GWS Uncontracted and Free Agency Targets 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Warnock is perpetually injured & cannot carry/develop muscle..think u'd do better with a big-bodied ruck like Jamar,West..or Zac Clark who has genuine pace

Between Giles, Folau and Phillips, I think we're OK for rucks.

While I'd think about a big-bodied reserve, I dont think we need to spend serious money in FA on one.

@rdhinds
@neilcordy reports GWS out of race for Travis Cloke.
Not convinced they were ever really in. Keeping cap space for player retention.

Good result in my mind - save the money to retain players as mentioned, plus allow Patton, Cameron and Folau to own the forward line for the future.

Just an article confirming what we already know:

THE GWS Giants are officially out of the race for Collingwood star forward Travis Cloke.
"We don't intend to make an offer,'' Giants chief executive Dave Matthews told The Daily Telegraph.
Rather than get in a bidding war with other clubs for the talented Magpie's services the Giants will focus their attention on re-signing their young talent.
The Giants boss was quick to point out that while they are out of the race for Cloke's services they were, "not out of the race for contracted players.''

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/mor...for-travis-cloke/story-e6frf9jf-1226358196453

I would have liked Cloke to take pressure (both defensive and mental) off Cameron, Folau and Patton but I can understand why they didn't pursue hm given the horse race for him at the moment.

I do find it hilarious that everyone's offering contracts to Cloke's manager with monetary figures included and no comments are made, yet apparently we were "breaking the rules" according to many last year for doing exactly the same thing with our uncontracted players.

@rdhinds
@neilcordy reports GWS out of race for Travis Cloke.
Not convinced they were ever really in. Keeping cap space for player retention.

Great news. He has talent. But it would be pretty easy to be a good forward with one of the best midfields of all time giving you the ball. Be a waste on a huge contract.

I still think we need help at forward though.

I agree that we could do with a bit of help in the forwardline, so what I would like to see as a short term solution would be to get Barry Hall on a 2 year, 20 game contract that would give us the band aid solution we need until Cameron and Patton are fully up and running.

But I do expect us to pick up 4 players to replace our guys moving into coaching so it will be interesting to see who we pick up.

I agree that we could do with a bit of help in the forwardline, so what I would like to see as a short term solution would be to get Barry Hall on a 2 year, 20 game contract that would give us the band aid solution we need until Cameron and Patton are fully up and running.

But I do expect us to pick up 4 players to replace our guys moving into coaching so it will be interesting to see who we pick up.

The bloke we hired to do just that kicked two goals against Carlton, before suffering a season-ending injury.

Unlike Hall, we can have him back for minimum wage, and a promise to being the GWS-funded captain-coach of our Irish affiliate side.

Satanta o'hAilpin can and should be re-signed.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Setanta o'hAilpin can and should be re-signed.

You know, the interesting thing about following all the players on Twitter is how happy Setanta seems to be and how much the players like him. I wonder if he was like that at Carlton? He seems very settled and respected in the squad, probably something that is good for his playing.

Was he on a 1 year contract. I would give him another year to prove himself when healthy.

Barry Hall!? 2 years!? Maybe as a coach only as he is all only practice what I preach but don't do as I do (to mix some metaphors).

Maybe we need a list of players considering retirement? Or retired last year?

Yes Setanta was only on a 1 year contract, I would like us to offer him another year but he will be 30 next year and and acl isn't the easiest injury to get over. But if he shows a great attitude in rehap and therefore demonstrating good off field leadership then im all for an extension.

On Barry Hall it will be interesting to see how he goes in his country footy comeback as I hear a couple of clubs are taking a bit of interest in how he goes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On minimum wage, he's definitely worth a list slot.

It also shows a commendable culture of loyalty - it reassures players that the club will stand by them if they get hurt, as long as they work on their rehab and so on.

As to being 30, Im not particularly worried about that for a big man.

Setanta MUST be resigned, not only would it show a really positive aspect of club culture to prospective players, he really does have something to offer the team both on and off the field. Would much sooner sign him to a 2 year contract than Hall.

GWS recruited well for this year, but next year, when all those senior blokes retire, you will need some leadership. Keep yr young guns, but look for a couple of 26 to 28 yo pro's who can take control of a game. Maybe one at each end of the park, but moreso in the forward line

Gongswan,

I actually dont agree. - I think they should replace the one-last-season Geriatrics With Scully with another batch of Geriatrics With Scully.

My logic is that 26-28 year olds with the ability to control the game are very expensive, because lots of clubs want them - we're talking the likes of Clark and Cloke.

Therefore, we re-sign Setanta as the extra big, and look for another Power and another MacDonald - long term professionals, eased out of their old club.

I wouldnt be amazed to see Bevan be called up from the WAFL, for example.

Interesting thing in the article is we are after more 2nd tier players so rather then use the extra 1.5mil we have to play with on one player we are more likely to chase 3-4 solid players

Gilbert, 25,the most durable player on the Saints' list -- he's played 63 straight games -- has been linked to GWS, which is understood to be keen to attract more second-tier players this year, as opposed to a high-profile signing.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...-to-keep-gilbert/story-fnca0u4y-1226363914274

And along the lines of going after 2nd tier players we still showing some interest in Warnock but doubt we doing this with a few different ruckman

"We definitely haven't signed with GWS. Four other clubs have said to me what GWS has. (Giants list manager) Steve Silvagni said if he isn't signed by round 22

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...rms-gws-interest/story-e6frf3e3-1226364099838

Interesting to hear Silvagni say on the weekend that we have expressed interest in Goddard to his management that said Silvagni did say he expected him to re-sign with the saints. Also he indicated that we would most likely have 2 of our vets do another year as players rather then have them all move into ft coaching roles next year

We can't have a situation where all 4 oldies retire in one hit. Keeping two on the playing list worthwhile, hopefully adding one or two other mature players in the off-season to keep the team ticking along and ward off the second year blues.

Agree with others that it would be good to retain Setanta for a couple more years.

Surely GWS won't be wasting their time on driblers like Gilbert who'd add absolutely nothing to their list.

Ben Reid however is out of contract and would be a great pick up. Every extra cent Cloke manages to scrounge out of Collingwood is coming directly from Reid's next contract and Beams has probably also jumped him in the contract pecking order in the last few weeks. He'd have to atleast be tempted by what GWS could offer, twice as many years four times as much money.

Another player that would nicely complement the giants list is Tom Bellchambers, not sure if he's out of contract or not but as i expect in a few years Patty Ryder to be Essendons number one ruckman with Daniher as a KPF and back up, i'm not sure if long term there is a spot for him. Bellchambers say he sees himself as a number one ruckmen but was dropped again last week for Hille. Could potentially be what the bombers have to lose if they are serious about getting Josh Caddy.

Ben Reid however is out of contract and would be a great pick up. Every extra cent Cloke manages to scrounge out of Collingwood is coming directly from Reid's next contract and Beams has probably also jumped him in the contract pecking order in the last few weeks. He'd have to atleast be tempted by what GWS could offer, twice as many years four times as much money.

Ben Reid's name comes up often in these sorts of discussions - he would be a fantastic addition to GWS.

Thomas Murphy? ;)

Not the worst pick up. I wouldn't be suprised if gws rookie list a couple of players in their mid 20's with afl experience, to add some depth in case of injuries, and provide some on field leadership to their struggling reserves team.

Unfortuantely for the Hawks i see them getting much, if anything, in return.

Remove this Banner Ad

GWS Uncontracted and Free Agency Targets 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Back