Autopsy Groundhog day averted! Swans defeat Cats by 30 infront of a packed SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I misrememered and thought we may have had the second weekend of the season off as well.

Still, I can definitely see why clubs like Geelong are salty about the scheduling. No one needs a bye in round 1 (or 0, whatever). Teams that have both their byes later seem to be clearly advantaged.

I know they help, but I personally hate the byes. They're so boring. The time between the Bulldogs and Geelong games seemed like an eternity. I don't think there should be more than 1 in the regular season.
It was also 17 days, probably one of the longest breaks teams will get this year. Thursday to Sunday, way too long

Yeah I misrememered and thought we may have had the second weekend of the season off as well.

Still, I can definitely see why clubs like Geelong are salty about the scheduling. No one needs a bye in round 1 (or 0, whatever). Teams that have both their byes later seem to be clearly advantaged.

I know they help, but I personally hate the byes. They're so boring. The time between the Bulldogs and Geelong games seemed like an eternity. I don't think there should be more than 1 in the regular season.
Had to be due to a bunch of contract agreements. This was the only way the AFL could have 4 games up North and not violate contracts.

True.

The fact we've been able to start so poorly against 3 really good sides and then just run over them will give the playing group huge self belief though.
Absolutely, but I sure don’t want them to start thinking they can turn around any old deficit.

I want our margins to start looking like our ladder position - plenty of buffer.

Heard Rohan Connolly yesterday mention how scary it is that we're dominating games without him.

Outside of that though, you're right, he's been forgotten about for the most part.

Just watching a few vids

Banging on about Parish and those types missing .

I think Scott's also well aware that when you're addressing the media, you're also addressing your own players in a way too. Anything you say to the media, you're aware that they will hear it. Admitting that Stanley was comprehensively beaten in the ruck would do absolutely nothing for his confidence and is singling him out for criticism. Best just to skirt around it. At least if you're talking about your midfield group, you're addressing a collective and not singling out one player.

That is true, but Scott just sounded delusional. He refused to acknowledge Grundy at all and insisted the ruck had nothing to do with the result. That's not "skirting", it's just nonsense. The game completely turned when Grundy got on top and continually tapped it to our advantage. It was obvious he played a massive part in the win. It's very odd that Scott couldn't see it.

That is true, but Scott just sounded delusional. He refused to acknowledge Grundy at all and insisted the ruck had nothing to do with the result. That's not "skirting", it's just nonsense. The game completely turned when Grundy got on top and continually tapped it to our advantage. It was obvious he played a massive part in the win. It's very odd that Scott couldn't see it.
He saw it OK, just chose not to acknowledge it.

Big question is, who are the genuine contenders this year?

Carlton and maybe Collingwood if they get players back. Everyone else seems weak. Melbourne and Brisbane should be right up there, but both obviously have a soft underbelly and major issues. GWS were always overrated. Essendon have an easy draw but don't seem a genuine threat. Geelong are very mediocre. Port probably just making up numbers. Fremantle have looked average, but their dismantling of Melbourne possibly points to them being a factor. Maybe they're a tad underrated.

Tbh Hawthorn looks like the biggest threat right now. This is ours to lose. It's unreal how much better than everyone else we seem.

Carlton and maybe Collingwood if they get players back. Everyone else seems weak. Melbourne and Brisbane should be right up there, but both obviously have a soft underbelly and major issues. GWS were always overrated. Essendon have an easy draw but don't seem a genuine threat. Geelong are very mediocre. Port probably just making up numbers. Fremantle have looked average, but their dismantling of Melbourne possibly points to them being a factor. Maybe they're a tad underrated.

Tbh Hawthorn looks like the biggest threat right now. This is ours to lose. It's unreal how much better than everyone else we seem.
Yes. But. It's one game in Sptember. Against someone. Does not matter who. We have to play well on the day if we get there. That is the only thing that matters this year.

Pre match on Fox David King mentioned Parks was helping out on game day, with a huge smile on his face. That was the only mention on Fox.

Yeah but Mills is the captain

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Port are our biggest threat.

Bogey side extraordinaire.

Port in a prelim would kinda suck.

Thats fair, but the Heeney one especially has been one that people have called for every year, bit like Mills.

But its easier to coach the team from here and then I remember a Blight interview after the Crows stint. He said what he learned from coaching Geelong was he needed every mid to do something else, if they were going to shit in a grand final he needed to be able to move them elsewhere. Maybe not quite the same and a bit old fashioned, but now Horse can throw Mills back, Heeney forward etc. So it has built versatility.

Also no one gets every single move right so we cannot expect perfection anyway, if he builds this side to a premiership then all the moves become right 🤣

no it is not easier to coach from here! ... the players never friggin listen, they'd much rather gather around that longmire fellow and do what he says ... he's got the easy job

Agree on byes in general. I hate them.

But I disagree a bye at the start of the season is not worth as much as one mid-season.

An extra week of pre-season is priceless, specially to the eight teams that played finals the year before.

No. We have 2 byes between R0 and the end of R24. Rounds 5 and 12. Collingwood who played R0 got byes in Rounds 5 and 15. Whilst sooky sides like Geelong got byes in R0 and R14.
Swings and roundabouts really... if you had a player who had off-season surgery and would have been questionable for round 0, but was fit for round 1, the bye in round 0 helped you. If you got an injury early in the season and the player could have used an extra week in round 5 to get fully fit. Then the latter serves you better.

In some cases, the bye in round 0 would be advantageous. To complain about it is just sour grapes, sometimes things work to your advantage sometimes they don't. Not like we chose to be scheduled for a game in round 0.

Edit: just thought I'd add, I wasn't directing the post to you. But the complaining sides.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Groundhog day averted! Swans defeat Cats by 30 infront of a packed SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back