News Hardwick Quits as coach of Richmond: Press Conference at 10:30am Tuesday

Remove this Banner Ad

Tassie aren't coming into the competition until 2028. My bet is he moves to the Gold Coast if Dew doesn't make the finals next year.

If the AFL have learned a thing or two in expansion, it’s getting the best in ( not a fossil like sheedy) and ge them in early. Would be a bit restful for dimma until the team starts playing

Cannot underestimate where he brought the tigers from.
Before essendon as the league laughing stock it was richmond for as long as we could all remember

3 flags is nothing to sneeze at
And i reckon he changed the way we viewed coaches a bit. Became personable, less serious, could make a joke about himself

Go well Dimma.

Loved that he's gone out on his own terms and not lingered.

Respect to him.

3 flags and the last ever dynasty.
Most premiership coaches get another crack if they want it, especially triple premiership coaches, but Mark Williams probably torched his reputation going too long. Probably a good move if he wants another crack. Delivered as much as anyone could have expected.

Relax for 8 months and return next year doing special comments in the media for $500k+ a year for the next 20 years

Not a bad life and he's earned it

This game eats coaches alive

Yep. The media gigs will be lining up for him in 2024.

Then he might return to coaching in 2025 if he still has the passion

Surprising news, I thought if any coach was going to quit this week it would have been Simpson at West Coast after that horror loss to Hawthorn.

Richmond probably won't be playing finals now but they were still playing some decent footy so it's strange timing to say the least.

You would have to think that there is something more to his decision to quit at this time than just on field football related reasons.

He has had a good run though and with 3 flags he will have to go down as one of Richmond's best ever coaches, they were a rabble when he took over.

Sits out next year to rejuvenate, Voss coaches with one hand behind his back and the speculation all year.

Seen it before with the year Malthouse sat out and the year Clarkson sat out.

History repeating.

Historically Hardwick has been a pretty poor coach. His sides spent a lot of time in the bottom 8.

Unsurprising from you to be giving that Pies guy a run for his money of worst take in the thread.

Hardwick inherited a historically bad list and made finals within 3 years, and 8/13 in total.

Jog on nuff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree. Why go now? You'd go at seasons end if you burnt out I reckon.

Huh?

Being burnt out means you really wanted to leave six months ago. You’ve already spent long enough fighting through treacle and would struggle to do it for another day let alone another 3 months

#JUSTICE4MRSHARDWICK

Seriously I think he has just suffered from burn out/exhaustion, saw signs of it a few times in his media conferences this year.

I don't think he will coach again tbh (we'll maybe not for a year or two)

Will be regarded as a Richmond coaching immortal, along with Tommy Hafey.

He would be mad if he's going to Carlton unless theyve offered him a fortune and he's doing it purely for the money their list is cooked. Even a 5 year rebuild at Richmond would have them on a quicker trajectory to success than Carlton

I'll be forever grateful to Damien Hardwick. What he did for the club will never be forgotten. Good on him for going out on his terms and putting the club first.

Ken Hinkley makes me nervous though. He seems to be coaching beautifully atm but Port fans have hated the man for years. I dont want that. Justin Leppitsch would have to be front of the queue.

I'm pretty sure when I was going home from work today in the city, I saw another former Essendon Champion.

He is going to win 4 premierships at Richmond and we can all trace it back to the week Essendon beat Richmond by 1 point with 7 seconds to go for the first time since 2014.

It will be beautiful.

Surprising news, I thought if any coach was going to quit this week it would have been Simpson at West Coast after that horror loss to Hawthorn.

Richmond probably won't be playing finals now but they were still playing some decent footy so it's strange timing to say the least.

You would have to think that there is something more to his decision to quit at this time than just on field football related reasons.

He has had a good run though and with 3 flags he will have to go down as one of Richmond's best ever coaches, they were a rabble when he took over.

Coaching for 13 years and entering your 2nd build surely allows for benefit of the doubt in regards to the cause being burnout and nothing more sinister. Taxing job and the build would be hard to wake up too after years of Jack, Dusty, Rance etc

If everything is above board, Suns need to be on the phone to him ASAP.

Rekon he's got a huge offer to take on the Tassie team.

Take 18 months off to refresh.
Take on the list build starting in 2025.
VFL in 26+27
AFL Launch in 2028 with JRoo as forwards coach.

Huh?

Being burnt out means you really wanted to leave six months ago. You’ve already spent long enough fighting through treacle and would struggle to do it for another day let alone another 3 months

I suspect he probably did want to go at the end of last year, but good mate Benny Gale talked him into staying

Historically Hardwick has been a pretty poor coach. His sides spent a lot of time in the bottom 8.

The fans of around 12 other clubs dream about their senior coach being as poor as Hardwick.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Hardwick Quits as coach of Richmond: Press Conference at 10:30am Tuesday

Remove this Banner Ad

Back