• 11 games in Western Sydney? Name change to Western Sydney

Votes: 53 26.8%
  • Merge with a Vic club?

Votes: 8 4.0%
  • Just be patient?

Votes: 94 47.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I think most in this thread agree that the Easter show gap needs addressing and is not helpful in building a fan base.

The thing that frustrates me though is there seems to be little effort by the club or the AFL to come up with creative solutions to deal with it.

There are too many well paid people resigning to shrugging their shoulders about the situation.

Don't the giants ever have a member night? Like an AGM where you can ask questions? The problem is, most fans don't wanna play a game at the scg or Henson park which I get the reasoning (it's not in western sydney), but surely it's more damaging to the club and it building it's supporter base if they don't have a game in Sydney (other than the derby) during that time.

I don't think you always have to listen to the diehard fans on some things, gotta make some unpopular calls when needed, that's proper leadership.

Don't the giants ever have a member night? Like an AGM where you can ask questions? The problem is, most fans don't wanna play a game at the scg or Henson park which I get the reasoning (it's not in western sydney), but surely it's more damaging to the club and it building it's supporter base if they don't have a game in Sydney (other than the derby) during that time.

I don't think you always have to listen to the diehard fans on some things, gotta make some unpopular calls when needed, that's proper leadership.
Yes - there are (legitimate) disagreements about where we should play our 8 games that are currently played at Giants Stadium (Engie). Most want all Sydney games played in Western Sydney, whilst some want to play some games in SCG. The club under our previous chairman did want to play some games in SCG, but there was a lot of negative feedback and it was dropped then. However, I remember our CEO Dave Matthews being asked about it at a members night at that time, and he did say we should not surrender Sydney to the Swans.

Their stadium has also become a bit of a taboo among neutrals, people associate it with poor crowds and being some redundant half-stadium – which it kind of is, most of it still looks the same as it did when I'm pissed watching 2001 Big Day Out videos.

They'd do much better in the inner west and honestly, reckon Inner West Giants would be preferable to Greater Western Sydney Giants.

Their stadium has also become a bit of a taboo among neutrals, people associate it with poor crowds and being some redundant half-stadium – which it kind of is, most of it still looks the same as it did when I'm pissed watching 2001 Big Day Out videos.

They'd do much better in the inner west and honestly, reckon Inner West Giants would be preferable to Greater Western Sydney Giants.
Kinda defeats the whole purpose of the club. Build the game in Western Sydney.

The Giants weren't brought in like Freo, Port (or Tassie is about to be.)

In Western Sydney (LGA), 45.7% of people used a language other than English at home in 2021.
It's going to take a long time to sell this game to the many and varied communities and areas of Western Sydney.

I personally feel the long play will yield the best results and comparing crowd numbers to NRL or other AFL clubs is moot.

I think most in this thread agree that the Easter show gap needs addressing and is not helpful in building a fan base.

The thing that frustrates me though is there seems to be little effort by the club or the AFL to come up with creative solutions to deal with it.

The Sydney Swans have eventually made great progress in raising the profile of Australian Football in Sydney with many new clubs, football grounds and facilities for amateur players but the government still refuses and in fact inhibits Australian Football growth by not including AFL grounds in their infrastructure.

Where could you stage an AFL game in Sydney that could cater for an AFL crowd apart from the SCG?
I understand that Homebush across from the Showgrounds is now permanently rectangular.
I believe one game at least should be tried at the SCG.
You could easily (physically) reconfigure North Sydney Oval but that is definitely in the wrong physical direction, though one game would have a high curiosity interest and exposure.

Their stadium has also become a bit of a taboo among neutrals,

What are you actually talking about ?

people associate it with poor crowds and being some redundant half-stadium

Swans fans partly associate it with playing at a soul-less Homebush stadium.
The feedback I hear is that the stadium has good viewing.

They'd do much better in the inner west

People have suggested that an SCG game would be interesting due the gap time.

and honestly,

There is nothing much to be gained by fiddling with the name.
Because GWS is so convoluted it has produced the outcome whereby most people simply refer to them as "the Giants".

Where could you stage an AFL game in Sydney that could cater for an AFL crowd apart from the SCG?
I understand that Homebush across from the Showgrounds is now permanently rectangular.
I believe one game at least should be tried at the SCG.
You could easily (physically) reconfigure North Sydney Oval but that is definitely in the wrong physical direction, though one game would have a high curiosity interest and exposure.
Blacktown International Sportspark? Have staged one in the past.

Kinda defeats the whole purpose of the club. Build the game in Western Sydney.

The Giants weren't brought in like Freo, Port (or Tassie is about to be.)

In Western Sydney (LGA), 45.7% of people used a language other than English at home in 2021.
It's going to take a long time to sell this game to the many and varied communities and areas of Western Sydney.

I personally feel the long play will yield the best results and comparing crowd numbers to NRL or other AFL clubs is moot.
The migrant community thing is used as a fantastic cop out though.

In the 70s, a lot of the biggest names and now Hall of Famers, their parents had only been in Australia for 10 or 20 years.

You see it now even, basically every club has a South Sudanese guy out there.

People have this idea that migrants come out and they'll play the round ball because they know of it but it isn't the case – people want to assimilate, feel normal, and be popular: they'll latch onto the sport everyone else is playing at school and seeing on the tv.

The issue in western Sydney is that there is no one kicking the ball in the schoolyard and there is no presence on the news.

Gold Coast works a little better because it's got no historical roots to a specific sport nor has it had any team exist for longer than 15 years. the Titans have been around a while in the NRL but they're even less relevant than that Dolphins team who have no real geography and have existed for what, three seasons? there's also just a simple demographic switch too: people on the Gold Coast are more middle class and have the lifestyle and luxury of going to a game, having their parents drop them at training, and being able to afford a jumper. people in western Sydney are way less likely to have that. the area doesn't even produce good soccer players anymore, most of them coming up are from the eastern suburbs and northern beaches.

