Autopsy Groundhog day averted! Swans defeat Cats by 30 infront of a packed SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Just watching a few vids

Banging on about Parish and those types missing .

Although, this was the same side who had a fan post an exciting highlight clip where Essendon managed to get the ball into the F50, only for the passage of play to break down. So can't be too hard on people citing average players as key outs. Par for the course with that mob.

Swings and roundabouts really... if you had a player who had off-season surgery and would have been questionable for round 0, but was fit for round 1, the bye in round 0 helped you. If you got an injury early in the season and the player could have used an extra week in round 5 to get fully fit. Then the latter serves you better.

In some cases, the bye in round 0 would be advantageous. To complain about it is just sour grapes, sometimes things work to your advantage sometimes they don't. Not like we chose to be scheduled for a game in round 0.

Edit: just thought I'd add, I wasn't directing the post to you. But the complaining sides.
Exactly. The bye bitching is just annoying

Just finished watching the replay and although the score board showed us 35 odd points behind midway through the 2nd Q there were 3 posters which if went though would have made us only 20 down. There were half a dozen decisions
Tbf it is ridiculous scheduling. Why have some teams had 2 byes and some none? It's clearly bad system and does seem unfair.
not sure it can be classified as fair or unfair - we started a week earlier and had a bye soon after, so maybe it's unfair that we really only get 1 bye. Depending what the makeup of team is regarding age/injuries/fitness will determine how people determine what is fair or not I guess.

Ollie iso one of the best players we have. I don't know which Universe you are in but in my Universe he is a top player.

On CPH2471 using BigFooty.com mobile app

He plays a crucial role, I guess his errors always look worse as he is deep defence , where as Gulden turns it over say half forward it doesn't sting as much.

Florent is having a rippa year

Watching the replay and Jake Lloyd was so damn good. Just the perfect wingman game.

Everywhere you look in our team there's a player or role change that has elevated us enormously this year.

So much talk about Heeney into the mids, the additions of Grundy, Adams & Jordon, the emergence of Melican etc.

But going from Dylan Stephens on the outside to Jake Lloyd is as big as any of them.

Watching the replay and Jake Lloyd was so damn good. Just the perfect wingman game.

Everywhere you look in our team there's a player or role change that has elevated us enormously this year.

So much talk about Heeney into the mids, the additions of Grundy, Adams & Jordon, the emergence of Melican etc.

But going from Dylan Stephens on the outside to Jake Lloyd is as big as any of them.
To quote Star Wars "It is your destiny".

I have watched Lloyd from when he came to the club. He was always a close marker of players when they had the ball. But immediately when we had the ball he was always 30m away demanding the ball. His ability to spread was incredible. He knows where he has to be. Always. Always a fan of him.

Much better on a wing.

Another one is JJ who is performing roles we didn't have. This team doesn't have an actual weakness.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another one is JJ who is performing roles we didn't have. This team doesn't have an actual weakness.
Except youth. Our youth is probably our weakness.
Our midfield especially is very young. Our guns are very young.
Rowbottom 23
McInerney 23
Warner 23
Gulden 21
Campbell 22
McDonald 22
Jordon 23

But they are relatively experienced because we went youth and put games into them. Exciting times in the next few years as our youth ripens.
We have an average age of 120 games as of our last game. That is high.

Bit harsh on Roberts. Think he was sensational this arvo.
He did a really smart play when were under the pump in final quarter. Held off on the first rush option to then find a lead up mark.

That’s the difference between another dangerous entry into our defensive 50 and going in the other direction and burning more time off the clock.

Looked like he has the composure of a much more experienced player.

I made some comments in the preview that Scott would be pleased enough at where the Cats are positioned for the second half of the season, with a view to resting players and having them primed for the finals. I suggested he would learn from this game even if the Cats were likely to lose. Listening to his press comments afterwards suggests this is exactly where his thoughts are at.

We can expect a more formidable Geelong come finals. Scott has found some great young talent and he's fast-tracking them to rebuild quickly. Add Guthrie and Dangerfield to bring the experience to that midfield. They have the potential to be a huge threat come finals.

I consider Horse and Scottie (not the Essendon fake) to be the smartest coaches in the AFL. Their track records support this view. At pressers they both tend to skip the BS and give an honest and intelligent assessment to the footy press. One gets the idea that these are two chess masters. For an early gambit, Horse has captured a bishop, but the game is far from played out.

Great game
Reading a lot of the comments on this thread (not yours), I feel like I am in the minority with Chris Scott.

I like his openness and honesty. He says it as he sees it. He gave good credit to Sydney.

When questioned on Grundy dominating, he asked the journalist why he thought that rather then being reactionary, and the when the journalist shared his perspective, Scott respected it but disagreed - and gave his reasons why. That’s really good leadership.

