GWS 12pm Press conference today - Scully Signed

Remove this Banner Ad

Melbourne fans shouldn't be mad. Firstly, Trengove > Scully. That knee doesn't look too dependable... Secondly, two future stars (if you draft wisely) will be coming your way. In my opinion overall those two players together should be better than Scully, which means your rise up the ladder won't be stopped by this. At worst it might be delayed by a season. Nothing worse than that.

Also, I'll laugh at GWS if that knee gives out halfway through 2013.

I'm not critical of his character, but I wonder who has been giving him advice, because his actions have clearly been at the request of a certain group, be it his management, the AFL or GWS.

He's been a puppet through all of this, and his silence has alienated him. He was damned if he did, damned if he didn't.

He is moving to Sydney, not the Middle East.

Tomscully.jpg

"I knew there was definitely interest but I wanted to do everything right by Melbourne and play the year out"

ahh I thought it finished.

Nope another 5 or so minutes of questions after, which included the following pearler:

Tom: I dont play footy for money blahblahblah the money was a big factor of course.

What a load of hogwash that press conference was. "I only signed this morning". "I came up here yesterday and made my decision". "I only was starting to think about moving 2-3 weeks ago".

He can't be serious.

6 years is a hell of a long time for someone with bad knees.

this sums it up in a nutshell

he knows that nobody believes this and we all know it's just not true. by making such comments everybdy simply considers him a bigger w***er than this whole scenario has already made him look

Lying little sh*t. Couldn't even look in the eyes of the reporters. Him and Sheedy do look good together though. Scum and Scummer. :)

Good riddance to bad disloyal attitude. Go for the knees Melbourne, go for the knees. :thumbsu:

Someone should've thrown a shoe at him.

:D genuine lol, bravo. I would have paid good money to see that.

LOL YOU HAVE NFI

His on about $400k a year and is in our top 5 players. Pretty sure we aren't selling the farm there.

Not to mention we are currently paying 92.5% of the salary cap. Newman goes onto the vetrans list next year.

Essendon would be paying Hurley roughly the same and he hasn't shown anywhere near as much as Dusty.

whoosh.

As long as you're happy with the inflationary effect of GC meaning you have less money to pay your other players, that's all that counts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

About f***ing time! He has been Kevin Sheedy's little puppet all year. Wouldn't surprise me if he paid him an extra million to keep quiet about it.
All they were after was a years worth of publicity and they got it.

As for the kid well he should consider a career in acting. He's a better actor than a footballer.

Clubs agreed to it so they cant whinge

A number of clubs were said to have raised concerns about this scenario and were basically told stiff shit by the AFL.

I thought GC would have a gun young midfield in 5 years time, GWS's will be much better.

Scully Treloar Shiel Ward Conigllio Wingard...Scary.

Melbourne have shown him little reason to stay this year and little reason to be loyal over the last 2 years (sacked captain and coach), let's not forget that. Good luck to him.

Went up there yesterday, and only signed today. So, it apparently took him only one day to decide that he was leaving Melbourne?

What the hell - GWS probably just walked him into a room where there was $6mill lying around and said "It's yours". All the convincing he'd need.

Scully has more or less been trashed the entire year.

But who would refuse a 6 year multi-million deal at his age?

If anyone ought to be trashed, it's the AFL for creating this scenario. Poaching players from clubs should never have been part of the package.

I dare say clubs were bullied to accept Vlad's proposal.

Having said that, Melbourne being a dysfunctional mess this year probably made Scully's choice a lot easier.

noone with 1/2 a brain would turn down an offer for that much cash.

it makes me kinda sick to my stomach though thinking that he's getting that much cash for 6 years when so many champion players would not make that much over a whole career.

i reckon GWS are nuts to pay someone that much with injury concerns. :confused:

Melbourne have shown him little reason to stay this year and little reason to be loyal over the last 2 years (sacked captain and coach), let's not forget that. Good luck to him.

It's called sticking it out when times are tough. Richmond should look into it. I think I'll take a leaf out of your fans books and spit on him though.

And now he's one of your most highly paid players, having played less than 50 games. He probably earns more than your captain.

That in turn is going to make it harder for you to keep your other young guns.

I'm glad you're so thrilled with that situation. I wouldn't be.

Maybe you didn't read the article, Martin is on a base contract with a few incentives and will earn about 165k this year, same as every other draftee who has shown as much as he has.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/how-loyalty-cost-dustin-martin-3m/story-fn6cisdj-1226049486283

Martin has signed on until the end of 2013, and it is understood he will earn about $400,000 in the next two seasons to come.

After that, he will likely sign another long-term deal which could start at around $600,000 in his first year.

That is $1.6 million for Dusty from 2012-2014.

I'd say 400k a year for a kid as good as Martin is about right.

And to the other portion of your post, Richmond has already signed up the majority of it's highly talented youngsters to long term deals such as Cotchin, Riewoldt etc, the only player of note who is coming out of contract next year is Deledio, but considering he will be eligible for Veteran status in a couple of years time he will earn more money at Richmond then he could anywhere else, although I'd say Deledio is quite comfortable where he is at the moment being Richmond's highest paid player.

Went up there yesterday, and only signed today. So, it apparently took him only one day to decide that he was leaving Melbourne?

What the hell - GWS probably just walked him into a room where there was $6mill lying around and said "It's yours". All the convincing he'd need.

Not sure what's so incredible about making a quick decision to move. Took me about 2 hours to decide to move from Sydney to Melbourne, and I didn't move for anywhere near the money he'll be on. He has no family to move, so no real considerations apart from "do I want to play for Melbourne or GWS".

Remove this Banner Ad

GWS 12pm Press conference today - Scully Signed

Remove this Banner Ad

Back