Giants are better off going after the trendy AFLW adjacent crowd in the inner west who want to feel working class, and the white collar family with young kids who are renovating a townhouse. there just isn't the money or freedom in the true, real west of Sydney.

In the 70s, a lot of the biggest names and now Hall of Famers, their parents had only been in Australia for 10 or 20 years.

People have this idea that migrants come out and they'll play the round ball because they know of it but it isn't the case – people want to assimilate, feel normal, and be popular: they'll latch onto the sport everyone else is playing at school and seeing on the tv.

The issue in western Sydney is that there is no one kicking the ball in the schoolyard and there is no presence on the news.

Gold Coast works a little better because it's got no historical roots to a specific sport nor has it had any team exist for longer than 15 years. the Titans have been around a while in the NRL but they're even less relevant than that Dolphins team who have no real geography and have existed for what, three seasons? there's also just a simple demographic switch too: people on the Gold Coast are more middle class and have the lifestyle and luxury of going to a game, having their parents drop them at training, and being able to afford a jumper. people in western Sydney are way less likely to have that. the area doesn't even produce good soccer players anymore, most of them coming up are from the eastern suburbs and northern beaches.

Giants are better off going after the trendy AFLW adjacent crowd in the inner west who want to feel working class, and the white collar family with young kids who are renovating a townhouse. there just isn't the money or freedom in the true, real west of Sydney.
Yes, Fish where the fish are. Nothing draws a crowd like a crowd. All those saying ring true. Switch the inner west academy and promotional zone from Swans over to Giants, and promote the club in a part of Sydney that actually has some interest in footy. Play the post Easter Canberra games in Sydney, at the SCG v Pies/Blues/Bombers. It can work.

Yes, Fish where the fish are. Nothing draws a crowd like a crowd. All those saying ring true. Switch the inner west academy and promotional zone from Swans over to Giants, and promote the club in a part of Sydney that actually has some interest in footy. Play the post Easter Canberra games in Sydney, at the SCG v Pies/Blues/Bombers. It can work.
They are a Western Sydney club in name only

supposedly players/ceo all live in eastern suburbs
That is one of problems they face with connecting with the Western Sydney community, and didn't Kevin Sheedy call Western Sydney "The land of of Falafel", which would have gone down like a lead ballon there?
If true it again shows sheedys lack of intelligence to say such a thing.

It's just a ****ing dumb idea, even heartland sports like league and soccer get piss poor attention there. Sydneysiders are completely different in approach to sport than those from the southern states.

It was a move of arrogance and ego to try and get a team there.

Now the AFL is hamstrung at 19 clubs and there being no answer at all for a 20th.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is one of problems they face with connecting with the Western Sydney community, and didn't Kevin Sheedy call Western Sydney "The land of of Falafel", which would have gone down like a lead ballon there?
Think that was Eddie Mcguire.

It's just a ****ing dumb idea, even heartland sports like league and soccer get piss poor attention there. Sydneysiders are completely different in approach to sport than those from the southern states.

Now the AFL is hamstrung at 19 clubs and there being no answer at all for a 20th.
The Macarthur a-league club is prime example of how hard sports clubs can fare in West Sydney. Soccer is supposed to be a heaetland sport where they are located but they barely have a media profile and their crowds are abysmal.

supposedly players/ceo all live in eastern suburbs

Darcy Jones was on afl 360 tonight, him and his 3 teammates live in western sydney. Of course players are gonna live in nicer suburbs on their money though, I bet no bulldogs players live in Footscray.

That was Eddie McGuire. Sheedy made the joke 'who's hindmarsh, I know hindmarsh stadium', really not a big deal but the Sydney nrl media used it against them to turn the public against them. Something they haven't stopped doing in their 12 year existence actually.

Darcy Jones was on afl 360 tonight, him and his 3 teammates live in western sydney. Of course players are gonna live in nicer suburbs on their money though, I bet no bulldogs players live in Footscray.

That was Eddie McGuire. Sheedy made the joke 'who's hindmarsh, I know hindmarsh stadium', really not a big deal but the Sydney nrl media used it against them to turn the public against them. Something they haven't stopped doing in their 12 year existence actually.
Footscray is hip. I bet quite a few live there.

Have you spent any time in this thread? A few answers in there.

On and off, Canberra has been asking for a team for 43 years. If you don't see an answer, you're not looking for one.

Let’s start with the question of how the sport is conveyed to kids.

I live in East Sydney and my young son has been to the “Little Foxes” AusKick program for the last year.

It’s one of the best youth activity products I’ve ever seen. Heaps of coaches, great interactive play and really well attended (in North Bondi).

It’s a credit to them and the Swans who have a small say in running it.

Compare that to when we stayed with my in laws a month ago and I attended a similar session for my nephew run in Castle Hill.

2 kids there, terrible coaching and nobody gave a ****.

If you can’t get it right for the kids, what hope is there for adults to start attending games locally?

Where could you stage an AFL game in Sydney that could cater for an AFL crowd apart from the SCG
I'm not necessarily advocating a return to Stadium Australia but it is interesting when you look at the stats for AFL played at the Olympic stadium from 2002 to 2022 (regular games ceased there after 2015) the average attendance for home and away matches 40,000 (45 matches) and for finals 44,000 ( 10 matches). The big change is the Swans moved out. There's almost an argument for Giants and Swans sharing both SCG and Homebush if you want to promote AFL right across Sydney.

Back