GWS Uncontracted and Free Agency Targets 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Not the worst pick up. I wouldn't be suprised if gws rookie list a couple of players in their mid 20's with afl experience, to add some depth in case of injuries, and provide some on field leadership to their struggling reserves team.

Unfortuantely for the Hawks i see them getting much, if anything, in return.

He's a free agent

He's a free agent

Being a free agent is all well and good if multiple clubs are interested. Big Moose would it be fair to say that he won't get offered a contract extention at Hawthorn? and i can't think of many clubs in real need of a third tall type. If Bocks recovery isn't tracking along overly well maybe Gold Coast will give him go.

Being a free agent is all well and good if multiple clubs are interested. Big Moose would it be fair to say that he won't get offered a contract extention at Hawthorn? and i can't think of many clubs in real need of a third tall type. If Bocks recovery isn't tracking along overly well maybe Gold Coast will give him go.

I can't see him getting one unless he starts to get game consistently & Murphy won't fit in our backline. Because for the future we do have Suckers, Schoenmakers, Stratts, Hodgey & Birch. Then all we need are replacements for Guerra - Duryea, Gilham - At the moment Boumann, Gibson - Cheney. So doubt he would get a extension.

Adelaide's Michael Doughty is an unrestricted free agent at the end of this year. Still playing well at the moment, but might be move on at the end of the year to create opportunity for younger players at the Crows. He would be a perfect 1-2 year fit for GWS in my opinion, playing that mentoring role in defence.

GREATER Western Sydney coach Kevin Sheedy says he will be on the lookout for dissatisfied players from other clubs during the off-season in a bid to give the Giants' younger brigade more support.

Sheedy said after Saturday night's 94-point loss to the Sydney Swans at ANZ Stadium the Giants had to recruit some stronger players to help the young members of the squad.
Specifically, Sheedy earmarked players between the ages of 20 and 26, or "someone who has got a bit of life left in them".

"We will be out there scouring the countryside and looking at players that aren't happy at their club, who don't think they are getting a really good chance at their club," Sheedy said.

"If they are anywhere near off contract or if opposition clubs may let them go, then we will work out what can happen.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/140005/default.aspx

trent dennis lane, jessie white, & mark seaby from swans reserves could useful at budget costs for a few seasons to bolster the 2nds & rotate through 1sts allowing rest to young guys. tdl is playing very well & white is a big body who could good under sheeds & choco. white & seaby probably to be cut from swans.

trent dennis lane, jessie white, & mark seaby from swans reserves could useful at budget costs for a few seasons to bolster the 2nds & rotate through 1sts allowing rest to young guys. tdl is playing very well & white is a big body who could good under sheeds & choco. white & seaby probably to be cut from swans.
Any one of those who be a good pick up going into our second season.

Would you guys be interested in Slattery?? Tough, courageous small defender, Sheeds did draft him to the Bombers way back when... skills are what has let him down with us and the emergence of Hibbo, Heppell and Hardingham...

I'd prefer Seaby over Minson, but most of all I want a ruckman who is happy to be #2 to Giles, and know he's there to mentor Folau, Phillips and Downie.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Minson is a below average footballer. Surely there are better options available to GWS than Will Minson (ala the Seaby proposition).
If they must get an experienced ruckmen than I would suggest David Hille.
Besides Brogan we have a proven Giles, and Andrew Phillipes has come off the rookie list played some senior games and is now in the reserves getting BOGs. I think people also forget about Tom Downie, Gws had all the picks in the first round but only one other pick up in the 50s I believe and they must have thought about this pick carefully. Setanta can also ruck and we have the up coming draft to get another ruckmen as well.

I don't want to see players like Minson stink up the list.

If they must get an experienced ruckmen than I would suggest David Hille.
Besides Brogan we have a proven Giles, and Andrew Phillipes has come off the rookie list played some senior games and is now in the reserves getting BOGs. I think people also forget about Tom Downie, Gws had all the picks in the first round but only one other pick up in the 50s I believe and they must have thought about this pick carefully. Setanta can also ruck and we have the up coming draft to get another ruckmen as well.

I don't want to see players like Minson stink up the list.
You can add me to that list snitzel. I've taken a fond liking to GWS. Adding a player such as Minson offers them nothing on the field other than recruiting a big body. Given their position, GWS is perfectly placed to move assets if they prefer to go down a more established avenue.

i have always been a fan off seaby, jessie white [ swans probaly delist both] & draft grundy all big bodies .

Dont think Minson would leave the #1 ruck spot at the Doggies to become the #2 at the Giants. Plus having already taken Ward and Reid off the Doggies I dont think you guys are in the Doggies good books haha

More of a chance getting Robbie Warnock or Mark Seaby I reckon...

We
We could box up a couple and our top pick for a mini draft pick

That'd only work if you don't tell us what's in the box. :D

It also only works if those players want to go to GWS.

To be able to be traded, these players have to (a) have value, and (b) want to go to GWS.

If they have value, but dont want to go to GWS, they can say to the club that shopped them 'Stuff you lot of disloyal <expletive deleteds>, Im going in the preseason draft to a club that wont shop me'.

If they dont have value, then we dont want them, as we dont have as many list slots as people think we do.

Here is a write up on all the clubs from a free agency point of view
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/141723/default.aspx
And from our perspective:
GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY
Free agents: No players qualifyPotential targets: The Giants have some key targets that have already been identified - namely a ruckman and a key defender. Dean Brogan will turn to full-time coaching at season's end and they would love an experienced player to add to Jonathan Giles and Andrew Phillips. There just aren't many available, especially now that Robert Warnock has re-signed with Carlton. Will Minson could be a nice fit if they could pry him away from the Bulldogs. In terms of defenders, Bret Thornton, Ben Johnson or Jason Blake could fit the bill. Helping the Giants' cause, they are halfway through a two-year window where they can sign one player from each club, with plenty of options still available.
From the club: ''We need ruckmen and we need key backs. We'll go for a ruckman. We need another ruckman or two. And we're going to play all our current players and at the end of this year, we'll make decisions on their careers or where we're going to focus and where they're going to learn to play during the off-season. When the recruiting staff come to us at the end of the year and say, 'what do you actually need?' We're going to know." - GWS coach Kevin Sheedy.

Trent West is staying at the Cats and the Dogs are confident in retaining Minson.

Running out of targets. McIntosh?

Remove this Banner Ad

GWS Uncontracted and Free Agency Targets 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Back