made the TotC.

Yet it's hard to go past Burgoyne, who is on another level... We could not have won 2013 & 2014 without Gibbo & Lake, yet Burgoyne provides so much...

I'd much rather the Club (&others) pick their best mature-age recruit so that I can dismiss their picks from the comfort & safety of my lounge-room!

Question is too hard - there is no correct answer.

I would like to add Michael Byrne to the mix though - very solid contributor who kicked 8 goals straight in his first game after crossing from Melbourne and then went onto kicking 0.8 3 seasons later against his former team.

Premiership player who came 5th in the Brownlow (who cares really) one year.

To answer the edit, because he wasn't the best player for the other 115min of the game.

And no disrespect to the fatman, but 2 of those 4 moments in the video may not have happened if it wasn't for Buddy. In the first one, he intentionally brings the ball down to Cyril instead of going for the mark, and in the second one, he beats off Scarlett and Taylor before dishing off to Dew and providing enough of a shepherd to allow Dew to get his shot off.

Yes but Stewie Dew...

While Gibson and Salmon were both huge surprise packets in so much as they have contributed much more than any of us anticipated, it has to be Lake for the simple reason that he was the missing piece of the puzzle. Hawthorn without Brian continually fell short of winning the flag and was regularly monstered by gorilla fwds. Hawthorn with Brian three-peats and I don't recall the last 5+ haul an opposition player has kicked against us. A part of me is very worried that he isn't going to be down there next season clunking contested mark after contested mark and instantly snuffing out opposition attacks. Massively under-rated in his contribution to the era imo. Burgoyne is a freak and a legend but i reckon we still would have snagged a couple of flags without him. I am not sure you could say the same of Brian.

Not fussed who is best really.
Have just been very happy to witness some amazing players put in some scintillating performances when it has counted.
The collective genius of many in our club in choosing and shaping discarded/disgruntled players from other clubs has been mindblowing.
I feel very privileged to be a supporter of this club and to have watched many of these players mentioned go when its been their turn to go. And some of them went in a really big way.
It comes back to the "play your role" approach. Its been going on for quite a while now.
Love the Hawthorn way of quietly going about the business and getting the job done with minimal fuss.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Not mature age but I'm calling my son the Hawks greatest ever recruit.
Signed for the club in Feb 2013 before he was born.
The rest is history!

Mature aged is a spill between Lake and Burgers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Peter Hudson hands down, and also irrefutably the greatest full forward to ever play the game with highest goal per game average (5.64 v Coleman 5.48, Lockett 4.84, Dunstall 4.66, Pratt 4.31, Coventry 4.25, Ablett 4.15).

Platten, Buckenara, Lake, Burgoyne, Greene ... are all worthy place getters.

While Gibson and Salmon were both huge surprise packets in so much as they have contributed much more than any of us anticipated, it has to be Lake for the simple reason that he was the missing piece of the puzzle. Hawthorn without Brian continually fell short of winning the flag and was regularly monstered by gorilla fwds. Hawthorn with Brian three-peats and I don't recall the last 5+ haul an opposition player has kicked against us. A part of me is very worried that he isn't going to be down there next season clunking contested mark after contested mark and instantly snuffing out opposition attacks. Massively under-rated in his contribution to the era imo. Burgoyne is a freak and a legend but i reckon we still would have snagged a couple of flags without him. I am not sure you could say the same of Brian.

I'm calling you out on this. No Burgoyne, we don't beat Cats on the 2013 prelim. Had we lost that game we were done as a group.

Shaun Burgoyne is the greatest recruit we've had from another club. And by a very long way

I'm calling you out on this. No Burgoyne, we don't beat Cats on the 2013 prelim. Had we lost that game we were done as a group.

Shaun Burgoyne is the greatest recruit we've had from another club. And by a very long way

Thats why I said "Burgoyne is a freak and a legend but i reckon we still would have snagged a couple of flags without him" (i.e 2014 and 2015). Bear in mind also that Lake was Norm Smith medallist in the 2013 grand final. Do we win the 2013 grand final without him? I have my doubts. Lake for me by some margin.

Thats why I said "Burgoyne is a freak and a legend but i reckon we still would have snagged a couple of flags without him" (i.e 2014 and 2015). Bear in mind also that Lake was Norm Smith medallist in the 2013 grand final. Do we win the 2013 grand final without him? I have my doubts. Lake for me by some margin.
But Lake would have never had the opportunity to win the norm smith and have a great game if we didn't get into the GF.

If you are talking about players that we got from other AFL/VFL clubs, then Salmon, Gibson. Lake and Burgoyne are the unlucky other couple.

Salmon was an absolute beast in one of the worst teams that our club has ever assembled. He was one of the few reason I followed football in those dark few years.

Not a lot of recognition here for Russell Greene. 3 premierships, 300 games, all Australian and best & fairest. Hard to split him with Burger and Gibbo.....superstars.
Can't believe Russell's name wasn't in first few posts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

this year? well I guess it depends on who ius avaialable and how well they will fit in.. or if they want to

I say get wingard so hodgey can have his o wn chew toy ha ha

Can't believe Russell's name wasn't in first few posts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, the great Russell Greene: he was the foundation of Alan Jeans' running game.
He came from St Kilda, left behind the partying lifestyle, got himself super fit and dedicated, and became part of the great Eighties premierships.

He was what soccer fans would call a "box to box" midfielder, he went from defence to attack, running and linking play. He was good enough to win an MVP, but was always a great team player.

I'd put him a whisker behind Shaun Burgoyne.

Not a lot of recognition here for Russell Greene. 3 premierships, 300 games, all Australian and best & fairest. Hard to split him with Burger and Gibbo.....superstars.

A lot on here wouldn't have seen Russell play. He was a favourite of mine, and a great Hawk, since he just lobbed, unexpected, on our doorstep. Would be right up there with the best.

Remove this Banner Ad

Greatest ever Hawthorn mature-age recruit from another club?

Back