GWS 12pm Press conference today - Scully Signed

Remove this Banner Ad

I find this disgusting, and a complete blight on the competition. I guess you can't really blame Sculy for accepting the money, but it's a shame there is no loyalty in the comp anymore. It's unfair - even if Melbourne admitted to tanking - that a future star for a struggling club can just leave for the dough. Surely if such as thing arises in the future if there is a new club, the AFL will have to do it differentely.

I know it hurts today, but Melbourne supporters must know that once GWS stepped in, they are better off with him gone.

Set aside where he was drafted. He is a young player, he's shown promise and he's had some injury concerns. No-one knows where his career will go. He is so far from Ablett it's not funny - I can't believe this is the best GWS could do. What Scully has been offered, for his standing in the game, is completely ridiculous, and for Melbourne to go anywhere near what it would have taken to keep him, given it has less money to throw around, would have been even sillier.

He's a good young player but he's only one player. The club has a lot of other talent to build with. Get on with it.

Agree wholeheartedly with this, and i am seriously questioning the angle of recruiting the GWS are doing.

I still rankle at Gazza going to the Suns, but for his reported $9M over 5 years, it was close to double the best Geelong could offer. And there is no way we could have paid more with many other AA's on the list who would deserve to be on a pay band much more equitably.

But Gazza was roundly recognised as the best player in the comp. He is worth that money. But Scully? He's a #1 draft pick who has played quite well, and shown some good signs, but in all honesty has he shown any more than say a Allen Christensen, a Mitch Duncan or a Daniel Menzel? There's no guarantee he'd have even been a regular at Geelong, or Collingwood or even Hawthorn.

If GWS were fair dinkum, what would be the harm in throwing this sort of coin at someone like a Dale Thomas, Chris Dawes, Cyril Rioli or such? Certainly with Dawes, he'd be on nothing like that sort of money the GWS are throwing around, and he's an imposing big KPP at the cusp of his best years. And if you're spending $6M over 6 years, why not spend about 40% more and throw that at a Franklin or Cloke? That woule be double what they'd be on at their existing clubs.

Just seems that they are spending stupid money on relatively unproven players such as Scully and Ward (reportedly) and they could have bought much bigger and better names than these. The Dogs and Dees have had no chance to keep these blokes, as suddenly players such as these would be on higher pay than anyone remaining at their clubs.

Not really fair for the Dees, or the lower clubs in general. Seems to be taking strength from the lower sides and not (as what you'd hope the salary cap would do) redistribute the talent from the top sides to the bottom. The Pies and Hawks would be laughing. And Geelong have already lost the league's best player with the expansion clubs.

Got to feel for Dean Bailey. Tanked to get Scully. Tanking cost him his job. Scully heads to GWS. Melbourne back where they began.

Yep.

Sympathy for Bailey who did the best thing for the club and was shafted for it.

Absolutely no sympathy for the club itself. In fact they should be secretly doing hand-stands for joy if they get two first-round picks for Scully. That would be an absolute joke and I must confess would greatly increase my disillusionment with the whole corrupt AFL system.

What an absolute disgrace that the AFL would allow a young player to be poached from a developing club. Never in the history of the game has this happened before.

Imagine the public outcry if the shoe was on the other foot and it was one of the big clubs like Collingwood poaching young talent from interstate. People simply wouldn't stand for it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bravo... Bravo

That was a sensational performance there from Tom Scully, the boy definitely has a big acting career in front of him.

The subtle trolling of Melbourne was first class as well... well done Tom, suck it up Dees.

*my opinion may change if GWS get their filthy hands on a quality Pies player

My only observation is that he's a bit of a coward by not informing MFC personally and for deceiving Jimmy all this time. That does not reflect well on his character at all. It could have saved a lot of this effort in trying to find extra money for him and trying to satisfy him. MFC never had a chance of retaining him. He doesn't appear to like the club, but he could have been honest enough to tell us his intentions. I understand he could declare his signing officially, but it could have helped MFC to stop putting energy into him. I don't much like Scully, but going to GWS itself is not really the reason. I just think he's a self-absorbed little prat who was happy to take a big deal (fair enough), but also put an entire club through turmoil while he protected his image. Then he announces he's leaving with a letter - probably written by his dad. He's not impressive at all as a person.

Seriously.....the judgements on this kid's character are pathetic.

He is a kid for a start.

For him to be drafted number 1, he would have to done pretty well at the character testing during the draft year.

If he was no good, the club would have dropped him like a stone with probably zero respect. Look at how you treated James MacDonald for one example, or more generally the St Kilda retiring blokes kerfuffle.

And to say "waaaa he wasn't honest" is also a joke. Football clubs, players, coaches, officials lie all the time, every day to the media.

Its bad luck for Melbourne, but seeing as they deliberately lost games to get those picks I don't have much sympathy for them. Up to MFC to build a culture and brand that players want to stay at for less than inflated market value. Could start by putting winning games of football as the main priority for the club not getting draft picks.

Evaded the question as to when he made his decision.

You w***er $cully.

Watching on foxsports he answered it well..

He wanted to play out the season giving 100% commitment to his club for the rest of the season.
I think it was the best way to go for all involved and Id be very surprised if the club didnt know anyway.
Very well spoken young man he handled it well.

Hes not the first person to lie about moving clubs and he wont be the last. How can you say no to $6m over 6 years when he wouldnt even be getting half of that in Melbourne? The carry on here is laughable considering 99% of us expected him to go regardless. :thumbsu:

And now he's one of your most highly paid players, having played less than 50 games. He probably earns more than your captain.

That in turn is going to make it harder for you to keep your other young guns.

I'm glad you're so thrilled with that situation. I wouldn't be.

LOL YOU HAVE NFI

His on about $400k a year and is in our top 5 players. Pretty sure we aren't selling the farm there.

Not to mention we are currently paying 92.5% of the salary cap. Newman goes onto the vetrans list next year.

Essendon would be paying Hurley roughly the same and he hasn't shown anywhere near as much as Dusty.

Not sure why Melbourne fans care about him leaving, unless they were staunchly defending him all throughout the year when it was obvious to everyone he was gone. Much like Ablett and the Geelong fans last year. He's not that great of a player anyway, the compensation you'll get will more than make up for losing him.

Remove this Banner Ad

GWS 12pm Press conference today - Scully Signed

Remove this Banner Ad

Back