GWS 12pm Press conference today - Scully Signed

Remove this Banner Ad

In all seriousness, what a lucky guy! 6 million in the bank, even if those knees do give out.

He's laughing and wouldn't care about anyone thinking he's a w***er, so you're better off not letting it bother you too much tbh.

In all seriousness, what a lucky guy! 6 million in the bank, even if those knees do give out.

He's laughing and wouldn't care about anyone thinking he's a w***er, so you're better off not letting it bother you too much tbh.

Forever being known as a player who chased money before anything else? I dunno, it might get to him one day. Mind you, it may not. The 'integrity' he was supposed to have is apparently no there so who knows what bothers this kid.

Pretty much...never has to work again.

Good luck to him

6 Million in 6 years.. if he stayed at Melbourne he would probably get what? Half of that anyway? Is 3 million dollars not enough to set you up for life anyway?

On a side note, weird to announce it 10 minutes before the kewell press conference. So much for maximizing publicity in western sydney....

Scully has more or less been trashed the entire year.

But who would refuse a 6 year multi-million deal at his age?

If anyone ought to be trashed, it's the AFL for creating this scenario. Poaching players from clubs should never have been part of the package.

I dare say clubs were bullied to accept Vlad's proposal.

Having said that, Melbourne being a dysfunctional mess this year probably made Scully's choice a lot easier.
And it made it easier for six of his team mates to re-sign...

Forever being known as a player who chased money before anything else? I dunno, it might get to him one day. Mind you, it may not. The 'integrity' he was supposed to have is apparently no there so who knows what bothers this kid.

Well its certainly got too you, i think maybe you should go have a valium and a lay down to get that blood pressure back too normal..

Everyone talks about money but you can bet that heaps of blokes were offered heaps of money.
Good footy clubs are able to keep good people. Very simple. He doesn't seem like a good bloke (so why draft him. especially considering his average kicking and size?) and the club surely will have to answer questions why this kid simply didn't want to be there.

What an absolute disgrace that the AFL would allow a young player to be poached from a developing club. Never in the history of the game has this happened before.

Imagine the public outcry if the shoe was on the other foot and it was one of the big clubs like Collingwood poaching young talent from interstate. People simply wouldn't stand for it.

ohoq9.jpg

Maybe you didn't read the article, Martin is on a base contract with a few incentives and will earn about 165k this year, same as every other draftee who has shown as much as he has.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/how-loyalty-cost-dustin-martin-3m/story-fn6cisdj-1226049486283

I'd say 400k a year for a kid as good as Martin is about right.

And to the other portion of your post, Richmond has already signed up the majority of it's highly talented youngsters to long term deals such as Cotchin, Riewoldt etc, the only player of note who is coming out of contract next year is Deledio, but considering he will be eligible for Veteran status in a couple of years time he will earn more money at Richmond then he could anywhere else, although I'd say Deledio is quite comfortable where he is at the moment being Richmond's highest paid player.

I'm not trying to have a go at Richmond here. At the end of the day, Richmond were forced to sign up a very young player for a lot more than they would have had to if the inflationary pressures of the expansion clubs being able to poach a player after his first contract didn't exist.

I am not saying Martin isn't worth the money, rather Richmond were forced to pay on potential, not performance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's both a game, and a business. For the player, this means success and money.

Fair to say that Scully would have made his decision based on both how he feels about MFC - and also what he sees in GWS.

You can't begrudge him if he genuinely believes he can snag 2-3 flags with GWS over the next 10 years, while at the same time making around $10m over his playing lifetime.

He would have seen the way MFC treated James Macdonald, and realised that the very institution that was banking on his loyalty could be found pretty wanting too.

6 Million in 6 years.. if he stayed at Melbourne he would probably get what? Half of that anyway? Is 3 million dollars not enough to set you up for life anyway?
It sounds like a lot to you and I, but after tax and a house fit for a footy star there wouldn't be much left of that 3 million.

Congrats to Scully. Good luck in the future. Melbourne will receive very good compensation, which they can use in next years super draft.
End result...good for both clubs.
Don't blame Scully....he didnt orchestrate this scenario....he is just a bit player in the larger AFL & GWS story. He doesnt deserve to be 'hated' & or booed at the Footy, he is just a young footballer plying his trade.

Can't blame him for taking the money and running, you never know when your time is up as a footballer. Just hope that he invests wisely and doesn't become another David Schwarz or Brendan Fevola.

I think it's a lot of money based on player potential, obviously Ablett was worth it for Gold Coast - being the player that he is and all associated costs being paid back in spades (not with on field success just yet, but the attention the club gets because of the best player in the comp playing for them). Yet Scully has potential, but is yet to realize it.............. GWS are yet to land a true "big fish", they are getting lots of tropical fish.... yet to see them nab a great white shark :p.

As i said in another thread, i am not fussed that this happened to Melbourne.... they got what they deserved in my opinion. I do feel sorry for Jimmy though.

Come on, you can't be that ignorant. Salary cap relief isn't important now, but it sure will be in 3 years' time.

Our list is heavily loaded with younger players, who are likely to be expecting significant pay increases as they improve. When it comes time to re-sign guys like Watts, Trengove, Blease, Frawley, Garland, Tapscott, Gawn, Gysberts and Viney, the MFC will be thanking its lucky stars it's not paying Scully $600k+ p.a.

Please stop :eek:

I understand you blokes are in defense mode, but trying to spin this as a good thing because you get 'much needed salary cap relief' is just beyond embarrassing.

Collingwood and Geelong have significantly more talent on their lists than Melbourne and they make do with their caps. Melbourne isn't going to have pressure on its salary cap for about 10 years at the rate it's going.

I'm not trying to have a go at Richmond here. At the end of the day, Richmond were forced to sign up a very young player for a lot more than they would have had to if the inflationary pressures of the expansion clubs being able to poach a player after his first contract didn't exist.

I am not saying Martin isn't worth the money, rather Richmond were forced to pay on potential, not performance.

Martin only starts to earn more money from 2012 onwards, it's not like his wage increase is an extra 400k or something, we're talking from 165K(Base wage before incentives) to 400K PY, IMO that's pretty much on the money for what Martin is worth considering the average wage of an AFL player is about 230k.

I think what people don't seem to understand is that GWS have to pay their money to someone. They have around $10 million to pay to players. They're going to have a list of about 50 players. At least half of them will be first year players. So even if you paid those 25 $100k each, and you've got 7.5 million to spend on the other half of your list.

There's no doubt Scully's contract is heavily front loaded.

Scum of the highest order.

Leaves a struggling club in a time of need.

Some might say Gary is cut that Geelong is still awesome without him but at least it shows that they needed to get him out of that salary cap for league fairness and pay fairness for him and everybody back at Geelong.

I can't see why Melbourne couldn't match this deal. Where's all the cash going?

Salary cap mystery, fill up $8-9 mill on nobodys. Well done MFC. :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

GWS 12pm Press conference today - Scully Signed

Remove this Banner Ad

Back