Geelong is great at attracting mature talent. I reckon Chris Scott would be a big part of that.

And I really really don’t want to play Geelong in the finals. I do hope Horse starts to test players to keep them fresh. Geelong will be cherry ripe.

McLean’s had a couple of quiet games, but 3 rounds ago against the Blues he was probably one of our best. Reckon he’ll come good.
McLean is up there with my favourite swans, but I do hope the coaches are pulling him aside and letting him know he has more in him. Hoping to see another McLean methodical step up in coming weeks.

Some strong contested marking would do wonders for our structure, especially early in games when oppositions will bring high contested pressure.

Except youth. Our youth is probably our weakness.
Our midfield especially is very young. Our guns are very young.
Rowbottom 23
McInerney 23
Warner 23
Gulden 21
Campbell 22
McDonald 22
Jordon 23

But they are relatively experienced because we went youth and put games into them. Exciting times in the next few years as our youth ripens.
We have an average age of 120 games as of our last game. That is high.
If number of games experience equates to maturity (which I think it does at least partially) then we are indeed in a good place. 😄
One other factor I think is leadership characteristics. Grand Uncle Horace and I had a fun discussion about those a way back and I think the group you list above (plus quite a number more) have a good level of those characteristics which is another huge plus.🤩
All in all, a good place to be.

Warner's last goal to seal the game was a great bit of play and McDonald (the deliverer) and Warner (the finisher) got all the plaudits for it, but it was actually a great team goal.

We'd been penned into that back pocket for about 3 minutes straight, with just constant stoppages. No one could get their hands on it and when they could they were closed down immediately. It was the exact kind of nightmare defensive 50 stoppage scenario that we leaked goals in last year all the time.

Rowbottom is the one who finally breaks the spell, gets his hands on it from the ruck's feet and just feeds it out cleanly to Gulden and we're off down the wing in one kick, Hayward contesting the ball and bringing it to ground, and then we know the rest. McDonald gallops away and delivers that beautiful kick to Warner who has busted his gut to run forward.

The far shot of that defensive 50 stoppage shows Warner is in the middle of the defensive 50 by himself, about 20m away from the stoppage. He's gonna have no say on whether this play goes our way or the way it would so often go last year. But he also knows he can have a say on what happens once the play DOES go our way, and he's positioned perfectly to capitalise if it does.

8BC3D787-7CA8-46F7-92D8-BEB820F61330.jpeg

If Rowbottom doesn't win that hard ball, and Hayward doesn't contest the ball on the wing to get it out to McDonald, then Warner's goal never happens, and the pundits on Footy Classified and the like are probably showing footage of that stoppage and circling Warner's positioning and saying, "What's he doing there?"

And by the same token, if Warner isn't positioned there, and instead gets sucked in to the stoppage, then Rowbottom's hard ball win and Hayward's strong contest down the wing lead to McDonald kicking into a vacant forward line and an easy Geelong intercept.

22 guys playing their role.

Warner's last goal to seal the game was a great bit of play and McDonald (the deliverer) and Warner (the finisher) got all the plaudits for it, but it was actually a great team goal.

We'd been penned into that back pocket for about 3 minutes straight, with just constant stoppages. No one could get their hands on it and when they could they were closed down immediately. It was the exact kind of nightmare defensive 50 stoppage scenario that we leaked goals in last year all the time.

Rowbottom is the one who finally breaks the spell, gets his hands on it from the ruck's feet and just feeds it out cleanly to Gulden and we're off down the wing in one kick, Hayward contesting the ball and bringing it to ground, and then we know the rest. McDonald gallops away and delivers that beautiful kick to Warner who has busted his gut to run forward.

The far shot of that defensive 50 stoppage shows Warner is in the middle of the defensive 50 by himself, about 20m away from the stoppage. He's gonna have no say on whether this play goes our way or the way it would so often go last year. But he also knows he can have a say on what happens once the play DOES go our way, and he's positioned perfectly to capitalise if it does.

View attachment 2016214

If Rowbottom doesn't win that hard ball, and Hayward doesn't contest the ball on the wing to get it out to McDonald, then Warner's goal never happens, and the pundits on Footy Classified and the like are probably showing footage of that stoppage and circling Warner's positioning and saying, "What's he doing there?"

And by the same token, if Warner isn't positioned there, and instead gets sucked in to the stoppage, then Rowbottom's hard ball win and Hayward's strong contest down the wing lead to McDonald kicking into a vacant forward line and an easy Geelong intercept.

22 guys playing their role.

Armatey is looking the wrong way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Groundhog day averted! Swans defeat Cats by 30 infront of a packed SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back