GWS Uncontracted and Free Agency Targets 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

setana could be useful as well. giles,seaby,grundy,brogan prety useful. you would think none of these would want mega bucks & there is room on the list for a year or 2.

Trent West is staying at the Cats and the Dogs are confident in retaining Minson.

Running out of targets. McIntosh?

McIntosh would be a much better acquisition then Mison or West in any case. Still think Tommy Bellchambers is the man, though might be harder to get after his last two weeks. Those two mini draft picks will be very usefull this year.

McIntosh would be a much better acquisition then Mison or West in any case. Still think Tommy Bellchambers is the man, though might be harder to get after his last two weeks. Those two mini draft picks will be very usefull this year.

TBell is required, but we need him less than we need quality in the midfield. You could get him if you really wanted him. If you get Grundy why would you need him though, Giles is good at the moment and Grundy is developed enough to play quickly.

I actually don't think the ruck is our biggest problem. Giles , Folau, Phillips, O'Hailpin, Downie and maybe Frost who took a couple of bounces on the weekend. Don't know much about Downie but all the rest can go forward as well.

People keep saying we should have gotten more mature bodies rather than the young kids, but you have to remember O'Hailpin and Reid should be there but for injury - even a mid like Steve Clifton is a more mature body than the kids but has been out with wrist and leg injuries for much of the year and is only now starting to get some game time into him.

What we need is some players who can get it out of defence because once we're in our half of he ground we don't suck as much. It's just getting out of the back line that's the most immediate problem to solve. Need a Josh Hunt type who can roost the ball 80 meters. Luke Power, for all his experience and I love him, always and can only, chip short starting us off behind the eight-ball.

I think key defender and a running defender. You are correct we need some dash out of the back line. My choice would be Harry O'brien. Surely The Pies can't fit him and everyone else under the cap?
As a key, Matthew Scarlett could be a reasonable option for a 1yr (save some $$ to lock in the youngsters in future years). Heard he is not renewing with the Cats next season. Also some more experience to help Mohr and "Sticks" Davis.

Ben Reid another option that would really make Eddie 'go feral' if we nabbed him and Harry O!
It is often the backs turning the ball over that is hurting us on the scoreboard.

Fits the 'Geriatrics With Scully' model, especially if we're willing to give him weeks off.

I reckon he'd be cherry ripe for the season, it was touch or go as to whether he would stay on or not - but most thought he'd be up to playing another season.

Chad will stay on another season, but he'll be slowing down even more by next year, Matty Scarlett would be a brilliant inclusion.

I don't know what he's planning, it's probably a long shot, but geez, if you were sheeds and sos, you'd be making phone calls right now.

Doesn't Scarlett want to go back and play a year or two with his local junior footy club - put something back etc. It's a nice idea from him and I just cannot see him in any other AFL jumper apart from a Geelong one. Scarlett is a pipe dream for us, if the Cats can't talk him in to staying on, then Sheeds and SOS won't have any luck either.

As for the suggestion of Harry O. I love it, he is the one Collingwood player I'd take but he's also on record as saying he's quite happy to get less money if he can play with his mates. He'll re-sign with the Wobbles.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

David Matthews indicates we are unlikely to go for a big name

Matthews said the Giants, who have two wins this season, would be chasing five victories next year and would need to recruit some more experienced players to reach that target.
But he said they would be more in line with seasoned veteran recruits such as Chad Cornes and Luke Power than a marquee player like Collingwood's Travis Cloke.
"I don't think it's actually a necessity to get maturity that you've got to go for a really high-priced uncontracted player," he said.

http://news.brisbanetimes.com.au/br...wn-roos-afl-coaching-talk-20120825-24sy9.html

How many players do you need to cut back on for 2013? What will be your new list size?

2012 - 44-50 senior list, nine rookies with $640,000 - $1m TPP extra allowance;
2013 - 44-50 senior list, nine rookies with $640,000 - $1m TPP extra allowance;
2014 - 44-50 senior list, nine rookies with $640,000 - $1m TPP extra allowance;
2015 - 44-48 senior list, nine rookies with $640k - $880k TPP extra allowance;
2016 - 42-46 senior list, nine rookies with $520k - $760k TPP extra allowance;
2017 - 40-44 senior list, nine rookies with $400k - $640k TPP extra allowance;
2018 - 38-42 senior list, nine rookies with $200k - $520k TPP extra allowance;
2019 - 38 senior list, nine rookies in line with other AFL clubs.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/86738/default.aspx

2012 - 44-50 senior list, nine rookies with $640,000 - $1m TPP extra allowance;
2013 - 44-50 senior list, nine rookies with $640,000 - $1m TPP extra allowance;
2014 - 44-50 senior list, nine rookies with $640,000 - $1m TPP extra allowance;
2015 - 44-48 senior list, nine rookies with $640k - $880k TPP extra allowance;
2016 - 42-46 senior list, nine rookies with $520k - $760k TPP extra allowance;
2017 - 40-44 senior list, nine rookies with $400k - $640k TPP extra allowance;
2018 - 38-42 senior list, nine rookies with $200k - $520k TPP extra allowance;
2019 - 38 senior list, nine rookies in line with other AFL clubs.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/86738/default.aspx

Wow... ok so unlike the GC you don't have to have a major cull after one season....

We do if we want to sign any draftees :)

The other problem is what do you trade kids for ... draft picks means other kids, and quality players need cap room as well as trade currency.

I think you guys will be pretty quiet in trade week... unless it involves upgrading picks and offloading the star 17 year olds to other clubs. I reckon the GC will give you #2 and Melb a good chance to give you #3 for a couple of the 17 yr olds :)

How many players do you need to cut back on for 2013? What will be your new list size?

Because we can have up to 50 players on our list and we only have 44 on our list currently (as izzy isn't counted) we don't need to cut any players but Sheedy has said we will add 10 new players in 2013. So we already have 6 spaces, we have 3 vets moving into full time coaching and I expect us to delist Clifton so that would allow 10 spaces on our list to fill.

Apparently Shane Tuck is yours. :( Forgive me for intruding .... I'm heading back to the Richmond board to kill myself now.

Remove this Banner Ad

GWS Uncontracted and Free Agency Targets 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Back