Autopsy Groundhog day averted! Swans defeat Cats by 30 infront of a packed SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Love this footy club. Resilience and Bloods culture on display today. Thanks lads for bringing a win on the SCG as I may have converted the wife from Cats. She was loving the "number 1 for the swans". She also bought a Heeney badge from the SwansHQ!

Bonus, Sydney put on a great view as well!

Let's go boys!
1000094388.jpg

Last edited:

I really hate it when you can't hear the questions. This has been going on foryears. I start to listen to a post match interview and then I just give up. Poor.

Agree with you in general, not just the Swans but so many sporting coach/player pressers are like that. Should be better in this day and age of technolofgy. In this instance though, with my headphones on I could all the questions well enough.

I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but each week the team just keep delivering and holding up their end of the bargain.

Like Geelong circa 2007-2009, the very best sides can just turn it on during the game after trailing and take the game over... that's what we did today. It's what we did against the Blues... to think we were able to do it against two of our closest rivals, gives me great confidence.

I thought Grundy was phenomenal early when nothing was going right. Chad was a handful and created opportunities from half chances, Heeney showed his class with a couple of quick goals when we really needed them and Paps was back to his electrifying best. Amartey got the job done again - he's putting together a fine season for someone who most fans had as the 3rd of the big 3.

Great all-round performance, many others played inportant roles.

Was it just me or does Wicks haircut make him look faster? JackHiscoxWasFast

That 5 goals defecit eroded rather quickly. It's a good sign that we can respond when the chips were down.

Probably not ideal to let it get to that point but clearly work to do in this space.

I'm still not convinced our brand holds up on GF day. Any pressure seems to really affect us and we concede goals quickly.

We definitely aren't quite the finished product and adding Mills dials up the side to another level.

He may add the finishing touch to help stem a tide when needed and add so much polish and pain for opposition with his smarts and ball use.

Great spot to be

Pay holding the ball the same way in the first quarter and we likely win by 80. Maybe we should take the U18 pathway away from Victoria and make the Vic clubs pay for elite junior pathways themselves. Because that's what occurs up in Sydney. The only genuine way of making the big time is to go through an academy because nothing else exists.
You are making too much sense which our mate Mr Geelong Crazy man just wouldn’t understand, nor does he want to. He’s just following the other sheep who think we have an advantage when don’t. He’s just making excuses for the Cats performance.

Last edited:
First game I’ve seen live in a long time, of our likely finals opponents this year, I felt Geelong presented the strongest challenge to us to date (the Dogs game was a danger too but I reckon they will end up missing the 8).

First quarter, they really dominated centre clearances and their pressure was first rate. We rarely had a possession in time and space so often our mids just had the throw it on the boot or hand pass sideways under pressure. Bombed it long into the 50 and their defence intercepted easily and capitalised on our turnovers. We seem to struggle with their small forwards like Stengel, Brad Close etc The body language wasn’t great, a lot of hands on hips and looking at the ground in that quarter. Seemed like whenever we had the ball, looking to go forward Cats players would sprint back defensively to support which forces us to go slow. When we wanted to change the angle and kick across the field they did an excellent job of anticipating it and cutting it off then scoring on the break. Grundy, Errol, maybe Amartey our only winners.

Second quarter, it didn’t look like anything about the game had changed fundamentally other than us lifting our own intensity to match theirs. They weren’t playing badly, I think we adjusted our game a bit to help deal with their pressure - more clever tap ons, handball faster, more kicks off the ground. The game was mostly being played up and down the wings, Geelong still made it quite difficult to use the corridor, run which is what we like. A lot of the goals that got us back into it in the second quarter looked more a result of individual brilliance from Heeney, Chad etc. executing on some difficult chances, the bounce of the ball going our way. Amartey’s very quick off the mark and was able to take some marks on the lead.

Up until maybe 5 minutes remaining in the third quarter, Chris Scott would’ve likely been happy with how the game was panning out. Late in the third quarter, Cats noticeably weren’t covering the ground as well and the pressure was dropping off. Papley was able to get a few marks on the lead and goal. Fourth quarter was the inverse of the first, we blew them off the park once the game was on our terms.

Geelong are clearly one of the better teams, a level above the likes of Carlton and Essendon. But we’re a class above even them.

don't agree with your last line
geelong will struggle to make the eight, and essendon will struggle to stay top four ... and maybe even the eight
i thought carlton would beat essendon, i think they're clearly better than the cats and bombers, and i think they're a top four team

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love this footy club. Resilience and Bloods culture on display today. Thanks lads for bringing a win on the SCG as I may have converted the wife from Cats. She was loving the "number 1 for the swans". She also bought a Heeney badge from the SwansHQ!

Bonus, Sydney put on a great view as well!

Let's go boys!
9a514815bec3ef26c7792810cf9ac6e0.jpg
I’ll see yours and raise you with this …. (yes it was a beautiful sight 😍)

Attachments

• IMG_8549.png
    IMG_8549.png
    7.4 MB · Views: 33

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Groundhog day averted! Swans defeat Cats by 30 infront of a packed SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back